• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What styles of writing do you think best fit your world-building (and why you're good at it)?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
The nerve, putting off a war for 75 years.

Yep...no weathertops.

That's one thing that vexes me. I am writing book three, and something comes up that makes me go...Oh, I need to add that in book one. How can I publish book one, when stuff may pop up that makes me want to add more detail? I dont know.
Stuff will pop up, before, during, and long after publication. I know I constantly pick at our first three books, and I do find things that I could add, but there comes a point where we need to put the manuscript down and move on to the next thing.

And then leave it alone.

When these thoughts pop up, make note of them so you don't lose them, and then decide if the new information is really crucial or not. Series length is going to have an impact here. We're working on a long-running series, so we have more wiggle room to add to our worldbuilding and metaplot. A trilogy needs to be more contained. You can write a trilogy in one shot and have all your details in order before you publish. With a long-running series things can and do change. The only thing to be done is to build on what you've already written and keep moving forward.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
So far, I've encountered nothing outside of a couple of "coulda"s that mean nothing, apparently, since I can't even recall what they were. Now, my upcoming book about the Contessa has gone much slower than I'd like, in large part because I don't want to screw up anything else in the other future books, or have them come back to screw with the Contessa. She wouldn't like that much.

But, that sort of situation is a fear.