• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What type of Writer are You?

WooHooMan

Auror
Lazy.
And that's not a joke. I take my time and tend to write in a very casual, meandering-type style. It's lazy in a "lazy afternoon" kind of way. The fun kind of lazy.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm not sure a writer can recognize their own style. I can say what others say, but I don't see what they see.

Question to the OP: do you distinguish between style and voice?

yoffi

Scribe
Oh great question skip.knox re: style & voice.

Yes style, to me, is sentence structure, rhyme, how words sing off a page, breadth of vocabulary, comedy, rhythm.
Voice is who the person is talking that day (I guess this is important to my own style). Is it the well-rested voice who's passionate about smoothies and yoga. Or the just had to leave a meeting because I'm ill and have 2 deadlines this week style voice. Oh and then there's tone - I'm still trying to figure that one out.

WooHooMan Lazy writing. The fun kind of lazy - thinking of hippies in San Fransisco burning incense and laying around with paper-backs.

Demesnedenoir Riceonian - long and granular? 5 minutes to prepare?

@lowan Obsessive in the sense that you can't stop writing? Or you're constantly thinking about the next story? Or going back and re-writing?

ThinkerX Visual - do you see the words in your minds-eye too? Watching movies with the subtitles on could be awesome to develop that even further - do you try that?

Heliotrope Non-existant - that there is not style or it varies? Or you don't write much?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
@lowan Obsessive in the sense that you can't stop writing? Or you're constantly thinking about the next story? Or going back and re-writing?
All of the above. Much like Hamilton, I tend to write like I'm running out of time. My team is writing a long-running urban fantasy series and we're set to publish Book 3 of a projected 23 this February. I feel a bit of pressure. :D

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
My last name is Rice... although technically I could say Royceonian, seeing as my last name should be Royce if it didn’t somehow change somewhere along the historical line, heh heh. So, whatever style I might have is mine, I don’t know what else to call it.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
@ThinkerX Visual - do you see the words in your minds-eye too? Watching movies with the subtitles on could be awesome to develop that even further - do you try that?

The bulk of my writing is from that of a given POV - third person limited. I put myself in their shoes and head and visualize what they'd see or think or say in a given situation. What they'd hear, and how they'd interpret that. Subtitles, not so much. An example (set in A E Lowans world) - starts at post 8:

https://mythicscribes.com/community/threads/faerie-rising-by-a-e-lowan.19719/

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Hi,

I'm not really a writer at all. I'm a story teller. Except that I don't really tell the story. I just write it down. It comes from somewhere else.

Cheers, Greg.