1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Too few female characters?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Trick, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Yeah! She's not only a fascinating chinese pirate, she's one of the most successful pirates of all the time. She's also a good example of how a woman can operate in an hostile environment and a patriarchal society, playing her role of "being a woman as it's expected", and still achieve impressive feats.

2. Gryphos

Gryphos Auror

Okay, but you're still implying that women cannot beat the dragon the same way the men can.

3. Valentinator

Valentinator Minstrel

We are talking about statistics here. Many knights were slayed by the dragon, one survived. In this case I suppose 15% make a difference.

4. Trick

Trick Auror

Physical competence and athletic prowess are not the same, nor are they mutually exclusive. I never said the word competent, you did. I find most woman to be more competent in most things than most men, only from personal experience of course, no studies or anything. A woman fighting a dragon, for instance, is totally plausible to me but a woman fighting men who are equally athletic and trained at level with her is less plausible. If she defeats one, great and believable. If she defeats ten back to back, which is so common in campy action movies, she is one hell of a strategist and I better know that before the scene takes place, because I would require the same of a male character.

Further. if I see one man who is significantly physically superior to other (closer to average) men I would absolutely reach the conclusion that he had higher male hormone levels than say, myself. I am tall but I am thin and not terribly athletic. I could put the work in but I will never be a bodybuilder without steroids. Some people can be incredible athletes with no unnatural treatments and that's wonderful but I'm not one of them. On the flip side, a sensitive man, let's say much more sensitive than average for argument's sake, could definitely have lower male hormones than the average but not necessarily. And being good with kids is neither a male nor female trait in my opinion, though apparently you would like to assume what my beliefs are based on completely unrelated information. Now, if I were to observe a man with a physical build more in line with the average female I might conclude that he was low on male hormones. That is not an insult, it's simply the way some people are born.

You are using a strawman in it's purest form. I said that women cannot compete blow for blow with men on a high athletic level and made no claims that women couldn't be good at "something." Every female athlete who reaches even a modicum of success could definitely kick my butt and I am not ashamed to admit it. Mostly because the whole concept of the strawman you erected is sheer nonsense, in my opinion.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Only true if strength is a significant factor to begin with, which is an assumption you make that is not necessarily true. GIven the size ans strength differential, you just just as "realistically" posit that wit and speed are the significant factors and the 15% strength difference is negligible.

6. Valentinator

Valentinator Minstrel

I don't know why but you're inferring that not behaving like a man is an insult. I actually think that different behavior is quite smart.

7. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Okay, I'm being deliberately silly here, but...
    [​IMG]
    I don't think 15% here or there would make much difference for this guy - and I can't even quite tell if it's a man or a woman.

8. Gryphos

Gryphos Auror

Again, are you or are you not saying that women cannot beat the dragon the same way as the men? This isn't about whether they should, this is purely about whether it is possible. And you appear to have been saying it is not possible for the women to beat the dragon the same way as the men.

9. ascanius

ascanius Inkling

edit: grr.. stupid browser tabs sorry

10. ascanius

ascanius Inkling

Night elf guy

I found the last 7 pages hilarious, for the seriousness of the topic seems people have a sense of humor. I really like your first post Jabrosky.

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Yeah. It's like saying a 15% stronger beetle is going to have a significant advantage in stopping me from stepping on it.

12. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

A 15% faster beetle may....

13. Butterfly

Butterfly Auror

So... if many knights were slayed... what did the one surviving knight do differently to all those other knights?

14. Svrtnsse

What if it's wearing makeup and bats its eyelashes in a very alluring way?

15. Valentinator

Valentinator Minstrel

Well I'm not an expert in dragon slaying. Are you? If not I'm not quite sure why do we keep arguing.

16. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

Hopefully that wouldn't make a difference for Steerpike.

17. Svrtnsse

Well, you know how cats are...

18. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Queen of Titania Moderator

I already mentioned Alice and the Jabberwocky in this thread, but I wanted to share a clip of the full battle just in case anyone is interested:

[video=youtube_share;kDmJj73G_JA]http://youtu.be/kDmJj73G_JA[/video]

That's some Dragon Slaying! XD

Butterfly likes this.
  19. cupiscent

cupiscent Sage

I do love a man in make-up...