1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What type of Writer are You?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by yoffi, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Hir i-Chorvath

Hir i-Chorvath Auror

Spontaneous bouts of obsessiveness.

2. Futhark

Futhark Inkling

Architectural

3. Adela

Adela Scribe

Visual, as well... When I can stop procrastinating long enough.

4. buster13h

buster13h New Member

I am trying for a mesh of Bujold-Lawrence-Jordan-and a splash of Eddings. I don't know how it reads, but it is what I hope for.

5. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I've noticed that this thread has wandered a bit, as threads will. The OP asked not about work habits but about writing style. Here is her elaboration on that.
    >Yes style, to me, is sentence structure, rhyme, how words sing off a page, breadth of vocabulary, comedy, rhythm.

With that, I'd say my style is a bit old-fashioned. I'm not afraid of periodic sentences. I'm not fond of flowery prose, but I do appreciate a well-done simile or metaphor. I fancy I have managed to write one or two in my books. If comedy happens, it happens between characters, usually in gentler forms. I shy away from comedy in the narrator. That works for more modern settings, but too often it's little more than snark, and snark ain't funny. I enjoy striving for distinct voices in my characters and struggle to keep those voices distinguishable from the narrative voice.

Does that help? I wonder why the question was posed in the first place.

6. Futhark

Futhark Inkling

Still architectural. I’m very much at the nuts and bolts stage. A lot of hammering, very little singing.