• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Style

For years I've been told that my way of writing is rather odd and I wanted to offer it up to multiple other authors and get your opinion, learn how you all do so.
When I get characters or even just an idea, it's often because I'm asleep and a few of the characters just decide to have a full on conversation for me to hear. When this happens I get absolutely no peace until I've gotten down on paper. And from then on they take complete control. I have very little say in what actually happens in the story or whether or not they will let me write for them at any given time. I can add stuff in, but if they don't agree... well forget it, they won't let me continue writing until I change it back.
I suppose the best was to describe it would be to say that the characters are often completely their own person and they are telling me their story so that I can write it down for them. I mean, I very obviously have influence on the style of the writing, but not everything else.
I know I'm not completely crazy as one of my close friends also writes this way, but I don't actually know anyone else that does.
You all?

Rullenzar

Troubadour
This sounds like something for the thread I just created about Your characters calling the shots.

It's funny you mentioned that. I too had a dream of events and my characters and immediately jotted down the notes until it became a full on ready to write story. Although one thing we differ in is that I only had the dream once.
I've had other dreams but I'd either forget or they wouldn't morph into anything good. Plus I'm really focusing on the one I have now.

Your problem with your main character sounds like the problem I had with mine. I think you just have to get on the same page with him/her and your good to go. I think this is completely normal and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the majority of authors fall into this category.
But, I don't think I'd classify that as a writing style though.

Last edited:
Actors *shakes head*

Remember, they might be acting the part and they have a say in what their emotional reactions can be, but they aren't the ones in charge. You are. If you change something and they hate it, ignore them and work on another project, walk away from it for a few days, or yell at the top of your lungs "SHUT UP MIND!"

Trust me, the silence will do wonders, they will get the hint, and then you can hone your skills by directing instead of being a therapist.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
It's really your subconscious mind at work, either directing things or telling you something is wrong when you change directions. I'll write that way at times, especially when I am starting something new and I just want to run blindly with it for a while and see where it leads. There comes a time, however, when I end up setting that process aside and moving things consciously in the way I want them to go.

I'm new to writing, so I ask a question. If your married to an idea 'so to speak' is that a rookie mistake or do more experienced authors still find themselves falling into this trap.

Is it more a bad thing or good thing?

We all have our pet projects, things we don't really want to let go even though it might not be in our best interest. More often than not, you can keep the notes but you need to find a voice or gain more experience. I know a few projects I just wrote weren't even possible without getting more concept/story structure/voice built up.

Keep that in mind. It is okay to set it aside and know you might need something else to make the project happen.

When I get characters or even just an idea, it's often because I'm asleep and a few of the characters just decide to have a full on conversation for me to hear. When this happens I get absolutely no peace until I've gotten down on paper.

Not that weird. Researchers has found that being tired (or drunk) boosts creativity and problem solving ability in most people. I write some of my best dialogue when staying up late.

I also seem to be very good at music when I'm half asleep, but not otherwise.

And from then on they take complete control. I have very little say in what actually happens in the story or whether or not they will let me write for them at any given time. I can add stuff in, but if they don't agree... well forget it, they won't let me continue writing until I change it back. I suppose the best was to describe it would be to say that the characters are often completely their own person and they are telling me their story so that I can write it down for them. I mean, I very obviously have influence on the style of the writing, but not everything else.
I know I'm not completely crazy as one of my close friends also writes this way, but I don't actually know anyone else that does.
You all?

Well, this probably just means you are more of a discovery writer than an outliner. Some writers are definitely more intuitive than others, while some feel the need to keep it very structured.

Me, I think intuition is a valuable ability for any writer, but so is the ability to plan. I try to maintain a good balance. Writing is as much a craft as it is an art, and having no conscious control over where your story goes probably isn't a good thing. Not to mention, being unable to control the figments of your own imagination doesn't sound very healthy.

Let me clarify that: Letting your characters do as they please and having the story develop naturally is not in itself bad, but convincing yourself you cannot affect what is going on in your own brain is a very bad attitude. What do you do when the plot runs straight into a hole, or there is a darling you absolutely have to kill? The problem with the subconscious is that it is generally very imprecise: That's why dreams usually only make sense in symbolic ways. If you can't control the story, then neither can you refine it.

Let me clarify that: Letting your characters do as they please and having the story develop naturally is not in itself bad, but convincing yourself you cannot affect what is going on in your own brain is a very bad attitude. What do you do when the plot runs straight into a hole, or there is a darling you absolutely have to kill? The problem with the subconscious is that it is generally very imprecise: That's why dreams usually only make sense in symbolic ways. If you can't control the story, then neither can you refine it.

But that is part of what makes it easier for me, especially if something needs to happen to a character that I like. If it needs to happen for the story, then it happens. My characters have no problem making terrible things happen. They seem to rather like it really. It's strange.

They give me leeway to do things, but if it's not what they want it doesn't happen.

One other thing that I didn't mention earlier, when you go back and re-read what you've written, do you ever find yourself not remembering having written it?

saellys

Inkling
When I get characters or even just an idea, it's often because I'm asleep and a few of the characters just decide to have a full on conversation for me to hear. When this happens I get absolutely no peace until I've gotten down on paper.

More than once I have changed into my jammies, gotten under the covers, turned off the lights, and immediately been bombarded with hundreds of words of perfectly developed dialogue for a scene I hadn't even started planning yet. Not only could I not sleep until I typed it all out (usually dialogue-only, no action or description, just to placate the muses and let me get on with my life), but I was also terrified that if I did fall asleep I'd lose it all.

Trust me, the silence will do wonders, they will get the hint, and then you can hone your skills by directing instead of being a therapist.

Therapists help people work through their problems. Writers write the story of how characters work through their problems. I don't understand why this is a negative connotation. Sometimes characters are so rich and whole that they really do write their own stories, and forcing something else to happen is unnatural--and usually results in certain acts being read as out of character. If you have to kill a dragon to further your plot, but you've established your protagonist as being very interested in dragon rescue and relocation, a sudden change of heart will be out of place. That's an extreme example, but you get the idea. If your characters disagree with what you want them to do, there are two options: you created the wrong characters, or you're writing the wrong story.

Therapists help people work through their problems. Writers write the story of how characters work through their problems. I don't understand why this is a negative connotation. Sometimes characters are so rich and whole that they really do write their own stories, and forcing something else to happen is unnatural--and usually results in certain acts being read as out of character. If you have to kill a dragon to further your plot, but you've established your protagonist as being very interested in dragon rescue and relocation, a sudden change of heart will be out of place. That's an extreme example, but you get the idea. If your characters disagree with what you want them to do, there are two options: you created the wrong characters, or you're writing the wrong story.

Apparently you haven't had your characters run roughshod over you. Yes, you can work out your characters problems and yes, you can get a story out of them. However, much like other people in the world we think is real, there are some that NEVER STOP HAVING PROBLEMS. Even small ones. The ones they blow out of proportion, the ones they think is life changing...

Read any screenwriting guide and they'll tell you to let the actors act, but they aren't in charge of the movie. It's the same way with the author. You can get all the information you want. Heck, break out the poorly made stand with the 5 cent sign and play Lucy, that's cool. It won't get you anywhere if that character won't let go.

Case in point: I just finished my story about a pre-teen and her stuffed animals. The story is finished. I am making notes of other stories to work on, but I'm also moving onto another project. She can tell me everything she wants. She has an amazing amount of adventures. When it comes time, I'll explore that when we're both ready. She isn't aging. She won't become an adult and forget these adventures (I might, but that's because I'm crazy). I'll tell her its quiet time and move on, letting her know every once in a while I haven't forgotten about her.

You must lay down the stern hand. Your characters are like your children. Sometimes you must lay down the rules and apply discipline when it is needed.

You must lay down the stern hand. Your characters are like your children. Sometimes you must lay down the rules and apply discipline when it is needed.
That is the complete opposite of how I write. The characters, or muses, are the ones that decide when and what I write about. I mean, they are literally their own people. One of them was angry one time because of something that happened and wouldn't let me write again until he calmed down.
I guess some of us just have extremely different methods in which we write.