• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writer Readers vs. Reader Readers

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I find myself second-guessing just about everything I read now, which is kind of annoying. It's become harder for me to just read something and enjoy it without analyzing how it could have been phrased better. So far that's the only thing I really don't like about being a writer. :)

The writers on Writing Excuses said they eventually grew out of it.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Sometimes I have a hard time forming off that internal writer. That doesn't really bother me though.
Now, when a story can suck me in to the point that I don't naturally think critically...well than that's a good story in my opinion.

Mindfire

Istar
I periodically have this problem. I'll be cruising through my chosen reading when I'll notice something the author did that I don't particularly care for. I'll them smile to myself and read on. I don't think of it so much as a "problem", but rather I think of it as a sign that I'm growing as a writer. Not so long ago, I'd never have noticed these subtle nuances at all. Being able to spot them now makes me feel good about myself. Also makes me think my writing might not be as bad as I often think. :)

I find myself second-guessing just about everything I read now, which is kind of annoying. It's become harder for me to just read something and enjoy it without analyzing how it could have been phrased better. So far that's the only thing I really don't like about being a writer. :)

I find it very frustrating, but I am usually able to ignore it. Since I became a writer, I don't know that there has been a single novel I've read where I went, "They did that the best way they could have done that."

And it's not just books, but movies, video games, anything with a story.