• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Mythopoet

Auror
I finished Deryni Rising and found it to be a rather mediocre and predictable fantasy novel. Perhaps because it was written in the 60s when there still wasn't a lot of epic fantasy out there. There wasn't anything wrong with the book. It was competently written and had a decent high fantasy plot. But I found its predictability boring. I don't think I'll be picking up any other books in the series because this first one really didn't do anything to make me feel interested in the world or the Deryni.

It does make me wonder if the things we are writing today will have the same affect on people reading them 50 years from now. All the things we think are original and exciting, will they have become pale and mundane to future readers?

I picked up the book Sabriel by Garth Nix from the library and so far I am greatly enjoying it. Sabriel is a wonderful character and the magic of this world is quite fascinating. There's plenty of fantasy action and mystery too. Hopefully it stays good to the end.

Mythopoet

Auror
So yesterday I ended up laying in bed sick as a dog all day and ended up finishing Sabriel. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. Loved the characters and the worldbuilding and the epic conflict between Life and Death. My only complaint is how abruptly it ended (which I made a thread about elsewhere).

Nimue

Auror
Okay, A) I'm super jealous that you're getting to read that series for the first time, it has literally been my favorite since 4th grade. Fantastic world building.

B) I definitely agree about the sudden ending...and as a warning there's a little bit of that through the other books. I love a good denouement or epilogue myself, so that is something I've always wished for from those books, but it almost feels as though the sequels provide some of that resolution. I'd highly recommend reading the rest of the series--and lucky you, you can read Goldenhand right away instead of having to wait ten years for it! I will say, though, that Sabriel is still my favorite--its biggest flaw being that there isn't more of it, in the way that Lirael and Abhorsen were fleshed-out.

Mythopoet

Auror
I will say, though, that Sabriel is still my favorite--its biggest flaw being that there isn't more of it

Yes, I agree with that. It was immensely enjoyable, right up until there wasn't any more to read! I complain, but in this particular case the story and worldbuilding was more than good enough to make up for the lack of more resolution. Fortunately my local library has Lirael so I'll probably pick that up soon.

I just got through The Winter of the Fisher by Cameron Langford, which was an interesting read if a little contrived at points. I'm about to start on The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

Incanus

Auror
^^Oh, nice. LLL was a good, fun read.

Yesterday I picked up the anthology, The Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror 2016.

Even though there'll probably be a 2017 one out soon, I thought it might be a good idea to look at some recent stuff. This is a great way to take in a wide variety of authors, most of them new to me. So far, so good. The first story was great, and the next one looks pretty good too.

I'm nearly finished with Enemy (On the Bones of Gods, Book 1) by K. Eason. It's a story about the struggle for survival in a harsh world. When I first started reading the book, I wasn't sure I'd care for the author's style. As I mentioned in another thread, the author uses a lot of sentence fragments. The style has grown on me.

The author uses a few techniques that some might think gimmicky. For instance, she'll break a sentence right in the middle to insert an additional, clarifying

tension-building

word or phrase that the character is thinking at that exact moment. Whether it can be considered gimmicky or not, I like the end result.

X Equestris

Maester
I read "The Music Room" by Stephen King today. Despite being really short (only about two pages), it was remarkably creepy.

In other news, I finally finished A Dance with Dragons recently. Now to wait for The Winds Of Winter.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, but I may be giving it up soon. It was fun and intriguing for a while, but I'm about a third of the way in and I still don't really know what's at stake. If it weren't for the title, I wouldn't know who the main characters of the novel were, either. It's all getting a bit, er, Dickensian for my taste.

Besides, I'm also reading One of Ours, by Willa Cather, which feels rather meatier. One or the other is going to win out.

I just finished Blood for Blood, second book in Ryan Graudin's excellent YA duology (consisting of Wolf by Wolf and Blood for Blood.) And AAAAAAAAAA it hurts. Everything hurts. My emotions are dying.

These books were so good. The writing is amazing, the characters so well-drawn, and SO ACTION PACKED. So much suspense. And it's free of the plagues that ravage YA (love triangles, weak, weepy heroines, romance-overwhelmed plots)

Seriously I'm so hyper. What do I do with myself. I was doing intervals of push-ups but that hasn't helped calm me down. My brain is fried from nearly 5 hours of nonstop reading.

These books are amazing. I know some of you read and enjoy YA so PLEASE pick them up. But brace your emotions.

Gah. PAAAAAAAAAAAAIN.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm rereading The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay. Book one of the Fionavar trilogy. Not entirely sure why. I read it years ago and had the urge to read it again. Surprisingly, I'm actually enjoying it far more this time around.

Also reading The Jacket or The Star Rover (depending on where it was published) by Jack London. As far as I know, it's his only fantasy novel, in which a man under torture in prison goes into a trance state that allows him to remember his previous lives. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm enjoying it. The first person narrator has a very compelling voice.

C

Chessie

:cool: This post is for Nimue who has a full inbox: (thanks for the recs!!)

Fantasy Romance

-Entreat Me, Grace Draven (she is simply AMAZING and I've been meaning to get into the rest of her list)
-Eidolon, ^^
-The Sorcerer's Concubine, Jaclyn Dolamore
-The Sorcerer's Wife, ^^
-The Fire Lord's Lover, Kathrynne Kennedy
-Harvest Moon, Mercedes Lackey (whom I adore btw)
-The Lady Of The Storm, Kathryne Kennedy (her Elven Lords series is one to look into if you like that sort of thing. I couldn't make it past this book lol)

And those are just a few for now, as I'm still making my way through the fantasy romance reading list. These are all authors work checking out though, and actually the first 2 are Indie but Draven is on the USA Best Sellers list. Also, there is Jeffe Kennedy who also writes in this genre. I hope you find something you like!

Nimue

Auror
Haha, whoops! Right now I am reading nothing but I think that's about to be remedied... Thanks Chessie! :D

C

Chessie

Taking it back to 1946: Leave Her To Heaven. I've watched the movie a dozen times because not only is it super good, but it has Gene Tierney in it, who is one of my favorite actresses of all time. So far, the English is chewy. It does have a somewhat foreboding feel to it...but that's probably because I know what a psycho this woman is. Anyway, it's definitely something else.