• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

SPOILERS: GRRM's "A Song of Ice and Fire"

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Note: The title says SPOILERS. Read at your own risk. The spoilers include all of the books written so far, ending with A Dance of Dragons

This is to discuss George R.R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire (the current books and future ones). Feel free to discuss anything about the series in general without fear of spoiling anything. This is a free discussion for those that have read the books.

Anyone that wants to start the discussion, feel free! What did you like about the books? What didn't you like? What characters do you enjoy/don't enjoy/want to see die?

Last edited:

Nihal

Vala
Good, I think people have been wanting a topic like this for a while.

I propose we start with Dany. How do you feel about her? It's only me or anyone else feels hard to get into her character sometimes? I understand that sometimes it's useful to the author to step back while writing a POV and keep some facts, feelings and thoughts from the reader so he can surprise them a little later, but I often feel detached from her.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I really like Dany overall, but she's probably my least favorite of the "main characters." I think it has more to do with her being so far away from where most of the central action is going on. I feel the same about Jon Snow sometimes because he's so far away from all the other characters, it's sometimes harder to get into what he's doing.

I really loved Dany's arc in A Game of Thrones the most. From a timid girl to a strong Khaleesi, her struggles with gaining respect and dealing with Viserys. All of that made for an awesome arc. However, I'm not sure any of her other story-lines have reached the same level as that first one did for me.

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
I really like Dany overall, but she's probably my least favorite of the "main characters." I think it has more to do with her being so far away from where most of the central action is going on. I feel the same about Jon Snow sometimes because he's so far away from all the other characters, it's sometimes harder to get into what he's doing.

They are actually my two favorite characters.

I love Dany not only because of her strong character arc and the avoidance of cliche regarding her development, but she offers the most story potential.

By separating her from the main action, her situation is left wide open to develop on its own and work its way toward an eventual conflict with those who are involved in the main action directly. When that conflict does come about, it can potentially cause a greater impact on the overall story than those involved in the main action on their own. Her situation is utterly unique within that story's world, and I don't know anyone who doesn't want to see her (spoiler for book one: take her dragons to Westeros and start ****ing shit up!) <--- highlight to read.

Kit

Maester
THIS ENTIRE POST IS A SPOILER.

I'm dying to know who the other two riders of Dany's dragons are going to be. My vote is Tyrion (who actually had a conversation with one of the Stark kids in one of the earliest chapters about dreaming of riding dragons) and Bran.

I can't believe we're this far in and Dany hasn't even gotten to the damn CONTINENT yet. I don't see how he's going to wrap that up without rushing it.

I had a firey debate with one friend regarding whether it was ethical or not for Jon to leave the wall and try to rule the continent (or part of it). I'm very serious about oaths, and I feel like since he took an oath, he can't ever leave the Night's Watch. My friend also felt that Jon shouldn't leave, but for a different reason- he felt that the Night's Watch needed Jon too badly.

I want to know where Rickon is. We haven't heard a thing about him since he left Winterfell with Osha.

Sansa drives me crazy. I want to choke her.

My housemate thought I was nuts when I told him that Lyanna and Raegar are Jon's parents. Can I get a witness?

Do you think the Hound is dead? I don't.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
The whole point of this discussion is to not worry about spoiler tags. I just posted this new rule when it comes to discussion. If you want to discuss individual books, start a new thread. Any thread that is tagged SPOILERS, will in fact have spoilers. This thread is for people who have read all the books (as I stated in the first post) Check the new guidelines for that. And please feel free to start a thread about each individual book if you'd like (for instance if you haven't read A Dance with Dragons or whatever) Here are the new guidelines concerning spoiler threads. http://mythicscribes.com/forums/novels-stories/7712-rules-discussing-books-spoilers.html

EDIT: Actually, I'll post a new thread now.

FatCat

Maester
Bran is gonna take control of one of the dragons, calling it now. And Jaime gets one too, only because that'd be awesome.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It sort of makes sense for Bran to get a dragon I think as well because he uses Hodor and someone told Bran once that knights don't need to walk anyway (maybe Tyrion said that?)

Lyanna and Rhaegar are Jon's parents? Huh? So that would make him...ohhhhhhhhh...

That does makes sense sort of.

FatCat

Maester
I think he'll do the whole warg thing and become the dragon, not ride it. Dany and Tyrion, will probably fill out the other two, just wondering what they'll do when the Whitewalkers make their move, capture Westeros or save Westeros!? They should just let the whole place freeze over, move to Valyria and call it a day. Hodor gets to come to.

