• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Will You Stand For?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Interestingly enough, I am reviewing an agreement between a writer and a company right now, and the contract includes the following language:

Writer shall incorporate into all written material hereunder such changes, revisions, deletions and/or additions as my be required by Company or any representative designated by Company.

So, as I noted above, if you get a publishing contract, READ IT :)

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Interestingly enough, I am reviewing an agreement between a writer and a company right now, and the contract includes the following language:

I hate lawyer talk. After the second sentence I can only read blah blah blah blah Company blah blah blah Your Soul.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I hate lawyer talk. After the second sentence I can only read blah blah blah blah Company blah blah blah Your Soul.

The gist of the segment is: "You change your stuff how we want it changed if we see fit, and boohoo if you don't like it."

Mindfire

Istar

That seems terribly vague. Could you ask for something to be included allowing you to object to such changes for reasons of conscience, such as whitewashing, violating your religious beliefs, etc.?

Steerpike

Felis amatus

That's why if you're going to enter into a major deal with a publisher, you have an agent. They can be the ones that want to slit their wrists reading contract language, and you can go have a beer.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
That seems terribly vague. Could you ask for something to be included allowing you to object to such changes for reasons of conscience, such as whitewashing, violating your religious beliefs, etc.?

You can ask for whatever you want. It all comes down to what you and the Company both agree to. I'm not saying the paragraph I cited is the standard, I just happened to come across it in this particular agreement and wanted to post it as an example of why you read every word of the document (or your agent does).

Ankari

Hero Breaker
That's why if you're going to enter into a major deal with a publisher, you have an agent. They can be the ones that want to slit their wrists reading contract language, and you can go have a beer.

Or hire people like Steerpike

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm not a literary agent. I do review these kinds of agreements from time to time, usually with respect to the intellectual property terms. I've seen enough to know that 9 times out of 10 a good, experienced literary agent is going to pay for their own commission in terms of working the deal for you. That's the route I'd go. If you ever find yourself with a company interested enough to start talking contracts and you don't already have an agent, go find one. They're not too hard to get if you actually have a deal in the works.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
No, no. Only people like him. Steerpike is a legend around these parts. Nations need to take loans from the World Bank to cover a day's worth of fees. He is the most lawyery lawyer in the world.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
No, no. Only people like him. Steerpike is a legend around these parts. Nations need to take loans from the World Bank to cover a day's worth of fees. He is the most lawyery lawyer in the world.

Hey, it would be nice if I could charge those kinds of rates. I'd retire pretty soon and just write :D

It helps to be flexible. If Jane Austen had not consented to adding Zombies for commercial appeal, then Pride and Prejudice would have never made it to publication.

The system works, because most books that are published are really good.

Mindfire

Istar
It helps to be flexible. If Jane Austen had not consented to adding Zombies for commercial appeal, then Pride and Prejudice would have never made it to publication.

The system works, because most books that are published are really good.

What is this I don't even