• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fanfiction: Good or Bad??

Good or bad?

• Good

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
See, this is the mentality that I'm too stupid to understand, apparently. Why not? Why not push yourself just a little more? Why not try for more originality? Why not stretch out into the realms of undiscovered worlds, into the lives of unknown characters?

I'm not just being critical here. I really don't get it and I want to understand. Chilari, someone, please reason with me here. Make the case for fanfic. Help me understand.

Fanfiction is fanfiction, original fiction is original fiction. I think the crux of the matter is that you are automatically thinking about original fiction as a superior form of writing; that writing fanfiction somehow amounts to lowering oneself. You are thinking about it as "voluntarily being a bad kind of author."

For a dedicated fanfiction writer such as myself, however, your question pretty much amounts to: "Why would you eat apples when you can just push yourself a little bit further and eat oranges instead?" It's not that I'm not confident or productive enough to eat oranges, I just happen enjoy the taste of apples.

Last edited:
I have to be honest, I don't really like the idea of fanfiction. I guess it would be a comliment in a way, but I would hate for someone to write fanfic based on my work, because they wouldn't know the characters like I do and I know I wouldn't like their portrayal. I would find it infuriating if I read about one of my characters doing something which I know they wouldn't do. Plus if the author decides to end a story where it should end, then it seems wrong to try and continue it. I just think it would be a lot better to put that energy towards something original.

However, despite that very negative opinion I did vote neutral, because if you're writing just for yourself, as opposed to for an audience, it can be a creatively and mentally stimulating exercise, and obviously can be a way of starting to write creatively, but I don't approve of writing for a wide audience unless the original author approves of your work.

Sinitar

Minstrel
I'm not sure why so many people think that fanfiction requires less effort than a full fledged novel simply because you have another author's world and characters at your disposal. It's true that you have a headstart, but that does not make the journey any less difficult. I wrote short stories, fanfics, and a novel that I did not finish. Of all my works, the fanfic seemed the most difficult.

I find it easier to create my own world, my set of characters and my conflicts than manipulating existing ones. Establishing connections between the information you have and new ideas requires creativity. Coming up with a new plot that ties up loose ends and adds its share of new things also requires a good deal of effort. So, what exactly is "lazy and unimaginative" about fanfics?

Personally, I consider fanfics to be a great way to introduce new people to writing. Their eagerness to write down their ideas(And share them with other people if they want) will help them develop a taste for writing. Perhaps they will even make a hobby out of it. Motivation is a key aspect to writing, and fanfics give new writers the boost they need to start their journey.

Also, I don't understand why some people get so defensive when it comes to fanfics that use their work as canon. A human being purchased your work, dedicated his time to finish it AND liked it so much that he decided to write a fanfic. That's a privilege in my opinion.

Fanfic is a shortcut for those too lazy or feeble to do the heavy lifting of coming up with their own world and characters, or else for those who have the talent but lack confidence in their own creativity and want to play it safe by piggybacking on others.

I appreciate your opinion. What I don't appreciate is how you put every fanfic writer in the same bucket. Generalizing is also a shortcut for those too lazy or ignorant to do their share of research before posting on a forum, you know. Some fanfic writers are perfectly capable of writing Original Works. At the same time, they also write for fun. Why shouldn't they write the work that makes them happy?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Some fanfic writers are perfectly capable of writing Original Works. At the same time, they also write for fun. Why shouldn't they write the work that makes them happy?

As one who writes both fanfic and original works, I appreciate this. ^_^

I'm not sure why so many people think that fanfiction requires less effort than a full fledged novel simply because you have another author's world and characters at your disposal. It's true that you have a headstart, but that does not make the journey any less difficult.

I agree. I don't write traditional fanfiction precisely because it's too difficult to do right. I applaud people that do it right, especially if it can work in the original universe (even if not canonized).

There's even official fanfiction available (at least that's what I call it). For instance, Brandon Sanderson's finishing of the Wheel of Time I consider fanfiction. The Doctor Who comics and novelizations I consider fanfiction because they're not canon, even though they're official. The LotR movies are a form of fanfiction (and every other adaptation there is for anything).

