• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Yet another noob thread

PapaGiddy

Hi :)

I was going to introduce myself as a budding writer, but I've not really reached the budding phase yet. I'm more a semi-germinated-seedling writer, or perhaps a still-in-the-packet-but-has-got-a bit-moist writer, which just doesn't have the same ring, so I'll skip all that and will just say Hi (again).

About 6 months ago I decided that the rat-race life I was living didn't provide the necessary creative stimulation, so rather than mope and sulk and get depressed (which has always been my usual tact for such times of gut-churning-realisation) I decided to take positive action to change what I didn’t like. I negotiated with the company I work for to drop down to just 3 days a week, providing me with a better work/life balance and time to spend on my hobbies and enjoying quality time with my young family.

One of the key drivers in this has been to find the time to do something I have long wished to do, which is write a book (I also want to run a marathon dressed as a chicken, but there are other fora for that I would guess). Over the years I have shunned the TV in order to read thousands-upon-thousands of books, and I have had many ideas for stories that I have started to develop but haven't found the necessary impetus or time to take any further than writing out the plot, storyline and lead characters.

Now I find myself with the time I needed to take it to the next stage, but I am feeling slightly lost and bewildered by what I should be doing. What is right and what is wrong. How can I optimise my time and how can I create something that I'm proud of.

I have the burgeonings of what I feel will be a great story. It has scope for growth, a clear plot and interesting characters. My inexperience however is my frailty, and I from reading through some of the threads on this site it would appear that I still have a long road of learning ahead of me if I ever want my story to be read by anyone other than family and friends. Fundamentally though, I'm doing this to enjoy the experience first and foremost, and because I feel I could write a damn good original story with the right support from those that have worn these shoes before me.

For now though I am just trying to set some ground rules for myself and get into better habits. I've bought a standalone laptop for writing and am trying to put pen to paper (figuratively) for at least an hour or two every day. I've downloaded some of the book recommendations you have listed on this site and have spent an evening clicking on links to suggested pages that are useful.

Thanks for welcoming me onto your site - I'll probably spend a few more days viewing old posts so I don't annoy all of the old heads immediately by asking the obvious or already answered, but I will however be picking your brains remorselessly in the coming months. You are all stars, and receive my most heartfelt thanks in advance. :p

PG

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hello PG
Welcome To Mythic Scribes
Leap on in when you half half a mind and enjoy the ride.
Plot... Storyline... Characters... well your ahead of me right now!:p
Hope the life changing works for you...

SeverinR

Vala
Don't be overwhelmed,
creative writing is a journey, not a destination. There is never perfection, never the end all best story.

You must write to become better, you must read to become a better writer, you must learn the hurdles of the business also.

Writing is an artform and we are all artists in training, even the ones that have published.