• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Favorite Fantasy World

K.S. Crooks

Maester
I'm pretty straight forward: 1) Narnia because I like all the creatures that exist there. 2) Our world with muppets that are really alive.

As others have said, Tamriel and Middle Earth would both be pretty cool. I would also like to check out Dunwall, although the plague would be a little unsettling lol. Also, I happen to play MTG, and have read several books tied into that game, so yeah... I would LOVE to go planeswalking through those different worlds.

Nomadica

Troubadour
Dying Earth by Jack Vance. Both the world itself and the cultures in it. I like how it's on earth yet so alien and magical and ominously beautiful. So far nobody can paint pictures in my head like Jack Vance, its like watching a movie in my skull.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
So many of the fantasy worlds are so grim, I doubt I'd like to visit there. Even Narnia feels like a place more dangerous than interesting.

Nomadica

Troubadour
So many of the fantasy worlds are so grim, I doubt I'd like to visit there. Even Narnia feels like a place more dangerous than interesting.
Dangerous yes but even though the earth is dying it doesn't feel as grim as one would think. "There is evil on Earth, evil distilled by time … Earth is dying and in its twilight." The "few thousand strange souls" are "feverishly merry, for infinite night was close at hand, when the red sun should finally flicker and go black"

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Don't get me wrong, I love Jack Vance and the Dying Earth. To read.

But if I want to party and get wasted in the face of the apocalypse, why I can to that right here. ;-)

I mean, I want to visit Hogwarts, but Middle Earth...I suppose? I would love to stay in a hobbit hole.

I'm not altogether sure i want to visit my own worlds. All are quite dangerous, and dark.

Tom

Istar
I'd love to visit Earthsea. Favorite fantasy world by a long shot. I'd also be up to experience Arilisee, my least hostile created world, mostly because of the sheer amount of fun I've had building it.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Discworld and Lower London of Neverwhere. I like them not so much because I'd like to go there, but because very often I feel like I already am there.
You beat me to both of them!
I'd love to live on the Discworld. It seems such a nice place. I know that bad things go on there but it has a safe cosy feel to it. I live not far from places that would be right at home on The Chalk.
As for London Below, it feels fantastical but all too believable. I went to the Catacombs in Paris and it felt like a glimpse of somewhere straight out of Neverwhere. And that it was written more than 20 years ago...

Insolent Lad

Maester
There is something to be said for Zelazny's Amber multiverse (or is it an infiniverse?). So many possibilities—assuming one has the abilities of the royal family! Of course, in a sense, we all already live there.

Corwynn

Troubadour
Others have mentioned Middle Earth and Tamriel. Both have a rich sense of history, geography and culture that allow one to explore well beyond the limits of the main story.

Another favourite is the Empire of the Isles from the Dishonored series. It's broadly based on 19th century Europe, but with some unique twists to make it interesting. The art style is gorgeous, and Arkane has included a lot of worldbuilding info. Even though we only get to see a small part of the setting, there is so much to see and do within that area. It has been a major influence on my own fantasy world.

I also like the world from Cecelia Dart-Thornton's Bitterbynde series. While Dart-Thornton has her flaws as a writer (she can get overly self-indulgent with the language), her world is beautifully-crafted, drawing heavily from European (especially Celtic) folklore. It is world of both beauty and peril, where magic and fay creatures are everywhere.

There are also a few webcomic universes I find quite fascinating, most of which you've probably never heard of, but what most of them have in common is a sense of strangeness and exoticism that I find compelling.

Albion, from the Fable series, for sheer mystical whimsey (and utterly terrifying things inside the whimsy). And it's one of those Fantasy world's one has a chance to survive in. At least bigger then normal.

Game of Thrones world ( I haven't yet had the pleasure of reading it but am heading that way having just finished season 7). The inkworld in Cornillia Funkes Ink series, it's a middle school aged book but has always stuck with me. I particularly love it in the second book where it's more dominantly used.

Gurkhal

Auror
Westeros because it, at least in the much of the material, isn't as magic-heavy as many other worlds.

After that comes Middle Earth.