• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

I read on here about using the MBTI for character developement, I tried it, and I'm curious whether anyone else has. First of all, I took it for myself, and I'm an INTJ on 3 different sites, ISTJ on just 1, scored consistently on all 4 times. After studying up, these results make quite a bit of sense. Now normally I'm very skeptical of mainstream psychology, a skepticism typical of both of my supposed types, but this test is creepy accurate. Dx It was strange reading almost every flaw and every asset about myself just listed out like that. Not sure how much to believe it, but I'd highly recommend it, as it at least seems pretty spot on. Then I took the test for several of my characters, and I was amazed by how much they came to life. The hard part, at least for me, was to not answer as my self. My supposed type also being very analytical and arrogant, which is certainly true for me, I'd start thinking "Why the hell would anyone in their right mind answer this differently?" xD

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
HA! I'm ESFP or ENFP, so I could probably help you understand why people would answer differently, since it seems I'm your opposite. It's weird, we've had this discussion here before, and a lot of the scribes had very similar results. I think there were only three or four of us who turned out to be Extroverts.

I"ve never done this for a character, but I've used an enneagram chart before, which I felt helped a lot.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
"You have a tendency to procrastinate until there is not enough time to do everything.".... These tests are too real.

I took 1 test and it said MEDIATOR (INFP-A). Slightly introverted, very intuïtive, slightly feeling (as opposed to thinking), Very prospecting (as opposed to judging) and slightly assertive. I was initially surprised by this, because i used to be a very introverted and logical thinking teenager, but after a little thinking about it i can agree that i have become a lot more caring and outgoing.

Did another one, INFP again.

I think your idea for applying this to characters could work really well. I think i'll try it myself.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
LOL Banten!

I'm an INFP too! We make up less than 1% of the population :)

Nice to meet another one!

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Really we are only 1%?

I have a positive reason to call myself special now!

Nice to know haha.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm also an INTJ, like the OP. The "Mastermind," as I understand it.

These tests are kind of cool. If you're looking for a simple way to define your character's personality, this is a good framework.

But if you want to understand yourself, I prefer the StrengthsFinder 2.0, which comes up with your top five personality strengths. For example, mine are: Strategic. Learner. Ideation (I have lots of ideas). Individualization (I'm good at seeing other people's strengths). Context (I keep the past with me a lot). Absent are all the strengths related to actually getting anything done..... so I would say that's accurate and told me a lot about myself that I honestly hadn't realized before I took it.

Mythopoet

Auror
INTJ here as well.

I remember once sci fi author Mike Flynn talked on his blog about how part of his inspiration for his book The Wreck of the River of Stars was having a cast of characters that were each one of the myers-briggs types. I've thought of doing something similar in one wip that conveniently has a cast of 16 characters.

qWirtzy

Dreamer
Borrowing from the "Do you think about symbolism when you write?" thread, this is the sort of thing that if I notice, I might dig into and enhance further, but that I don't plan from the start. I think it's a good idea to have a cursory knowledge (at least) of a wide spectrum of the way we categorize human thought and behavior, so that when writing one CAN notice that a type is emerging. Sometimes I feeling like it's trope-y, and will correct for it, others I like the idea and it can help inform my character's decisions.

I'm an INFJ, btw. Used to always get ENFJ about a decade ago, strongly in the Extrovert category. After a period of extended trauma, I swung hard to the Introvert spectrum. It was nice to know: Now instead of feeling like "I'm not myself (extroverted)" I've been able to embrace my type as valid--I'm a rare "Diplomat."

Haha, that post you were referring to was probably the one I made XD

Yeah, I do these a lot. Not for character development, just for fun. I just find it interesting to see what my characters will get and how accurate and can be to these personalities. Apparently, I have a lot of INTJ's in my stories. I, myself, am an INFP. I had once character who had that same personality type.

Nimue

Auror
I've also always gotten INTJ on these tests. It might be an uncommon type overall, but I think the Internet is full of 'em.

Edit: Took another one, same type--apparently I'm much more feelly than I used to be, though still in the Ts. One thing will never change, though. I'll always be a real judgy introvert.

Last edited:

Incanus

Auror
I always get INTJ too. I thought it was on the rare side, but there seem to be a lot of us around here. I'm not certain, but I think many creative people are INTJ.

Tom

Istar
Huh. I'm an ENTP. I've always thought of myself more of an introvert than an extrovert.

Creed

Sage
I'm an INTP, and I seem to be the only one here so far. "The Logician" or "The Architect." I was also surprised when I read the explanation, because it was fairly accurate.
It definitely explains my relationship with complex systems: "Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought." Ergo, my weakness (as I know) is world building and con-langing when I should be writing.

I don't think I would be able to do the test for characters, especially since the questions can be inapplicable. But I could definitely read through the descriptions for each and say, "Hey, Fevys is definitely an ESPF 'Entertainer'" and try to apply that. He's not though...

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I can see where it might be interesting and useful to apply to characters. Beyond that, I'm not sure it's worth a whole lot. Scientifically, there have been plenty of studies casting its validity in doubt. The fact that it is basically a binary test for each trait makes me less than inclined to buy into it. I don't think that's reflective of how most people really are.

Incanus

Auror
Your expectation of it may be a little too high then. It is general, and not very scientific. I don't think it is intended to reflect how most people really are. Certainly people come in more than sixteen flavors!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I agree that if you just look at INTJ and go "this is me!' there isn't that much value to it. Shoot, I've gotten the same value reading my horoscope. But I think it does have some value if you consider each of the traits on their own and consider how you tend to approach it.

I'm kind of thinking about high schoolers who struggle with parties taking the test and going, "Ohh, I'm an Introvert, and that's okay!" And others who constantly try to guess what other people thinking and need to hear, "Whoa! You're iNtuitive. That's great, but slow it down and learn to use it effectively or you'll constantly be guessing wrong."

Again, though, I prefer the Strengthsfinder 2.0. I found it much more detailed and enlightening in its approach and would recommend it to anybody. It might be a little much for character building, though.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
If memory serves, I believe I'm an INFP. With the F flip flopping between something else when I take the test.

Personally, I try to keep things simple. When I start sketching out a character the only thing I need are their needs/wants. So I keep Maslow's Hierarchy of needs in mind. Once I have the character's wants, I discover the character as I write them. For me, Myers Briggs is a unnecessary complication. I'm sure it can be a useful tool for some, but not me.

If memory serves, I believe I'm an INFP. With the F flip flopping between something else when I take the test.

Personally, I try to keep things simple. When I start sketching out a character the only thing I need are their needs/wants. So I keep Maslow's Hierarchy of needs in mind. Once I have the character's wants, I discover the character as I write them. For me, Myers Briggs is a unnecessary complication. I'm sure it can be a useful tool for some, but not me.

It's useful to keep from writing yourself when you see very little value in people besides yourself. xD Hell it's good for seeing more value in other people period. I was amazed to learn that all those annoying extraverts have personalities and all the non-analysts have brains. I started to see interesting new qualities in people and I give them way more credit now. Okay maybe not WAY more. Dx