• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

I always get INTJ too. I thought it was on the rare side, but there seem to be a lot of us around here. I'm not certain, but I think many creative people are INTJ.

I kinda had a feeling which members are INTJ.They're the ones I feel as if I "click with" the most (or at least I think, I'm not sure what it means to actually get along with people) yet also the ones I feel as if I have or will bump heads with the most. xD Not to diss on anyone else, but there's just something about....like minds, I guess. Speaking of, you other INTJs ever get a lot of shit for being evil, crazy, arrogant, rude, condescending, selfish, cruel, manipulative, etc? Or told you need to "just chill" a lot?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
It's useful to keep from writing yourself when you see very little value in people besides yourself. xD Hell it's good for seeing more value in other people period. I was amazed to learn that all those annoying extraverts have personalities and all the non-analysts have brains. I started to see interesting new qualities in people and I give them way more credit now. Okay maybe not WAY more. Dx

If I were to write me, it would be a very boring book. :p My characters are waaayyy more interesting and cool than I am, so it's a lot more fun being in their heads.

I kinda had a feeling which members are INTJ.They're the ones I feel as if I "click with" the most (or at least I think, I'm not sure what it means to actually get along with people) yet also the ones I feel as if I have or will bump heads with the most. xD Not to diss on anyone else, but there's just something about....like minds, I guess. Speaking of, you other INTJs ever get a lot of shit for being evil, crazy, arrogant, rude, condescending, selfish, cruel, manipulative, etc? Or told you need to "just chill" a lot?

The older I get the less I interact with people. Saves having to deal with insults like the ones you listed.

Nimue

Auror
Er...no. The worst I can remember being called in recent memory is standoffish. Though I have been told on a few occasions that it's very hard to argue with me. But you know what I do when I realize that I've unintentionally bullied someone in an argument (because that's what it is)? I go and apologize. Because when you're dealing with people, feelings are just as important as "right" and "wrong", particularly since in your everyday life (notwithstanding ethical issues) the line between "right" and "wrong" is really a lot weaker than we feel. Mostly though, I don't get into arguments with people I care about.

If all of those insults are coming from the same person or same few people, though, that sounds a little abusive...

It's useful to keep from writing yourself when you see very little value in people besides yourself. xD Hell it's good for seeing more value in other people period. I was amazed to learn that all those annoying extraverts have personalities and all the non-analysts have brains. I started to see interesting new qualities in people and I give them way more credit now. Okay maybe not WAY more. Dx

Just because I am inward-facing doesn't mean that other people don't have inner worlds as deep and complex as mine. They are different, and they express and share them differently, so a blindness to that is a failure to recognize on my part, not a failure of personality on theirs. I think this is something you learn the more you talk to people. I respect everyone if they're kind and courteous when it matters, and the qualities I expect from myself and value in myself are not ones that I demand from other people. It simply doesn't make sense to do so.

It goes to show that even if you deeply believe in inherent personality traits like this, there is a great deal of variation in values and lived experience. Definitely more than sixteen flavors. :p

Mythopoet

Auror

Hmm... that's quite a list. I think basic tact usually helps with those kinds of impressions, which I managed to learn fairly early. When I was much younger I used to get told I was a " bossy know it all" a lot. So I altered my approach a bit to seem less like I was talking down to people. To a certain extent, you are responsible for the impression you make on other people. Only to a certain extent. I've also butted some heads with a few people for being "bossy" when I was actually in a leadership position over them. Sometimes there are just people who can't handle a woman with confidence leading them and those people you just say "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

Philster401

Maester
I'm an ENFP-T but with in 10% of the middle for most of the indicators besides Prospective and turbulent which are near their extreme.

Nimue

Auror
Ah, yeah, I've been there with the "know-it-all", heh. I've made an often-conscious effort to downplay the "Let me tell you how to do this" and the "This is what you should do" when explaining or figuring something out. You suggest, give equal weight to their suggestion, & appreciate that it was solved, not that you were right. I mean, you want your coworkers (and friends) to feel like they can ask you questions without being made to feel stupid. Nobody likes that.