For instance, I would enjoy reading good fanfiction exploring Harry Potter et al at the end of the series (but ignoring that dreadful future train scene, or at least not going that far).

The very first story I ever wrote myself was in primary school and it was a fanfic involving Mega Man. I'll admit that I took some liberties and I did not know as much about the characters as I probably should have.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
There's even official fanfiction available (at least that's what I call it). For instance, Brandon Sanderson's finishing of the Wheel of Time I consider fanfiction.

I don't know. Jordan apparently left extensive outlines and notes and those were followed. If George Lucas hires you to write a Star Wars novel and tell you "here are the characters, the plot outline, and everything that is going to happen, and I want you to follow it" is that Star Wars fanfiction? I don't think it is, personally.

EDIT: And if so, is Empire Strikes Back fanfiction?

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think the easiest dividing line is whether something is an official product created by or made by the rights holder. If so, I don't think the fanfic label works well. So, if J.K. Rowling hires an author to write a story about Harry and Ginny's kids and their adventures, that's not fanfic. If someone just does it on their own, it's fanfic.

Mindfire

Istar
I appreciate your opinion. What I don't appreciate is how you put every fanfic writer in the same bucket. Generalizing is also a shortcut for those too lazy or ignorant to do their share of research before posting on a forum, you know. Some fanfic writers are perfectly capable of writing Original Works. At the same time, they also write for fun. Why shouldn't they write the work that makes them happy?

You opinion certainly sounds great, but it loses its luster once you've seen fanfiction writers who think their continuity-ravaging narrative with a barely-there plot that serves only as a vehicle for the over-the-top sex secene between their two favorite characters is the best thing ever put on paper and crucify anyone who says otherwise.

Yes, that's an exaggeration. But it makes the point.

Sinitar

Minstrel
Ok, so you encountered a bad fanfic. I'm sorry that you read that eye gouging abomination, but that does not mean all fanfics are bad. I encountered people who write equally crappy works and swear you like a pirate if your review is not filled with praise. So, the problem is not with the fanfics; it's the people who write the fanfics.

I don't know. Jordan apparently left extensive outlines and notes and those were followed. If George Lucas hires you to write a Star Wars novel and tell you "here are the characters, the plot outline, and everything that is going to happen, and I want you to follow it" is that Star Wars fanfiction? I don't think it is, personally.

EDIT: And if so, is Empire Strikes Back fanfiction?

Yes. :)

If it's fiction written by fans, even if official canon (which by the way, a lot of the Star Wars books are not official canon or at least are in a "substandard canon"), then I consider it fanfiction.

Here's a thought experiment though to help explain why.

Imagine a writer starts writing a great fanfiction based on their favorite books. They think that it is the best thing since sliced bread and release it on the internet. Then that writer is called up by the original author and the work is acquired and adopted as canon. Is that fanfic or not?

If it is fanfic, then the only thing separating fanfic and not fanfic is the time of the acquisition. If it isn't, then you can keep your opinion I guess.

I still consider it fanfic. But you're saying something commissioned is not fanfic, even if the creator is a fan?

What about the LotR movies? I think we can all agree that they are not like the books at all. Even to the point of writing new scenes. Is that fanfic?

And what about Star Wars episode 7 being created by Disney and not George Lucas?

I just consider it fanfic. I don't really need to convince anyone else that it is fanfic, but if I am successful in convincing you, then it definitely calls to question saying fanfic is bad as a rule.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
What if something is commissioned and the writer who is commissioned actually hates the original work, but writes it anyway for the money. Then is it fanfic?

Also, what about the Empire Strikes Back question. Screenplay by Leigh Brackett.

I think there are so many permutations and exceptions that there's no way to get a solid definition of fanfic unless you draw a bright line somewhere. The easiest and most reasonable place to draw it is on the line between licensed/official works versus non-licensed, non-official works :)

Mindfire

Istar
Yes. :)

If it's fiction written by fans, even if official canon (which by the way, a lot of the Star Wars books are not official canon or at least are in a "substandard canon"), then I consider it fanfiction.

