• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo Daily Accountability Journal

nlough

Troubadour
Day 11: It is my 3rd day of writing and so far I have a total of 7502 words. I am averaging about 2500 words per day. If I keep at the pace I'm going I should reach my goal by the end of the month. NaNoWriMo is really encouraging me to write this novel and I'm going to do it. It most likely won't be finished by the end of the month but I will have a good amount done. I work nights and luckily have tonight off so I have some extra time to write. Probably will sleep in after a rough past few days but I'll have a few extra hours to write and will thrive for 10000 words total tomorrow.

C

Chessie

Did 2010 today, bringing my total to 17, 3 something. Getting up there!

Day 11: 7,607 words total

Still chugging along. My MC just met the soon-to-be antagonist so I'm excited for that. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get up to 10k total, then Wednesday I'll be on my own all day until the evening. A good time to get a nice chunk of words in (specifically 5k). Here's to getting caught up.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Great to see the updates! Productive days are always good. I don't see anyone saying they've stalled out recently, so that's encouraging. If you get stuck, don't worry, just skip it and carry on. Novels don't necessarily have to be written in a linear fashion. In fact, if I find myself stuck, I'm going to probably write my ending. So far, so good though! Update later tonight on Day 12.

I WAS stuck, but my outline saved me.

When i wrote my outline, i added big interesting events at even spacing throughout, knowing that things would change as i wrote. I got stuck in a transitional point (leaving the swamp and its difficulties behind, crossing the highlands into the mountains) and after beating my head against a wall for two days and scouring the web for writers block breakers, went back to my outline. i took my next big event and kept breaking it down into steps, and was swamped with little twists and ideas as i went. more came when i started writing, and im back in the ballpark now with 16,300 words.

hoping for another 1,500 tonight at least, and passing 20k before tomorrow would be really nice.

Graylorne

Archmage
2,000 today. Another 500 and I'll have passed 20,000.

I have the following situation:

A. The main character A did a Frodo on his friends B and crept away with his girlfriend for the story finals. Doesn't know the others are following.

B. His three friends follow A, they are 2 days behind. They know of A and now of D, who they want dead, but not of the others.

C. Another character, formerly an antagonist FA dupe, is following A as well, to warn him of antagonist FB's plans. He knows of A and F, but not the others. He has a young girl and a boy child with him.

D. A minor antagonist joined C under false flag. He should die at the finale. He knows only of C.

E. The rest of the friends come from the opposite direction. The girl völva among them must kill the main antagonist FB at the finale. He is the false gods' toy and too strong for A. They seek A and think B is with him, but know not of the others.

F. Main antagonists are two, and not a story line; they appear at appropriate moments. They try to capture and use A, kill or at least hold up B, capture and kill C and know not of D and E.
FA is the corrupted jarl, FB his puppetmaster shaman who must be killed by E völva.

None of them, except C and D, should meet before the end.

They all journey by horse, until the last stretch, what will be a volcanic land with false gods, rivers of lava, deadly gases, etc.

They all expect a journey full of adventures. And no, they can't kill the same crocodile four times.

Got it?

And I chose this for NaNo. Silly me.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Day 12: Passed another milestone, hitting over 30,000 with 30,095 words. I may be going for a bare minimum next with 1,667, but we'll see how that pans out. I've been trying to stay ahead due to going on a short trip this weekend, so as long as I can hit good numbers, I should be safe. Keep going!

nlough

Troubadour
Day 12: Into my 4th day of writing. My goal for the day was 10,000, but I have reached 12,000 instead. So far so good. Looking to be all caught up by the end of week. Came to a block in my writing, but I decided to go ahead and write the final chapter. I usually don't write ahead of the story but I had the idea fresh in my mind and decided just to write it out.

Butterfly

Auror
I haven't updated this in a while. Think I was at...

Day 9 - 1705

Day 10 - 3738 (Sunday)

Day 11 - 2099

Day 12 - (Today) 3959

Brings me up to... 36081.

I have the main plot sorted, beginning middle and end, all done. Now I have to go back and fill in the plot holes and turn all those tricky bits of notes and bullet points into actual scenes. Now the real work begins!

Chilari

Staff
Day 12. After a zero day yesterday because I couldn't stop reading the latest Terry Pretchett novel, I've done a good few words today - over 2,700, with a tital wordcount just shy of 14,000. If I can maintain a similar daily wordcount for the next few days I will hopefully catch up with where I'm meant to be by the weekend.

C

Chessie

I did 2,183 today for a total of 19,865. I really hoped to be over 20,000 by now but I have to stop writing for the day. I have some massive time off coming in this weekend so I'm hoping to blast out a good chunk of story by Sunday. :D

I did get stuck on my antagonist's chapter as I stated before, so I jumped ahead to the following part which was a romance scene and that lit my fire. And of course, the scene that interrupts the love session is an action one, so I'm pretty excited about that. I get to use some magic!

Day 12: 10,030 words total

With only 600 words written I was about to go to bed, but kicked my butt into gear instead and poured out 2,400 words. I made my goal for today, though I'm unsure about the 5k I want to write tomorrow...Sounds like a good idea in theory anyway.

sarasvati

Acolyte
I don't remember the last time I updated here. I have been busy with life and writing like mad in between, managing a chapter a day (although this past Sunday's was completed after midnight, I am still counting that day as a success!). So I'll just update for today.

Day 12: 36K-something

I am still worried that my characters are sitting around talking too much. I don't know how to fix it. Action feels forced. I'll worry about it more in revision, because at least right now I have momentum.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
If you feel your characters sitting around talking is interesting, then I don't see a problem with that. Lots of novels deal with people talking about various situations through discussion. Don't force action if your novel doesn't particularly need it. One thing I would do though, is try to have as much conflict as you can if your characters are sitting around talking. If they're just talking about stuff in general, it maybe isn't so interesting. If they're trying to figure out the best way to deal with a dragon is to kill it or trap it, then you have some conflict to play off of.

Good luck!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Day 13: Thanks to word wars with Chilari and senseiseth (which I lost handily, by the way :( ) I cranked out a sizable amount of words last night taking my word count to 32,900 words. It's midnight here, so Day 14 has officially begun. I'm going to give it a go tonight, but I'm pretty tired due to a wonky sleep schedule. Let's see what I can do. Good luck everyone!

C

Chessie

I'm writing a horror scene today...so I hope my word count goes sky high with some dark ambient music to boost the mood. :D

nlough

Troubadour
Day 13: My 5th day of writing and I wrote a little 3,000 words today that's 500 more than I my daily goal bringing my total word count to a little over 15,000. I thought I had written my ending yesterday but while at work last night I tried think of a few closing paragraphs for my story when a better ending popped in my head. I no way did it change the previous ending, okay I guess technically it did but the part I had before is still in there it just continues into the final part of the story involving an epic fight scene. Listening to my Heavy Metal music really helped. Looking to do at least 2500 more words tomorrow, I'm aiming for 5,000 if I can but if I only write 2500 that's fine. I still have a lot of the middle to write so I have plenty of holes to fill. Hope everyone else's writing is going well and keep up the good work.

Graylorne

Archmage
Day 13: 1,670. That makes my total NaNo score 22,082. I'm officially back on schedule now.

I'm writing the main character line as far as I can, before adding the secondary lines.