• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Too many projects?

Incanus

Auror
Now I’ve went and done it. I was invited to join a new band (with old bandmates), and said yes.

This will likely impact my writing time, but hopefully only a little.

I first said I would probably only be able to show up twice a week, but we worked out a schedule last night that might just work. 3 times a week, but the 2 not on the weekend I can go to straight from work, and make it home before 8:00, which gives me about 2 hours writing time. If we can keep that schedule, I should be able, in theory, to get writing in on any or every of the seven days of the week, and still be in a band (and still have my day job).

Paid my first installment of rent for the rehearsal space, received my gate key and my studio key. That pretty well makes it ‘official’.

I’m now in the role of lead guitarist for the first time ever (used to play bass in most of my previous bands). I don’t do fancy stuff, or play 6 million notes in .1 seconds, but I get by all right.

Last year I picked up a nice new Les Paul Standard (not cheap!) with a bourbon-burst finish. She’s a real beauty, and plays like a dream. It will be a pleasure to play on that regularly.

Long Live Rock-----

pmmg

Myth Weaver
It's been a long time since I rock and rolled
It's been a long time since I did the stroll
Ooh let me get it back, let me get it back
Let me get it back, baby, where I come from

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Enjoy it. Noone ever faulted a writer for living too interesting of a life... Well maybe Martin, Rothfuss and a few others, but you haven't voiced any self-imposed publishing deadlines I reckon.

Incanus

Auror
...I have become comfortably numb...

Good observation, JB--I've already noticed ways in which each art form has had an effect on the other. I look at songwriting a little differently now.

No, no deadlines. I'm the slowest writer on this website, or at least tied with the slowest. My novel might, might be in the earliest stages of readiness in about a year-and-a-half from now.

Rexenm

Inkling
I have too many projects that never pan-out. But then I get back on the horse, and I’m on top of the world. Then I listen to my wife and daughter, home-schooled, start repudiating. They have so many clubs and lessons, that it appears I am in limbo, and not actually there. They could start duelling at any second now.

Incanus, my father has a Les Paul, and he is still surfing.

Incanus

Auror
I have too many projects that never pan-out. But then I get back on the horse, and I’m on top of the world. Then I listen to my wife and daughter, home-schooled, start repudiating. They have so many clubs and lessons, that it appears I am in limbo, and not actually there. They could start duelling at any second now.

Incanus, my father has a Les Paul, and he is still surfing.
Hold on... I'm from California. The stratocaster is the electric guitar most associated with surfing. Heard of Dick Dale?

Rexenm

Inkling
I had to google him. I have an Ibanez, but he has a Fender. He brings up the old story of the Telecaster versus the Stratocaster.

Now I’ve went and done it. I was invited to join a new band (with old bandmates), and said yes.

This will likely impact my writing time, but hopefully only a little.

I first said I would probably only be able to show up twice a week, but we worked out a schedule last night that might just work. 3 times a week, but the 2 not on the weekend I can go to straight from work, and make it home before 8:00, which gives me about 2 hours writing time. If we can keep that schedule, I should be able, in theory, to get writing in on any or every of the seven days of the week, and still be in a band (and still have my day job).

Paid my first installment of rent for the rehearsal space, received my gate key and my studio key. That pretty well makes it ‘official’.

I’m now in the role of lead guitarist for the first time ever (used to play bass in most of my previous bands). I don’t do fancy stuff, or play 6 million notes in .1 seconds, but I get by all right.

Last year I picked up a nice new Les Paul Standard (not cheap!) with a bourbon-burst finish. She’s a real beauty, and plays like a dream. It will be a pleasure to play on that regularly.

Long Live Rock-----
🤘Rock On🤘
I've got an old Artcore semi-hollow body Ibanez, but my BABY is a cherry red Burnside Lance.

Incanus

Auror
Here's what we were doing about 10-15 years ago if anyone's curious. It was a recording band only, having only 2 or 3 members, so we didn't perform any of this live.

She sounds beautiful. Any chance of a picture?

Music is very suited to do with other people, compared to writing which is a lot more solitary.

In the end, do what makes you feel happy and sane. If playing guitar with others brings you pleasure, then you'll also be able to write more I believe. It takes a long time to write a novel. You might as well have fun while getting to the finishline.

Incanus

Auror
I can't seem to paste pictures in.

A quick search for - Les Paul Standard bourbon burst - ought to do the trick though.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping for some cross-inspiration with this other project