Here's a thought experiment though to help explain why.

Imagine a writer starts writing a great fanfiction based on their favorite books. They think that it is the best thing since sliced bread and release it on the internet. Then that writer is called up by the original author and the work is acquired and adopted as canon. Is that fanfic or not?

If it is fanfic, then the only thing separating fanfic and not fanfic is the time of the acquisition. If it isn't, then you can keep your opinion I guess.

I still consider it fanfic. But you're saying something commissioned is not fanfic, even if the creator is a fan?

What about the LotR movies? I think we can all agree that they are not like the books at all. Even to the point of writing new scenes. Is that fanfic?

And what about Star Wars episode 7 being created by Disney and not George Lucas?

I just consider it fanfic. I don't really need to convince anyone else that it is fanfic, but if I am successful in convincing you, then it definitely calls to question saying fanfic is bad as a rule.

I reject this idea because I think it defines what "fanfic" is far, far too broadly. In my opinion, fanfiction is amateur by definition and mostly nonprofit, which disqualifies your superstar examples from consideration.

EDIT: I mean "amateur" here not to refer to the quality of the work, but rather in the sense of "not professional", which goes hand in hand with the nonprofit part.

Last edited:

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
What if something is commissioned and the writer who is commissioned actually hates the original work, but writes it anyway for the money. Then is it fanfic?

On the other side of this. Does this mean an author being a fan of their own works and worlds and writing stories based on works make those new works fan fiction too. So every sequel I write based on one of my worlds and works is a fan fiction of myself? Or if I'm a fan of my work in progress, does that make my work in progress a fan fiction too, even though it's the only work based on that world?

Ok I think I just hut my brain.

wildink

Dreamer
I think that fanfiction is good one because it allows people to write scenes or endings the way they think they should have gone which can fuel the creative juices as they say but most importantly it helps give writers a place to start if they are just beginning. Especially if they are having trouble coming up with something of their own it gives them a world in which to write in which gives them the experience and practice to better themselves until they are able to come up with something of their own. I started in fanfiction and I have gotten better through it and now feel that I am ready to create something of my own.

I reject this idea because I think it defines what "fanfic" is far, far too broadly. In my opinion, fanfiction is amateur by definition and mostly nonprofit, which disqualifies your superstar examples from consideration.

EDIT: I mean "amateur" here not to refer to the quality of the work, but rather in the sense of "not professional", which goes hand in hand with the nonprofit part.

I don't know, I kinda agree but on the other hand not really.

Like, I don't consider things like Brandon Sanderson writing WoT on commission to be fanfiction, and I absolutely don't consider movie adaptions or developing new material based on established brands to be fanfiction either. Still, I would call those good examples of why fanfiction writing might actually be a good skill to have.

On the other hand, there are published novels out there that I would actually consider "professional fanfiction." Mostly derivative works that are published either with permission or thanks to public domain - stuff like unofficial sequels to classics like Peter Pan or The Phantom of the Opera, a whole bunch of Oz books written after L Frank Baum died, and I'm pretty sure someone once published a Tintin romance novel. (Which sounds extremely weird considering the complete lack of romance in the Tintin comics. But then again, it sounds exactly like the sort of thing a fanfiction writer might come up with.)

Also, what about the Empire Strikes Back question. Screenplay by Leigh Brackett.

I think there are so many permutations and exceptions that there's no way to get a solid definition of fanfic unless you draw a bright line somewhere. The easiest and most reasonable place to draw it is on the line between licensed/official works versus non-licensed, non-official works :)
I just disagree with your line. If someone hates the work but is writing it then I would not designate it as fanfic, but I would have to know that they were not a fan. If I had reason to believe they were a fan (perhaps by lying) then I would designate it a fanfic.

I believe I said "Yes" at the beginning of my post in response to the Empire Strikes Back being fanfic. In fact, I consider it as much a fanfic as I do Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

I think that official versus unofficial or licensed versus unlicensed is different than fanfiction. I just think fanfiction is fiction created by fans.

