• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

World Building: How do you start?

Mindfire

Istar
Anyway, to the original point of the thread:

For me, worldbuilding is an iterative process. I start with a story or concept in mind, and then sketch out the world needed for the story to take place. After the world is sketched out, some new details about it will come to my attention- details not fully fleshed out or new ideas that come from a burst of inspiration. These new world details will then affect the storyline. The revised story will require changes to the world, the revised world affects the story, and so on and so on through as many cycles as necessary until eventually the two converge, to put it in mathematical terms.

Story influences worldbuilding, worldbuilding influences story. They're like yin and yang, two haves of one whole. Whether you start off with worldbuilding first or plot/characters first is a matter of personal preference.

A

Astner

Fluctuating from writing the story and the setting is usually what most people do when they "just write". It's not something I'd recommend though, especially if you plan or writing longer series, because it's easy to get off track.

I design the world before I write the story, — and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who've noticed this but — if you know your world, then writing the story will come so much more naturally, and it looks so much better when you reread it later on.

Mindfire

Istar
Fluctuating from writing the story and the setting is usually what most people do when they "just write". It's not something I'd recommend though, especially if you plan or writing longer series, because it's easy to get off track.

I design the world before I write the story, — and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who've noticed this but — if you know your world, then writing the story will come so much more naturally, and it looks so much better when you reread it later on.

I don't think the method I described necessitates lack of planning. I plan meticulously. But I should have mentioned that the process I described was more characteristic of my early days as a writer- late middle school and high school. Now, worldbuilding and story have pretty much reached their "convergence point." Any changes I make now are generally small details.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
If you want to use the rule of cool, then I suggest you to start by the magic system or a very original race or technology, from there start building the cultures, religions and alike until you are satisfied with your world.

I personally don't like to start with the characters since it makes the worldbuilding much less free. I like to build a world and create characters that fit the world.

Jabrosky

Banned
Most recently I've picked a theme for my world, or rather part of it, and built my main civilization around that theme. I'm talking about my Sun Kingdom, which I designed after asking the question "what would a civilization that worshiped a Sun Goddess look like?"

MystiqueRain

Troubadour
I personally don't like to start with the characters since it makes the worldbuilding much less free. I like to build a world and create characters that fit the world.

But in contrast, then you have characters limited by the limitations of the world. I guess either way you do it, something has to conform to something, whether its the characters to the world or the world to the characters. I think it depends on how in depth you want a world to be as well--if you have a lot of ideas, why not make the world first in case you forget? On the other side of the matter, if you're not sure at all where to start, place down the characters as a root from which you can build from.

FatCat

Maester
After taking a bit of a break from writing, I think I'm gonna have to go the route of building characters first. Let the world come second, because in my mind the world supports the character. Now I just have to think of good characters, which may be harder than building religions and cultures! How about a legless beggar with two greatswords surgically attached at the hip....have him save the world or something.....nope. :)

It depends on the world.

On my main, I started with the questions, "How can dragons exist?" and "How can magick exist?" and followed the lines of logic that proceeded out from there. It very quickly had me going back to before the "big bang" and I reworked the entire multiverse.

For other worlds, I don't worry as much about physics so long as I have a world that can encompass the story I want to tell in it. For instance, I have a Highlander-esque world that is kind of a medieval Japan. In it, people that enter into an honorable challenge (fight) and win, absorb the life-force of their slain foe. Other than having this "magick", I don't worry about too much in the world.

For another epic story I've worked on besides my main, I had a magick-comes-late-to-the-scene thing going on and the main channel this happened through was a series of meteor strikes that altered the composition of the planet and empowered the creatures.

I have a fantasy western/steampunk where the magick is more philosophical/religious/shamanistic than anything. I developed this just because I wanted to do a western, but I didn't want to be constrained by history. It's just some nameless arid region in a nameless country.

I have another fantasy "world" that takes place in the current world, the only difference is that angels, demons, etc exist. The only world building I do with this are the realms of Heaven and Hell and the differences in the creatures that appear. It's mostly mundane though with the exception of the main character.

Anyway, the main thing is just to go off what your story needs. Once you have the idea for the story, the world will develop naturally and will in turn feed your story. It's a mutualistic relationship.

Hmm...I've kind of rambled on here. Apologies.

Varamyrr

Minstrel
I'm sure that there's some starving art student on a forum somewhere that would do it for you.
If you want to, I can provide you with some pdf guides from the cartographers guild which provide you a very good looking result in a relative short time.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
The starting point for the world I'm building was a question of "what if...?" and then it just went on from there - sort of.

Once I had a general idea of what the answer for the first what-if question would be I also had a couple of new questions about how that answer affected other aspects of the world. I tried answering those and new questions popped up and that's the way it's going now.
I should point out that the main assumption from the start was that everything is like in the real world and that I then changed some aspect of it (added fantasy elements) to see how that might affect things.

Do Not Start World Building.

I suffer from world builder's disease. I have learned through many failed projects that world building is not the same as short stories or novels.

Start with a story seed. Work out all of your goals you want to accomplish with the story seed. (ex. themes, motifs, odd character quirks, etc.) And then set the story in a place that highlights those things present in the story seed.

Mindfire

Istar
Do Not Start World Building.

I suffer from world builder's disease. I have learned through many failed projects that world building is not the same as short stories or novels.

Start with a story seed. Work out all of your goals you want to accomplish with the story seed. (ex. themes, motifs, odd character quirks, etc.) And then set the story in a place that highlights those things present in the story seed.

That's certainly one possible method. What's world builder's disease?

FatCat

Maester
The problem I've found is I just can't seem to stay interested. I tried starting a bullet-point system with three main objectives, setting, characters, and plot. I maybe got half a page done, I just have no fun while doing this kinda thing. Just writing now, see where it goes from there.

A

Astner

The problem I've found is I just can't seem to stay interested. I tried starting a bullet-point system with three main objectives, setting, characters, and plot. I maybe got half a page done, I just have no fun while doing this kinda thing. Just writing now, see where it goes from there.
Take a certain bullet-point, like say religion.

Then boil yourself a cup of tea and start thinking about questions such as: Are there any deities, if so how many? · If so, what are the deities roles in the creation of the universe? · What's the purpose of life? · What's after death? · How widespread is the religion? · etc.

Start off by creating a religion you find interesting. The next religion you create will be a lot simpler. But don't sit there and force yourself to write a thousand words in twenty minutes.