• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing a synopsis for proposal to publisher

Storm Wolf

Acolyte
Hi all,

I'm writing a theoretical book proposal for a university project, and using my fantasy novel (which is not finished). This is to help me to learn more about the publication process and to get feedback. I'm looking at TOR Books, and their guidelines are as follows:

" 2. A synopsis of the entire book. The synopsis should include all important plot elements, especially the end of the story, as well as character development for your main characters. The synopsis should run between three and ten pages in standard manuscript format. The first page of the synopsis and the first page of the text should also include your name and contact information and the title of the manuscript." FAQ - Tor Forge writing​

What's great is they've even given a length, and what should be in it. It seems rather straight forward. But, I've never written anything like this before. I want my synopsis to stand out and show I can plot - and create interest.

Does anyone have any tips for this? How to structure it, for instance, and what NOT to do? Can anyone share their experiences with me?

I've found some great resources on this website, but couldn't find anything on writing a synopsis that will stand out - if I am simply missing it, feel free to link me to the appropriate forum.

Thank you for your help!

Storm Wolf

Acolyte
Hi guys,

Thank you - I didn't come across these on my searches. I've written the synopsis but it lacks ... structure and depth at the moment. Nonetheless, it's a start, and these additional articles will help me refine it.

Does anyone here have any personal experience / struggles / triumphs writing a synopsis for their submissions?

Thanks again,
Regards,
SW