• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why vampires AND werewolves?

2WayParadox -Folklore, not literature has Werewolves as predators who crave human flesh, and strangely enough turn into vampires after death.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I was once part of an RPG that involved vampires and werewolves, as well as mages, other types of shapeshifters and normal humans. For the most part the vamps and wolves got along very well. There was one major conflict between members of their kinds, but that was only because the vampire in question was a primary antagonist who targeted a number of people including other vampires, and in the final confrontation he made the mistake of trying to kill a young human woman in front of her dad AND the dad's werewolf girlfriend. The results were not pretty.

X Equestris

Maester
There was a relationship between the two in the Middle Ages. If I'm remembering correctly, a werewolf that wasn't killed properly could turn into a vampire.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I only have werewolves in my novels. I never considered writing vampires into my world at all, though I guess I would write one as a short story. For me, it's about relatability. I think vampires are trickier to me because I identify more with werewolves. But for me, they're just shapeshifters. Some are bad and monstrous as the disease eats them away and their humanity fades out. For my character werewolves, they're just people who can shift forms and they hide for their own safety.

You all say that there were no stories that started this, but i have a theory. On Wikipedia, it says that before the Brothers Grimm write their version of Little red riding hood, the wolf could be a werewolf, a vampire or even an ogre. Maybe the conflict arise from little kids disagreeing on which version was the correct one. Also, some people say that if a werewolf is not buried it becomes a vampire.

Both wolf (or werewolf) and vampire are supernaturalized versions of the sexual predator. Little Red Ridinghood's wolf was never canis lupus. Her mother warning her not to get off the path and not to talk to strangers is out of fear of the very same kind of predator parents would be worried about today.

In the same eras when women got burned as witches, some men were burned as werewolves. Charges of being a werewolf were essentially the male version of witchcraft charges. But they weren't always as supernatural as you might think. At least a couple of werewolf cases were identical in every way, except the official explanation, to modern serial killer cases. These were serial killings with a sexual element, too. The werewolf/serial killer raped and murdered multiple victims. His explanation, which held up in court, was that he'd been possessed by the spirit of a wolf.

As for vampires, there's no vampire story anywhere, ever, that doesn't highly sexualize them. Whether they have a mesmerizing gaze, or sparkle in the sun, or what have you, they are extremely sexual in a dark way, and their attacks are always sexualized.

Almyrigan Hero

Minstrel
I see it as almost a class rivalry of sorts.

The classic Dracula-esque vampire is, if not hygienic by human standards, usually portrayed as affluent and sophisticated. They're essentially the elites of the dark world, not merely cursed but also proficient in using magic themselves. Meanwhile, werewolves are generally wild, brutish, a bit unhinged even as humans, and completely berserk killing machines when transformed. Vampires would probably just sort of look down on them, and also wouldn't be above hunting, enslaving, or abusing them for their own amusement... you know, what with the whole 'evil' thing.

The real question is, could werewolves actually win? A vampire probably wouldn't find using a gun very difficult, even if we do go with the notion that touching the silver bullet directly would hurt them and necessitate more convoluted work-arounds for loading, but would a werewolf actually have the presence of mind to consider the importance of garlic and wooden stakes?