1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What type of Writer are You?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by yoffi, Oct 26, 2019.

1. yoffi

yoffi Dreamer

Can you summarize your style? :)

2. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

non-existant

3. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Riceonian.

4. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

Obsessive

5. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Visual. That is, I envision each scene as being part of a 'movie clip,' and try to write what the camera sees.

buster13h, Yora and A. E. Lowan like this.
  6. WooHooMan

WooHooMan Auror

Lazy.
    And that's not a joke. I take my time and tend to write in a very casual, meandering-type style. It's lazy in a "lazy afternoon" kind of way. The fun kind of lazy.

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  7. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I'm not sure a writer can recognize their own style. I can say what others say, but I don't see what they see.

Question to the OP: do you distinguish between style and voice?

8. yoffi

yoffi Dreamer

Oh great question skip.knoxskip.knox re: style & voice.

Yes style, to me, is sentence structure, rhyme, how words sing off a page, breadth of vocabulary, comedy, rhythm.
    Voice is who the person is talking that day (I guess this is important to my own style). Is it the well-rested voice who's passionate about smoothies and yoga. Or the just had to leave a meeting because I'm ill and have 2 deadlines this week style voice. Oh and then there's tone - I'm still trying to figure that one out.

WooHooManWooHooMan Lazy writing. The fun kind of lazy - thinking of hippies in San Fransisco burning incense and laying around with paper-backs.

DemesnedenoirDemesnedenoir Riceonian - long and granular? 5 minutes to prepare?

@lowan Obsessive in the sense that you can't stop writing? Or you're constantly thinking about the next story? Or going back and re-writing?

ThinkerXThinkerX Visual - do you see the words in your minds-eye too? Watching movies with the subtitles on could be awesome to develop that even further - do you try that?

HeliotropeHeliotrope Non-existant - that there is not style or it varies? Or you don't write much?

9. A. E. Lowan

All of the above. Much like Hamilton, I tend to write like I'm running out of time. My team is writing a long-running urban fantasy series and we're set to publish Book 3 of a projected 23 this February. I feel a bit of pressure. :D

10. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

My last name is Rice... although technically I could say Royceonian, seeing as my last name should be Royce if it didn’t somehow change somewhere along the historical line, heh heh. So, whatever style I might have is mine, I don’t know what else to call it.

11. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

The bulk of my writing is from that of a given POV - third person limited. I put myself in their shoes and head and visualize what they'd see or think or say in a given situation. What they'd hear, and how they'd interpret that. Subtitles, not so much. An example (set in A E Lowans world) - starts at post 8:

https://mythicscribes.com/community/threads/faerie-rising-by-a-e-lowan.19719/

12. Prince of Spires

Prince of Spires Minstrel

Put ass in chair and write.

Planning happens in my head. An idea sticks around and slowly a feeling for a story forms around it. From there it's mainly a matter of sitting down and simply start writing.

13. A. E. Lowan

Still absolutely LOVE this piece!

14. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

I'm still waiting for Winters reaction upon viewing the Poker Groups collection...and her reaction upon learning of Wood Light.

15. psychotick

psychotick Auror

Hi,

I'm not really a writer at all. I'm a story teller. Except that I don't really tell the story. I just write it down. It comes from somewhere else.

Cheers, Greg.

Adela likes this.
  16. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Procrastinating.

Firefly likes this.
  17. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Type writer.

18. Pemry Janes

Pemry Janes Sage

Bouncy, I keep going from one story to the other.

19. Miles Lacey

Miles Lacey Sage

Indecisive. I can never decide what I want to do.

20. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Sporadic and easily distracted.