Maybe when I'm older I'll have the experience to own the bossy part, but for now I just want to get along with people ^^

(....prospective and turbulent? I don't know what test you took, dude, but it sounds like you're a weather front.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Do rude, condescending, selfish, cruel, manipulative, etc really match up to an MBTI? Seems doubtful.

Tom

Istar
I think I broke the test. It gave me like six results, and of those six, I felt like only two reflected me at all. I guess I'm just hard to pin down...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Speaking of, you other INTJs ever get a lot of shit for being evil, crazy, arrogant, rude, condescending, selfish, cruel, manipulative, etc? Or told you need to "just chill" a lot?

Evil? Crazy? Selfish? Cruel? Those don't seem like a "type" thing.

Arrogant, condescending, and manipulative? Maybe. It does sound like the "mastermind" gone wrong. And I used to get those a lot when I was younger.

Brithel

Dreamer
Speaking of, you other INTJs ever get a lot of shit for being evil, crazy, arrogant, rude, condescending, selfish, cruel, manipulative, etc? Or told you need to "just chill" a lot?

I'm an INTJ most of the time I do these tests (a few times it was an INTP). I don't get much shit for being like that; I'm the kind of person who enjoys mocking and teasing others, but only my friends who understand that I do not mean it seriously and who like to return in kind with insults of their own. Most of the time we get on well.
I do admit to being condescending and selfish, though I try to hide and overcome those feelings as I find them most unpleasant and a source of much grievance to myself.

Incanus

Auror

I haven't had these things said about me (at least to my face). For some strange reason, I seem to be an uncharacteristically diplomatic INTJ, though I'm not a people person at all. I suspect I started off as an F but trained myself to become a T. Seems like my feelings got me in trouble, so I turned to my rational side. I like conflict much better in stories than in real life.

Tom

Istar
On one hand, I'm a very emotional person. Some people have called me a human golden retriever--always experiencing extreme emotion, always bouncing around unpredictably. That seems to be the default personality for people with ADD.

On the other, I also tend to think rationally. When trying to solve a problem, I tend to think very logically, completely omitting emotions. This tends to make me come off as cold or unfeeling when I'm in a problem-solving mood.

Sometimes when I come up with a solution to a situation, such as a misunderstanding that led to a fight, someone will be like, "No, we can't do that! It could hurt X person's feelings!"

And I'll think, Yes, but it's the fastest and most efficient way to solve this problem.

So, I don't really know. Sometimes I'm basically emotion personified. Other times I'm Spock.

Er...no. The worst I can remember being called in recent memory is standoffish. Though I have been told on a few occasions that it's very hard to argue with me. But you know what I do when I realize that I've unintentionally bullied someone in an argument (because that's what it is)? I go and apologize. Because when you're dealing with people, feelings are just as important as "right" and "wrong", particularly since in your everyday life (notwithstanding ethical issues) the line between "right" and "wrong" is really a lot weaker than we feel. Mostly though, I don't get into arguments with people I care about.

Oh those insults come from almost everyone I've ever met. Never had any friends growing up, everyone thought I was a terrorist or devil worshipper since I was at least 11. The few friends I did think I had were indeed abusive. I'm at least working on understanding other people, but they'll probably never understand me and I accept that.

Mythopoet

Auror
Oh those insults come from almost everyone I've ever met. Never had any friends growing up, everyone thought I was a terrorist or devil worshipper since I was at least 11. The few friends I did think I had were indeed abusive. I'm at least working on understanding other people, but they'll probably never understand me and I accept that.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've struggled throughout my life to make and keep friends as well. But I wouldn't put too much faith in this type labeling business. I don't think it actually helps us to understand real people. Humans are just too individually unique.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm sorry to hear that. I've struggled throughout my life to make and keep friends as well. But I wouldn't put too much faith in this type labeling business. I don't think it actually helps us to understand real people. Humans are just too individually unique.

It's reductive. Which isn't necessarily a terrible thing so long as people understand that it is reductive and that there are significant limitations.