Kit

Maester
Lyanna and Rhaegar are Jon's parents? Huh? So that would make him...ohhhhhhhhh...

That does makes sense sort of.

Puh-LEEEZ, George's been bashing us over the head with it from the beginning!!!!! Recall Lyanna's pleading with Eddard to promise her (to take care of her kid and keep it a secret), which he did. Recall the "story" Meera told Bran while they were on the run. I think Howland Reed knows EVERYTHING. I want to meet him.

Besides which, it would give Jon a claim to the kingship of the entire continent, and wouldn't that be interesting (whether it came to fruition or not).

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Sometimes I get lost with Bran's storyline, so maybe I just didn't pick up on it. But it makes sense now. But to have ANOTHER king vying for the throne? I don't think that'll work so well at this stage in the game. If he's going to finish in the next two books.

Mainly, I want to see what happens with Tyrion and Dany, now that they are together in a way. Is he going to be the adviser she's desperately needed?

Kit

Maester
It might work *best*- it could be argued that he has a better claim than anyone- to the entire enchilada.

Mainly, I want to see what happens with Tyrion and Dany, now that they are together in a way. Is he going to be the adviser she's desperately needed?

I dunno; Dany has been doing pretty well on her own hook- at least up until she she fell for Daario and her hormones pickled her brain. :confused:

It really would be a crime to not have Tyrion in politics, though- he's so good at it.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think Dany has had her moments, but she tends to trust people too much. Tyrion would be perfect for dealing with all those vipers. Plus, I just have this image of he and Dany riding dragons and smoking everyone. And then he makes some quip after roasting Cersei or something.

And yes, from you earlier post, I'm sure the Hound will crop back up. He became one of my favorites on the TV show and was always a sort of favorite in the books.

Shaun b.

Dreamer
I find Dany quite boring, I spent most of the last novel waiting for something massive to happen. It wasn't until the very end that I felt she had really advanced in her arc. Speaking of which, I think that when she returns from her casual jaunt she will do so at the head of a large host of Dothraki Screamers. One thing I do love about Dany are the characters that she is surrounded by, Some of the most flavourful I've encountered.

As for Bran, I don't think he is destined to ride one of the dragons, I think he will rally the ancient races north of the wall. Perhaps I'm being short sighted and cant place him and Dany together. I think Bran's destined to sit as lord of Winterfell.

I love Tyrion, really I do hes a wonderful character, and possibly one of the best men in the book, as far as good men go. Again, im not sure if he will ride a dragon, its kind of easy to fathom out and doesnt really go with the flow. I think when he meets Dany he will have to work very hard in proving his loyalty.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It's fun to just speculate who will get dragons or anything like that. I'm not sure where Martin is going with that, but being that one of the dragons is dead (I think? Is that right?) then there may be some symbolism to that like with the five Stark wolves.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
It's fun to just speculate who will get dragons or anything like that. I'm not sure where Martin is going with that, but being that one of the dragons is dead (I think? Is that right?) then there may be some symbolism to that like with the five Stark wolves.

None of the 3 dragons have died yet.....

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
One of the other sites I frequent is dedicated to 'Game of Thrones'. Lots of posters who go over the books in exhaustive detail. Based on things they've pointed out (or I spotted on my own) :

I can't believe we're this far in and Dany hasn't even gotten to the damn CONTINENT yet. I don't see how he's going to wrap that up without rushing it.

I suspect she does not make it to Westeros, or arrives as something other than a conquorer. Worth keeping in mind: the big delay with the last book coming out was GRRM wanting to 'solve' the situation in the slaver cities. Much of the last two books have been dedicated towards setting up a gigantic confrontation there. A confrontation with Dany as its centre.

I want to know where Rickon is. We haven't heard a thing about him since he left Winterfell with Osha.

Skagos, isle of cannibles.

Sansa drives me crazy. I want to choke her.

Once she completes her training with Littlefinger, I suspect her POV will become fascinating.
My housemate thought I was nuts when I told him that Lyanna and Raegar are Jon's parents. Can I get a witness?
A very common theory.

Do you think the Hound is dead? I don't.

He's digging graves at a monastery near Saltpan. Brienne saw him, but did not recognize him during her visit.

I don't know if you'd exactly call him 'alive', but Gregor Clegane is still...moving.