• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Typing Speed

Chilari

Staff
I'm much slower: 50 words per minute. But I times myself once, for 1 minute, typing whatever I felt like - just a load of rubbish going on about how I was typing to test my speed - and I got 75 words in that minute. I guess it depends, though.

Xanados

Maester
Yeah. My average is 94 WPM. 75-80 is the average typing speed of my friends, which is odd because they have been typing for as long as me. I'm actually applying for typist jobs. My C.V (Resume) is tailored to that sort of thing. ;)

Last edited:

pskelding

Troubadour
116 wpm -- I was a computer programmer about 10 years ago and hardcore IRC'er so I've had plenty of practice. I think I'm slower now than before when I really had to grind out code for scripting languages.

Xanados

Maester
116 wpm -- I was a computer programmer about 10 years ago and hardcore IRC'er so I've had plenty of practice. I think I'm slower now than before when I really had to grind out code for scripting languages.
What is your average speed?

Xanados

Maester
I'm going to make a leaderboard.

1: Pskelding -116
2: Starconstant -110
3: Xanados - 104
4: Chilari-50
5-Rheadin -40

Last edited:

Kelise

Maester
110 wpm has been my average over these past few years. I'm better when typing from my head and not looking at random gibberish words in a line. Especially when word-warring with a friend and using Write or Die.

Xanados

Maester
110 wpm has been my average over these past few years. I'm better when typing from my head and not looking at random gibberish words in a line. Especially when word-warring with a friend and using Write or Die.
Is 110 your officially tested speed? If not, it doesn't count! =P

Kelise

Maester
Yes, it is. 110 wpm is my tested - random gibberish words.

I'm better than that when I get to write what I like.

Xanados

Maester
Well, considering I'm only 18, I still have a long time to practice. I'm 104 now, so I'll be about 120 in a year or so.

Fnord

Troubadour
77 words per minute, one missed word.

Interestingly I'm sort of hobbled because I have very poor technique. I only use the index finger of my left hand and three fingers on my right hand. I broke my left hand in college and was writing several papers over the period of time it had to heal so I ended getting so fast at one finger typing that I never "unlearned" it. I imagine if i bothered to relearn it, I'd type way faster but at this point it doesn't much matter.

People love watching me type though, because it looks so ridiculous. My ten-key speed is ridiculous (mainly because it's all right hand).

Vandroiy

Dreamer
Seriously: when I started trying to write a story, I typed exclusively on a mobile phone. I still do at times, to keep my speed down.

Why do you try to increase your typing speed for fiction writing? I'm very concerned that I do not take sufficient time to think about what I type. Typing speed is great when chatting or writing forum posts -- I love my Razer Tarantula, took me some time to pick a favorite keyboard -- but I cannot possibly imagine it to be the bottleneck when writing a story!

Xanados

Maester
I don't think anyone here is saying that they increase their speed for fiction writing. I just type fast for any general use.

You type 213 characters per minute
You have 39 correct words and
you have 0 wrong words

I was being slow... :( I know I can do much better then that.
I have taken test in the past years ago that gave me a speed of over 100. But that was way back in the day when I did not have to look at the keys... I'm old and blind these days :p so oh well. anywhere between 40-80 when I have to re type something I see, but if it is from my head I can still click em out at about 115 or so.

Last edited:

Superderek

Dreamer
40 words per minute :eek: I must go to my corner to cry....
Heh, move along sir, someone even slower here.

"Your typing speed was: 37wpm. You made 2 mistakes."
I'm naturally slower at writing by hand too so it only makes sense. I do tend to instantly go back and fix stuff. I fixed one thing but I missed a word or two that I never even use. :eek:

Taking notes in college because of this speed can be a real pain!

Edit: Did I forget to mention that I usually type with just my index fingers? I sometimes use the other parts of my hand to type but truthfully, I am so used to typing this way it is sad.

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
You type 213 characters per minute
You have 39 correct words and
you have 0 wrong words

I was being slow... :( I know I can do much better then that.
I have taken test in the past years ago that gave me a speed of over 100. But that was way back in the day when I did not have to look at the keys... I'm old and blind these days :p so oh well. anywhere between 40-80 when I have to re type something I see, but if it is from my head I can still click em out at about 115 or so.
What is your WPM? 39?

Superderek: I'm not trying to be offensive in anyway, but I don't see how somone can be that slow ;) Typing at around 92/104, is just natural for me.

Last edited:

Helbrecht

Minstrel
Dyspraxia be damned, I can manage ninety words a minute when I'm really trying. When I'm not, I can hit about seventy if I know exactly what I'm going to say and fifty if I have to stop and think.

Shadoe

Sage
I suck. Best I can do is 71 wpm on that test. I think I'd do better if it had sentences instead of random words. I used to be better.

Pretty sucky wpm for a writer...

Dreamer

Dreamer
I just took the test and I type 73 wpm, with no errors. I have been typing for about 20 years or so now. I thought I was doing
pretty good until I saw some of the other scores being over 100! I guess I need some more practice still.