• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where Did You Get Your Handle?

My mother was positive that I would be a male. She had this system with her kids (nine altogether) if the pregnancy was easy then it was a boy, if it was stressful the baby was a girl. So they were calling me Elliot before I was even born. But then; I was born, and mom had to ditch her system.
I've always wondered what I would have been if Elliot, so when I needed to come up with a handle I used that and added Wyndwryght. A wright is a craftsmen, and I like 'y's, and wind. So: Wyndwryght.
Elsewhere I use the handle Senka Sheridan, which means Shadow Searcher.

Ghost

Inkling
When the paper came out that week, the headline read "Hammerhead and Suzanna Sinister apprehended, Crime on the Southside all Cleaned Up"
As if he or even We could have committed every crime in a city of a million and a half people...

Maybe they thought you were supervillains? You're a legend, Suzanna!

a friend of mine came up with my name for a RPG game I would play with my friends at school. I use the name for one of my MC but his last name is Vortex backwards so it's, Androxine Xetrov

KellyB

Minstrel
Mine's just my name, Kelly + B from my last name. I have a hard enough time coming up with character names in games, so when I join websites, I just use my own name if it's available.

Jess A

Archmage
My name is not from anything I am proud of other than the name itself.
Years ago I was involved with a criminal boyfriend.
He had a nickname with the Local Police dept. and they had a local rag called the Evening Whirl that highlighted all the local arrests and criminals on the loose and captured and crazy stories about things that went on in the city.
My BF was arrested, I happened to be there at the time, they took us both in.
They released me because I didn't have anything to do with his crimes other than he came home to me.
When the paper came out that week, the headline read "Hammerhead and Suzanna Sinister apprehended, Crime on the Southside all Cleaned Up"
As if he or even We could have committed every crime in a city of a million and a half people...Please be serious!
Anyway
that's how I got my handle
I liked the handle
thought the headline was unfair
but hey make the best of it yes?

Wow, quite a story. Bet that's a kicker at any dinner party.

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
My first screen name was actually Moonlight-Zelda, and the more I looked at it, the more I began to draw parallels with my second screen name. Zelda (from the "Legend of Zelda" series, naturally) is the bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom, and by proxy, is a direct representation of the godess Naryu. Naryu has triple crescent moons as her insignia, which in a roundabout way, also relate to water and time. So, that screen name itself is rather self-explained.

SeleneHime, what I'm using in most places that aren't fandom-related, draws off of Moonlight-Zelda. It can be generally summed up to "Moon Princess" in short, which also relates to a favorite character of mine when I was a kid. So, yeah, yay for mythology and nostalgia. ^_^"

Meg the Healer was a famous healer of the Highlands. So famous were her healing powers even the local Faery folk called upon her when faced with illnesses for which they could not cure. She was one of the very few humans ever allowed to walk freely into the realm of Faery and back again. Meg lived to be 100 years old, at which time she was taken into the faeryland where it is believed that she still resides.

I took on this moniker after I became a Massage Therapist in 2006 and since my first name is Megan, it just seemed to fit. However, I am neither famous, nor am close to a 100 years old. But every time I read a book - I do walk freely into the Faery worlds.

Somewhere around 1998 I started on my current project. The narrator quickly took on a life of her own, as good characters will do, and pushed me to bring her to the rest of the world. At first I called her Kyusha, a vaguely Oriental name that didn't bring any hits on Google. For a while I called her Little Mouth. I finally settled on Short Hair. The other elements of the story gradually shifted around her, but she hasn't changed. I hope you'll meet her some day.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Well over 25 years ago on a Sunday afternoon I was on a deserted Railway station when I met a native american called Joe. He was a Navajo Singer. We talked for hours as we waiting for our trains. He changed the way I looked at and thought about everything. It was the moment I grew up a little.
So the "Joe" bit appears in any online name I have to use...
Anyway there is all of that and I an addicted to Coffee [especially if roasted with a hint of figs and dates - an Arab flavour I am told].
PS I love this thread!

FatCat

Maester
Hmm, I hope I don't break any forum rules with this, but mine is a nickname I got in highschool from friends. We were smoking...stuff in an underpass of a highway, sitting on a little ledge that was 10 ft. directly above a small creek that went through the tunnel. The ledge couldn't have been more than a foot wide, so when we were done, getting back proved to be extremely difficult, to say the least. Out of the six of us that were present, only me and one other guy managed to not fall into the creek. Later, one of my friends remarked that I was like a fat cat, because i'm fat and somehow retained balance haha. Use this handle on most everything.

Wynnara

Minstrel
Wynnara is a character in my series. She's a human girl of about 10 with short red hair and an impish expression. In my story she is wise far beyond her years and possesses countless lifetimes of history and knowledge inside her, but still manages to view all that she knows with the clear-sight of a child.

SeverinR

Vala
I posted this before, I think on this site, not sure.

I joined the SCA, and studied the names of Germany in the period I chose,
Severin was a common name in 1200's, the castle my persona, and my personal favorite castle I have seen from a far,
is the Rheinfels castle.
So I became Severin Rheinfelser, in service of Rheinfels castle.
Since working on writing, I have decided to shorten the name, and it is now Severin Rheiner. Still SeverinR.
It is also my handle on Deviantart.
My pro pic is my unregistered COA in the SCA, and a shield I made. (one of two)
[I have two more shield blanks ready to create.
With a third on the shield press. ]
Bascially it is two Flowers over the sun, I am the sun and my daughters are the flowers.

Jess A

Archmage
Hmm, I hope I don't break any forum rules with this, but mine is a nickname I got in highschool from friends. We were smoking...stuff in an underpass of a highway, sitting on a little ledge that was 10 ft. directly above a small creek that went through the tunnel. The ledge couldn't have been more than a foot wide, so when we were done, getting back proved to be extremely difficult, to say the least. Out of the six of us that were present, only me and one other guy managed to not fall into the creek. Later, one of my friends remarked that I was like a fat cat, because i'm fat and somehow retained balance haha. Use this handle on most everything.

Haha - at least you can mock yourself.

Sparkie

Auror
I'd like to say that I got my nickname by doing MIG welding for so long, but that's not true.

I got the name by doing something stupid when I was a kid. I won't say what I did, but it involved me, a boombox, a puddle of water, and a frayed electrical cord.

The end result may explain why I am the way I am. :p

I made this one up new for this forum. I think I was just feeling a bit stiff in the joints that day. Im really not all that gnarled, but my name is Joe.