• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why Don't You Showcase?

Justme

Banned
I find that it's best to begin with what you dislike about a post and end with what you like about it. That way the person being critiqued is left with a positive felling.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
:zombie:

Personally, I dont think MS has the tools to be a good Peer Review type of site. And having been on a number of those in the past, if it was, I am not sure I would linger. Reviewing is a lot of work, and when that is the focus, there is a lot of pressure for it, which I now avoid (I feel I already put in the miles both on Scribophile, and Fantasy-writers.org, and some others). What I enjoy most is just the puzzle and problem solving of the stuff that pops up everyday, and staying engaged with a writing community, and being near other writers.

I am unlikely to post something in the showcase. I write novels, and its near impossible to find good crit partners to read them all the way through. It would not be helpful just to post up small portions, and to crit the second book, you kind of need to read the first. I dont think any here will give that kind of commitment. And, I am not sure what would help if they did... it takes a while to really develop into a good crit partner. I would be open to finding good partners and trading works to help each other, but right now, I am in writing mode. So, I am personally putting off editing for a while. (though Avery has been helping me, and in the thing I need most...thanks Avery :))

Critting here is a different story. I like to look at what people post and offer comments. I dont really do the line by line stuff because its a lot of effort, and I am not sure of the commitment of those receiving. I am more likely to put in effort for a regular, than someone who may be here for a day and then gone. And for those who I have come to know, I mean....some of you dont need line by line from me, just the same types of stuff I look for. Is it worthy? is it engaging? Does it work? Can I really point you towards what is next to help you grow? I am however likely to if its not a novel, and the cost of energy is not too high (sometimes I have nothing better to do at work....). I'm not gonna judge, but I think people should listen more when I say dont seek feedback till its finished. (And if I can give away a secret, I actually dont enjoy reading. Never did).

I think there must also come a time when we must recognize that the 80% we learned when we started, is becoming the 20% that remains and takes way more energy. And for a good portion of us, that is becoming the last 10%, which is even fewer and further between. When the writing is good our questions change. And what it changes to is stuff that showcase is not for.

So, I am willing to look at showcase stuff, if it is needed, but better would be to get involved in the community, find people you like, and gain a set of beta readers who read you cause you read them. Showcase is not the best use of the site, IMO. Scribophile would be a better place to get quick first effort feedback. I am not on scribophile...I am on MS. I like it here. We have a good set of veterans and professionals...and for me, it is a good place to hang.

Sorry for kicking the dust off another one.

Last edited: