• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Oh hai!

Foah

Troubadour
Because what is more approriate a greeting than a misspelled one, here at a writers' forum? :)

My name is Foah. Obviously not a name given at birth, yet I rarely go for anything else online. I'm 23 years of age, currently residing in Stockholm, Sweden which is where I've done most of the growing up parts of my life. I'm a high school drop-out - I had one of those make-money-quickly urges back at 16-17, so to the local supplies distribution center it was.

Now, some 6 years later, I'm on the verge of going back to the uni side of life. That's one of the extremely good things about Sweden - it's never too late to catch up on studies, and it's free. Hell, you even get monthly grants to get your butt through courses.

The one goal that's still standing for me, is to write the novels I've wanted to write for so long, and get these ideas I walk around with molded into, subjectively speaking, epic tales. So, to end the introduction I think a description of my work sounds fitting.

I'm heavily invested in the world-building part of things at this time. At this time, rough estimates would say I have nearly 2,000 places in my world mapped out (literally, mapped out. Yay for knowing photoshop and having simple pencil drawing skill). 1,500 people have also made their way into the character resources department. Factions, beliefs, history of the world, you name it - it's all been through a few drafts already. Funny thing is that I have yet to write the very first word of the actual novel.

The biggest problem I see myself having, is the one posed by the english language. I'm a purebred Swede, and my english comes mostly from reading newspapers, books and watching the neverending supply of TV series and cinematic blockbusters from the states. While I consider my english to be fairly good, I'm sure it will prove troublesome at times, but all good things take time.

On these forums, I hope to find people in the same place in their novel working, and people who can provide help and support along the way.

This has been a ramble, but I'm here. Hi :D

Tevaras

Minstrel
Good evening Foah,

welcome to the forums. I too am rather new, but no doubt will get into things.

Your English is more than adequate :), though if you are learning from newspapers and your newspapers are anything like they are where I live watch out - in my area at least the spelling, grammar, and punctuation of newspapers is very bad :eek:. I cringe sometimes when reading our 'local rag'.

Anyway, enjoy your stay, I hope you get a lot out of it.

Tevaras

Welcome to the Scribes Foah. Yes, English is a very awkward language, I'm glad it was the first I learnt because I can't imagine being able to learn it as a second language. However, your english looks fine. You certainly seem to be quite the world-builder, I'm sure you'll fit in fine around here, do have fun.

Jeff Xilon

Minstrel
Hello Foah. I have to say as both an ESL teacher and an avid reader that your English certainly looks good enough to me! If you don't mind a suggestion I'd say dive in and start writing. Don't let any fear hold you back, and remember that even the best native English speaking authors in the world almost assuredly produce really terrible first drafts. If you're at all worried just make sure you have some native-English speakers as beta readers when the time comes to help catch any language issues. It sounds like you've got the world building well in hand, no sense letting it go to waste.