• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Favorite Fantasy World

Sir Kenneth

Acolyte
Middle-Earth. It just feels so lived in and fleshed out and with such a rich sense of history. I don't think there's ever been written anything quite like it. Not anything I've read anyway.

Rogue

Dreamer
I can't really answer this because my answer today will be different than it was yesterday and would change come tomorrow. I just can't pick a favorite. But if I had a chance to visit one, assuming that I wouldn't remain the incompetent lummox I am in the real world, then I would have to choose the Forgotten Realms. The stories I've read in that setting aren't my favorites by a long stretch, I don't even have that high of an opinion of most of them, but the world just screams of a high fantasy setting where anything is possible.

I feel like it would give me the potential to live out all of my ultimate wish-fulfillment dreams from boyhood when my stories were still just shameless self-insertion and I'd be the budding adventurer turned legendary hero, slinging spells and swords left and right and dragons would tremble when they heard my name! Because ultimately, while my writing has matured since those days (at least I hope so!), my dreams certainly haven't and I'm happy for that! :bookworm:

Yora

Maester
I am tempted to say Planescape. As a game setting it has some serious design flaws, but it's overall style is just fantastic in every sense of the word.

Star Wars and Morrowind are both strong runners-up.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I might like to take a tour of the upper Miskatonic Valley someday. Through the picturesque--though crumbling--covered bridge and past the quaint and friendly village of Dunwich. I wonder why no one has opened a bed and breakfast yet. Note the 'Indian' ceremonial site on that hilltop over there. We should come back and do an archaeological dig next time.

Last edited:

Killerwizerd

Star Wars was considered "Space Fantasy" when it first entered the world, and that's what I would consider my favorite. If it doesn't count, then probably Azeroth(World of Warcraft), from a Lore stance (not a gameplay one)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Meh, they are all good.

I think maybe the world of Greek Mythology, with plenty of monsters, and amazons ;)

Star Wars would not be bad.