• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What to call this population

Kit

Maester
My MC's live in loose transient camps deep in a swamp.

I need a way for them to refer to the farmers, city folk, etc who do not live in the swamps. Don't want to use "drylanders" because isn't "wetlanders" what Jordan used for the non-Aiel? "Outlanders" seems kind of hackneyed as well. I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas? Trying to keep it kind of simple. The name may be slightly contemptuous, but I'm not wedded to that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dryfoots, dryfeet, dirtfeet, dirtwalkers, dirtsiders. I don't think "drylanders" is that big a deal, as long as the swamp folks aren't anything like the Aiel. To the Aiel, the wetlanders were a strange "other" rather than just being people who happened to not live in the wastelands. They were culturally completely different. I don't know how your swamp folk relate to your non-swamp folk, but that would affect it.

Kit

Maester
Thanks, I like a couple of those ideas a lot better than anything I was coming up with!

Also considering something referring to the non-swamp folk wearing shoes while the swamp folk never do. ("Shod Ones"?)

No way on "drylanders", though- I *really* want to avoid any Jordanization in my story!

Solomon Tan

Minstrel
Swamp things? just joking..

Hmmm... any other characteristics to differ the two? Like does the swamp folks harvest food from the swamp, or are they avoiding the non swamp folks due to their way of life? Or were they outcasts? not everyone loves the swamp...

Phoenix

Troubadour
"The Dry People?' To be quiet honest anything involving dry would probably work. If the Swap people are simple minded a name like that won't seem so stupid.

Kit

Maester
They're not simple-minded, just direct... and unlikely to use some flowery eight-syllable name when something more no-nonsense will do.