• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

C

Chessie

The Green Mile is excellent. Basically, I love pretty much anything he does. End of story. :D

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Currently reading: A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. Because it was on my list. It's way out of my interest range, but Irving has too good a reputation simply to ignore him.

I'm less than a quarter of the way through the book, but I see Irving doing one thing (at least!) deftly. Much of the book is anecdotal (told first person). Small town stories, family stories, almost to the point of trivial. Then he will quietly lay in a surprise. These range from small curiosities to rather horrifying bombshells, each delivered in an unblinking cinema verité manner that is arresting. I'm not sure how applicable this would be in epic fantasy, but it does make me wonder how Irving decided exactly where to place his surprises.

Russ

Istar
Just started Lee Child's "Night School". Same excellent lean prose and sharp wit as usual but a very different plot and a story fro when Reacher was still working for the military. Quite enjoying it.

cydare

Minstrel
I'm reading Six of Crows right now, and am very pleasantly surprised in how much better I like it than the last novel I read by the author (Shadow and Bone, which definitely wasn't for me).

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Read The Last Unicorn over the weekend, and now I'm working my way through Tales From the Perilous Realm. Both are very entertaining. ^^

Mythopoet

Auror
I've started reading Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz. It is supposed to be one of the classics of its time, but so far is not really grabbing me. It's easy to read, so I'll probably finish it anyway, but I'm just not really invested even a quarter of the way through. There are no characters whom I can really care about or feel compelled to follow through the story.

C

Chessie

I keep expecting Cary Elwes to pop out of the book but alas...no such luck.

Mythopoet

Auror
Didn't he? I could have sworn Buttercup's Baby was a real thing... (and no, I'm not mixing it up with Rosemary's Baby. XD)

It is a thing. But it's only a chapter. (And can be found in anniversary editions of Princess Bride.) He never finished it because he didn't know what to do with the story.

C

Chessie

Oh, Rosemary's Baby. Is there such thing as a novel? I thought it was only the movie. And speaking of horror, I downloaded an H.P. Lovecraft's greatest hits on my Kindle. Already dove into Call Of Cthulu so Princess Bride may have to wait until my horror need passes...