On the other side of this. Does this mean an author being a fan of their own works and worlds and writing stories based on works make those new works fan fiction too. So every sequel I write based on one of my worlds and works is a fan fiction of myself? Or if I'm a fan of my work in progress, does that make my work in progress a fan fiction too, even though it's the only work based on that world?

Hmm. That's an interesting question. I guess it would depend on the level of narcissism? But I would consider re-imaginings to cross that line into the fan universe.

MadMadys

Troubadour

In my opinion on what I view to be fan-fiction, that wouldn't really qualify. Fan-fiction, to me, is when someone other than the creator takes characters, a world, some plot points, a history and other things already established and makes something on their own. Probably with a new plot or a couple new characters but existing within the rules of the world already set-up. When the creator does anything with their work, they're simply continuing with what is their intellectual property. If I make a really great chair then copy it and make another I can't sue myself for copying... myself.

As to the greater question, of whether fan-fiction is good or bad, I agree with someone earlier who talked about it being a good stepping stone to writing your own material. As I just mentioned, everything that can be a time consuming and tough (characters, setting, etc) is taken care of so you can work on descriptions, plot, and the "little" things. Once you have those down well enough you can move on your own worlds and characters. I know I wrote fan-fiction when I was 11 or 12 (won a district writing contest with one, even /gloat) but it wasn't long before I wanted to do my own thing. When working with someone else's idea became constricting and, personally, a little insulting to my own abilities.

So in that aspect, I don't have any problem with fan-fiction as long as it isn't the writer's end point. They should always be striving for personal freedom in writing.

As to the greater question, of whether fan-fiction is good or bad, I agree with someone earlier who talked about it being a good stepping stone to writing your own material. As I just mentioned, everything that can be a time consuming and tough (characters, setting, etc) is taken care of so you can work on descriptions, plot, and the "little" things. Once you have those down well enough you can move on your own worlds and characters. I know I wrote fan-fiction when I was 11 or 12 (won a district writing contest with one, even /gloat) but it wasn't long before I wanted to do my own thing. When working with someone else's idea became constricting and, personally, a little insulting to my own abilities.

Not to completely disagree with another person on here, but well, the question of what is hard or easy is pretty subjective. Personally, world-building to me is effortless. The hard thing for me is actually getting the story down in the way I want it to be consumed. So in that sense, building my own worlds, characters and even stories is not difficult to me at all. It would be more difficult for me to do fan-fiction than it would for me to do my own work.

Sinitar

Minstrel
Not to completely disagree with another person on here, but well, the question of what is hard or easy is pretty subjective. Personally, world-building to me is effortless. The hard thing for me is actually getting the story down in the way I want it to be consumed. So in that sense, building my own worlds, characters and even stories is not difficult to me at all. It would be more difficult for me to do fan-fiction than it would for me to do my own work.

The same goes for me, so it boils down to preferences. If I want to write fanfiction, I do so because my version of that particular universe looks exciting. I don't intend to publish this work or show it to anybody else for that matter. It's written for my enjoyment only.

Maybe it's me, but I always found fanfiction more challenging than Original Works. Once you create a world with its own culture, races and characters, the ideas are stuck into your head. You know every single detail about the creation process, so it's impossible to misinterpret certain details. Fanfiction, on the other hand, requires a huge amount of research if you want to do it right. I'm not that hardcore, but I've seen fanfic writers that pay attention to every single detail. Such dedication is to be commended, in my opinion.

Maybe it's me, but I always found fanfiction more challenging than Original Works. Once you create a world with its own culture, races and characters, the ideas are stuck into your head. You know every single detail about the creation process, so it's impossible to misinterpret certain details. Fanfiction, on the other hand, requires a huge amount of research if you want to do it right. I'm not that hardcore, but I've seen fanfic writers that pay attention to every single detail. Such dedication is to be commended, in my opinion.

Agreed here. The research and knowledge is built in when we come up with it ourselves. Otherwise it's learning and can be misinterpreted (although I'm a very good guesser).