• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do You Need Last Names?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
No, you don't need them. See, e.g., Glen Cook's Black Company books, or Steven Erikson's Malazan books, where about all you get are nicknames for most of the characters. A few may have their actual names and last names, but it certainly isn't needed.
What!? You mean his mother didn't actually name him Whiskeyjack? :D

elemtilas

Inkling
Historically speaking, surnames are relatively new. Most people got along with only one given name and perhaps some nicknames.

In a fantasy / rpg setting, you certainly don't need them. But if you like them or feel some deep need to include them, then by all means do so!

Even in the modern world, we don't need them. Legally, you can change your name (well known practice) and you can give yourself a single name if you wish.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I hate using last names because I hate naming, and it makes things harder IMO. But I've been trying to use them more often recently. I think it makes the character feel more complete.

For my sprites they at one point got to pick their own "family" names because they didn't use them in their own kingdom but do among the humans. So of the two MCs, he picked Smughitter, and she picked Vengekeeper.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Oh dear. I have last names and different naming conventions. Some folks have proper familial last names, others who join the priesthood will take last names of of towns or holy sites, shedding their family name. Then there’s another culture where the Father’s family name is their first name, their given name in the middle, and the mother’s name as the third name, but this can shift when the mother is from a more important family, heh heh.

But are they needed? Not always, but I want them there for when they do count.

It all depends on the story.