• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Too few female characters?

Butterfly

Auror
So overall women have advantage, they both survived, right?

Well, I was obviously exaggerating. Two women can do plenty of interesting things, but to guys fighting to the death seems more realistic to me. And I'm not claiming this is something to be proud of.

I'm going to recommend a read of this book. Violence: A Writer's Guide Second Edition eBook: Rory Miller, Steve Perry: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store Some of it is a bit harrowing in parts but it will dispel some myths.

C

Chessie

rather than simply just acknowledging that the character is really good at something and that's OK.
+1

Yes, we're built smaller but that doesn't mean that we can't achieve physical greatness. My mother-in-law, who is a tiny woman that barely reaches 5 foot, climbed Mt. McKinley at 95 lbs back in the 70s. That's 20,237 feet above sea level. She carried twice more weight than the men in her group. Having a small frame is actually an advantage in some situations...not to mention we move faster and have a good amount of stamina.

So to say that two women fighting a battle against men and that isn't realistic....well...that's totally bogus. That depends on whether the character in question is in good shape, if she's been trained to kill people, and what her mental state is. You know, the same as a man. Unbelievable that in the 21st century, women are still thought of as these weak figurines.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
@Valentinator

I'm afraid I'm still lost. I don't understand what point you are trying to make. :(

As I recall it all originally started with comments about gender biases (which in itself is pretty vague), but I'm not sure that's what's going on anymore.

Jabrosky

Banned
Whatever the aggregate strength difference between men and women, I estimate it's drastically smaller than the strength difference between Homo sapiens of either sex and your conventional fantasy dragon. You're already at a extreme physical disadvantage against a bus-sized carnivorous reptile with a thick scaly hide and bone-crushing jaws, so upgrading your own body mass by 15% isn't going to tip the scales in your favor by much. Either way, you have to be stupid or suicidal to think your brute strength alone will suffice against something with so much more of it. You're going to need different techniques for that one regardless of your reproductive equipment.

Valentinator

Minstrel
@Valentinator

I'm afraid I'm still lost. I don't understand what point you are trying to make. :(

As I recall it all originally started with comments about gender biases (which in itself is pretty vague), but I'm not sure that's what's going on anymore.

My point was that both genders have biases and stereotypes. Together they create sort of equilibrium. The last part is kind of subjective and a matter of personal perception.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
It's a demonstration, not a real fight.

Okay, let's go with women who fought to the death, shall we?

Anne Bonny, pirate - Anne Bonny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lagertha, Viking Shieldmaiden - Lagertha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boudica, Queen - Boudica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This whole list of female agents with the Special Operations Executive during WWII - List of female SOE agents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, hell, lets just end this now with the article that won the 2014 Hugo Award for Related Works - "'We Have Always Fought': Challenging the 'Women, Cattle and Slaves' Narrative" by Kameron Hurley - A Dribble of Ink

Steerpike

Felis amatus
That's all subjective, it's a matter of personal perception. Personally, a male that restores status quo of the world by killing another male who wants to destroy it is pretty much the same as two females doing nothing. Result is the same.

rXuxuEz.gif

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My point was that both genders have biases and stereotypes. Together they create sort of equilibrium. The last part is kind of subjective and a matter of personal perception.

Yes, there are biases and stereotypes for both genders, but I still don't agree that they balance each other out. I also don't feel that you've actually provided a good example of where this is the case.
Instead, I feel as if you've been enforcing/perpetuating the stereotype of women being weaker, less interesting, versions of men. It may not have been your intent, but it's what I've gotten out of it.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
@Valentinator With no due respect, what the **** are you even saying anymore? Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Let's make sure we keep personal attacks out of this discussion. People are entitled to their opinions and expressions.

Respect and tact is a requirement of passionate discussion here on Mythic Scribes.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Yes, there are biases and stereotypes for both genders, but I still don't agree that they balance each other out. I also don't feel that you've actually provided a good example of where this is the case.
Instead, I feel as if you've been enforcing/perpetuating the stereotype of women being weaker, less interesting, versions of men. It may not have been your intent, but it's what I've gotten out of it.
Besides, who wants to write stereotypical characters in the first place?