• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's your favorite example (Modern or otherwise) of the 'cartoon' villain.

And why do you like them?

I mean from literally any media, and no, I don't mean explicitly from cartoons. (Though most of mine are from cartoons so.... ? )
To be clear, I mean the writing device, not the fact that they're from a cartoon/animation.

Some of my personal Favorites.

King Ooze from the MM P R movie.

Shredder (Just about every depiction of him is comedy gold)

Skeletor (Of Course)

Megatron

Doctor Claw (Particularly the original cartoon one but that's beside the point.
 
I don't know, I tend not to like villains that are just cartoonishly evil.
But your list does include some very good ones.
That's the thing? The ones that I like (That are cartoonishly evil) tend to actually be [gasp] well written as well. Though some like Dr Claw and Skeletor are absolutely a product of their time and lean a bit more in the 'moustache twirler' direction.

It's one thing to be cartoonish and evil. but if you can accomplish that AND still be a fun bad guy? I consider that a win. Especially if said bad guy makes me want to punch them. (for various reasons)
 

casval

Minstrel
I love a horror movie slasher who is always ready with a quip. I grew up with Nightmare on Elm Street, Freddy Krueger got sillier with every film and I loved them all as a kid. Nowadays, I am charmed by Brad Dourif (and his daughter, Fiona Dourif) playing Chucky, the killer doll in Child's Play. There's a 3-season TV show for that series that came out a few years ago, and Chucky has a great one-liner in just about every episode.
 
Chucky is another good one yeah, and although he's a pale imitation meant for kids, the doll from Goosebumps too. Same idea just, toned down a little for kids to watch. He's one of the few recurring villains too.

The Villain from Saw is pretty good (Though I've only seen the few Games that movie has) too, his logic makes ZERO sense when you think about it. But I feel like that's half of the point with cartoon villains.

Does the Joker from Batman count as cartoonish? I'd argue that would depend on the depiction in question.
 
Top