• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using Real-World Words for Fantasy Concepts

So didn't know what regex or regexp stood for -_- thanks for the education though!

...Ooh! Cool! All sorts of math involved with this.

-_- although as someone that teaches about "greedy" algorithms, I am slightly perturbed by their definition...even though it makes sense. I've always taught "greedy" algorithms as choosing the best option as soon as possible without mind for the future...they are calling this "lazy" algorithms and "greedy" algorithms are those that "eat" everything they can.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Don't feed the
trollface-mini%5B1%5D.png

But I'm so hungry!

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
Steering away from the land of technicality.... I think if your readers were meant to be children something like Komodo would be fitting. They read such titles as Captain Underpants.... So yes, for childrens fantasy it is ok to be odd or obvious.

I don't know why adults have to be so judgmental! <---- Sarcasm? Not too sure myself.

Ghost

Inkling
It was about all the talk of Komode dragons and the commode joke. I thought of a silly little story.

Nevermind.

Jess A

Archmage
I don't have a big issue with Komodo Empire...I would prefer to see it described as something else, but as a reader, I wouldn't jump up and down about it. If anything, it'd give me a great visual for the characters.

shangrila

Inkling
Steering away from the land of technicality.... I think if your readers were meant to be children something like Komodo would be fitting. They read such titles as Captain Underpants.... So yes, for childrens fantasy it is ok to be odd or obvious.
Haha, I loved those books when I was a kid.

Also, to add to the discussion, I think you can get away with using uncommon names and words. For example, in the Bas-Lag series you have the khepri (egyptian), vodyanoi (slavic) and garuda (hindu) races, all names of mythological creatures that end up feeling both familiar and yet new.

Last edited: