• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Xbox One or PS4?

teacup

Auror
They said a while back that they're making a whole new Zelda for Wii U. I don't think it's any of these because they said that the first temple was a forest temple larger than Hyrule Field in Ocarina. Link Between Worlds is supposed to have the same overworld as Past, and I don't think temple 1 is a forest one, and of course the remake of Wind Waker won't be the one, else it would already be known to have the largest temple.

kayd_mon

Sage
I think that Nintendo should drop out of the console market and just publish their games on other systems. Most people like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, and besides those games (and a few offshoots of Mario, including Smash Bros), the systems flounder. They are the next Sega.

teacup

Auror
I agree. The one and only reason I'll be buying the Wii U is because the new Zelda is exclusive to it. (Though I will buy more games once I have it.)

Kaellpae

Inkling
I preferred the 360 to the PS3. I haven't heard much about the PS4, but as it stands I won't buy the One until I have the other systems and a brand new desktop for games.

Microsoft changed their policies on used games and what not but still it made so many people angry why would they go back? Playstation has always been a superior system and the only reason I have a 360 is for halo but I'm not really inclined to play H5 since 4 wasn't that great and destiny will be released on playstation 4.

Ophiucha

Auror
I guess they hope that if they remove the two biggest problems with their system, in most people's opinion at least, then at least the people who were big fans of the Xbox 360 will still buy the One. I think they've alienated enough people who weren't already Xbox fans, but they're hoping they can keep their old fans with this move. Which is probably fair - it still has a lot of problems and is not as good from a technical perspective as the PS4, but the changes they've made should make it possible for military personnel stationed around the world to play, as well as people without a steady internet connection and people who primarily buy used games due to their budget or location. The price point, if it doesn't change, is still wince-worthy and I know many people aren't happy about the mandatory Kinect feature, but at least without the DRM/always online/no-used stuff people won't feel ethically against the system. They might just wait until a price drop to actually buy it.

"No used games. Not sure how that's going to pan out." Has this been confirmed or is it still just a rumour? I watched some E3 coverage focusing on the Xbox One yesterday and there was no discussion of the no used games rumour.

I do believe the price will hurt Microsoft's sales, it jumped too high too quickly.

Presently I play fantasy rpgs and a couple of adventure games on an Xbox 360 and I'm very happy with the system; I feel no great urge to buy into Xbox One and likely won't until a really good fantasy rpg is released for it.
Now that they've reneged on their stances, the only people that will even know this was a possibility are the ones that pay attention to every announcement and most people won't hear about these disastrous policies. That said, I don't have trust for Microsoft and fully believe that they will slide back to these policies as quickly as they can in the upcoming generation while still maintaining the bare minimum of what they need in order to say they don't have those policies.

And if a game developer wants to have an always-on requirement for their game, then I'm sure Microsoft would encourage that while still maintaining that the system doesn't require always-on.

I think that Nintendo should drop out of the console market and just publish their games on other systems. Most people like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, and besides those games (and a few offshoots of Mario, including Smash Bros), the systems flounder. They are the next Sega.
The Wii floundered? History of video game consoles (seventh generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If by flounder you mean, "beat them out right."

I was very surprised to see the playstation being cheaper. I heard that Sony said the playstation 4 will not be backwards compatible but what about that cloud thing they bought? I have some friends who say eventually you will be able to play ps3 games on ps4 but I'm not sure how cloud works?

Also I'm going to buy a ps3 soon, if I get an account is it true it will transfer over if I get a 4?

I've heard your playstation network account will transfer over, but the cloud backwards compatibility is tentative and may not be ready for quite a while.

Xbox isn't going to be backwards compatible either, is it? Backwards compatibility really is not overly popular nowadays with the console developers it seems.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I have to agree with Zero Angel. The Wii was immensely popular. The Wii U is still struggling some, but I think it'll do fine once they get some bigger titles. They should have probably had some bigger franchises ready for launch.

However, I still think this is a two company console war. Microsoft shifting their stance shows that when hardcore gamers get angry, things happen. All the bad press and weak pre-orders (apparently) have put Microsoft on watch. I'm sure Sony is just lying back right now thinking, "Hehehe..."

It's not over yet though. It's really going to depend on the games that come out.

kayd_mon

Sage
I say that the Wii floundered because I work with teenagers, none of whom play Wii ever. When it first came out they played Wii sports as a novelty, then quickly abandoned it. They like the DS ok, though prefer whatever Sony handheld is out, and they never mention Wii U. It looks like sales figures are higher for the Wii, but are game sales?

Ddruid

Minstrel
Funny, I've been hearing a lot about how Xbox one has been a massive fail. Hasn't everybody else?

EDIT:

Whoops, I thought this was the first page. Sorry, just read the rest of the thread. Even then, I've heard a lot of people talking about how Microsoft has practically cleared the stage for Playstation.

So How About That New Xbox, Eh?

Anyways, I still think that PC is the best platform for gaming. It's so annoying how they've stopped putting games on PC. Another complaint I've heard from gamers, how awesome new games are coming out for Xbox and playstation but not for PC.

Last edited:
Xbox one because I have always used xbox

Are they seriously going to call it the Xbox One? Every time I hear that I think of the clunky, takes-20-years-to-load, can-stop-a-bullet, gathering-dust-in-my-attic Xbox.

Another reason I don't choose to buy Xbox? Many of their "must-have" games are playable on Windows. Computer games are some of the funnest games (Skyrim, Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, Civilization, etc) and just tend to flounder when played on consoles. Even if designed for consoles from the get-go, I'd still rather play on the computer. Of course, mods are wonderful. For non-computer games, that's what I have my PS3 and Wii for.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Nintendo games sold extremely well on the Wii. 3rd party games floundered, but part of that was because the Wii couldn't handle some of the graphics so most games were never ported to the Wii. The graphics problem at least was fixed with the Wii U, but they haven't yet shown that 3rd Party games will sell well. And there aren't many strong Nintendo games there, yet, either.

Also, High Schoolers don't represent gamers, which - believe it or not - average quite a bit older nowadays.

The XBOX One hasn't cleared way for the Playstation, partly because they've backtracked on the DRM, and partly because people complain about privacy issues much more than they act on them. That, and the handful of XBox which Microsoft makes, combined with their exclusivity windows, will push people into giving them a lot of leeway.

I think the three consoles have all picked their niches - with XBox trying to do everything, Sony doing only the most popular stuff, and the Wii U focusing on innovative gameplay. In my opinion, the Wii U would trounce them if - and it's a big if - they could get 3rd party games to make use of the features on the Wii/Wii U remotes. More likely, I think Sony will make headway for now, but that XBox will take the lead when they finally figure out how to make it into stand-alone-do-everything box they want it to be.