• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing someone on a "sugar high"/infatuated?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Phrase is in quotation marks because the character in question is not literally on a sugar high; that's just the effect I'm trying to achieve.

The character, Lenore, is a Leannan Sidhe (a type of Fae) who has just fed on the creative energy of a human, Vincent, as part of a bargain with him. I wanted her to have a kind of "drunk" reaction at first, but I figured since she's feeding on energy a pseudo-sugar high would make more sense. Another side effect of the feeding is that Lenore becomes temporarily infatuated with Vincent's creative talent (specifically, singing), and I want both those things to color her interaction with him for the remainder of the scene.

I mostly need advice on what sort of physical responses she might have -- tone of voice, movement, that kind of thing. Lenore is not the POV character, so her reactions will only be noticed from the outside. The infatuation will last maybe half an hour, tops, while the energy high will last somewhat longer.

As for their specific interactions, if it's relevant, Vincent will be asking Lenore a series of questions related to his story goal (i.e. finding his daughter's kidnapper), which Lenore must answer truthfully. Lenore knows nothing of the kidnapping itself, though she does know who the kidnapper is, where he lives, and how to get there. (She knows him as the prince of the Winter Court, which is common knowledge among Fae but not humans.)

Thoughts/comments much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Drakevarg

Troubadour
Well, thinking from my own experience with infatuation, it's kind of like mild obsession/addiction. Not wanting to look away, being happy just the object of your infatuation is nearby, finding every aspect of it fascinating. Warm, mild-to-moderately dopey smiles all around. Coupled, perhaps, with periodic feelings of withdrawl or unworthiness when separated from the object of infatuation. Also, the tendency to have thoughts of adoration towards said object spring up out of nowhere while doing something entirely unrelated, derailing your train of thought.

Difficult to express for a symptom lasting only a few minutes, though. But it's what comes to mind.

KC Trae Becker

Troubadour
Kids on a sugar high bounce when they walk, laugh more readily, talk louder, and play rougher; not unlike mildly drunk adults. Also they crave more, especially as the effects begin to wan. Part of the effect is self induced from the joy of indulging in something usually limited and the self granted permission to act a little crazy. Quite literally they bounce off the walls even when very young.

A sugar high is usually followed by a sugar low, sort of like a hang over. Some kids get belligerent and violent even when very young. Often they are more prone to yelling and defiant, hitting their care giver, and crying very easily. They are usually deeply remorseful for misbehaving once the sugar has cleared their brain.

As someone who is hypoglycemic and self reflective about the early signs of low blood sugar that often follows a sugar high, I know paranoia, crankiness and physical shaking as well as head aches, stomach aches and general spaciness are common. I pay less attention to the sugar highs since they are less of an issue, but I suppose there is a general sense of invulnerability and full-of-myself-ness. I feel really good and want the world to know how clever I am. (Embarrassing but true.)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks, KC. The character in question is an adult, so I won't have her doing anything extreme like bouncing off the walls (or trees, since they're in a forest). The hyperness in general is going to be challenging to write. :)

Can't say for sure on the infatuation, but for me such feelings were always flavored heavily with nervousness, which would have similar effects to a "sugar high". In quotes because I find the term "high" in the sense it's being used very misleading when referring to the effects of simple carbohydrates as compared to psychoactive stimulant plants as tame as coffee. Hypergylcemia does have effects very similar, though on a much milder level from my experience. Shakiness, shifting eyes, involuntary movements like finger-tapping, fast incessant talking either too soft or too loud, difficulty staying still, overall enthusiasm, but a quick temper and underlying feeling of nervousness. Much of which, as previously stated, applies to infatuation as well. Caffeine crash and hypoglycemia also both retain the shakiness, amp up the temper and nervousness, and replace the enthusiasm and energy with apathetic lethargy.

Last edited:
As for their specific interactions, if it's relevant, Vincent will be asking Lenore a series of questions related to his story goal (i.e. finding his daughter's kidnapper), which Lenore must answer truthfully. Lenore knows nothing of the kidnapping itself, though she does know who the kidnapper is, where he lives, and how to get there. (She knows him as the prince of the Winter Court, which is common knowledge among Fae but not humans.)

Generally people become more honest when there are drunk.
I think different people show their love in different ways, maybe lenore is the kind of person who became more honest with people when she is infatuated .

Velka

Sage
I pulled out the Emotions Thesaurus for this one. Since she is not POV and her state will be observed, here's some ideas that might apply (edited out ones that probably wouldn't work for this scenario):

LOVE (Physical Signals):
Moving to get closer or touch
Smiling at nothing
A beaming expression, glowing cheeks
Strong eye contact, very little blinking
Focusing on the other’s best attributes
Taking large, deep, savoring breaths
A yearning look
Licking one’s lips
Unconsciously parting the lips
A light, bouncing step
Throat clearing, swallowing
A silly grin, laughing
Leaning against one another
Nervous behaviors (fiddling with the hands, moistening one’s lips)
Flirtatious talk or nonstop talking
Torso and feet pointing toward the loved one
Affectionate touches (arm stroking, holding hands, kissing, hugging)
Sitting together so the legs touch
Putting an arm around someone’s shoulders

ELATION (Physical Signals)
High color, a flushed appearance
A smile or grin that cannot be contained
Laughing
Squealing, screaming, shouting, whooping, hollering
Jumping up and down
Talking over one another, babbling
Head tipping back, turning one’s face to the sky
Running a victory lap
A beaming face, strong color and sheen
Embracing others
Dancing in place
Whooping loudly

ADORATION (Physical Signals)
Lips parting
A slack or soft expression
Walking quickly to erase the distance
Mimicking body language (of the subject)
Touching one’s mouth or face
Reaching out to brush, touch or grasp
Steady eye contact, large pupils
Leaning forward
Stroking one’s own neck or arm as a surrogate
Pointing one’s torso and feet toward the subject
A flushed appearance
Nodding while the subject speaks
Smiling
Open body posture

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks, Velka. This is a tricky thing to handle, given that Lenore isn't infatuated with Vincent as a person, she's infatuated with his creative talent, and Vincent is only the vessel. I'll keep tinkering with this and see what fits. ^^

Drakevarg

Troubadour
Infatuation is wearing beer goggles, Ireth. :p It's not a very "precise" emotion. There are plenty who are head over heels for people they don't necessarily have much chemistry with because of one or two things, like say going weak at the knees when they play the piano.