• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

10 Words That You've Probably Been Misusing

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Good article. Some, I think, are cases for the evolution of language. Although, I found "peruse, nauseous, & enormity" interesting.

Interesting. I was surprised that PERUSE did not mean what i thought it did. I could see most of the others. Thanks for sharing. :)

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Peruse, I think, has maybe been used so much as an overstatement - "I'm just going to peruse the shelves while you two talk" - that it's just how we're used to hearing it. But mostly I think, as T Allen said, it's just the evolution of language. Except for ironic, which is a literary term that should be getting taught in schools.

It's a shame about redundant, though. According to this, the word's basically supposed to mean "purple prose." But who would use it that way now?

Scribble

Archmage
... ironic, which is a literary term that should be getting taught in schools.

Alanis Morrissette untaught in 4:06 whatever might have been taught, had it been taught.

Alanis Morissette - Ironic w/lyrics (HQ sound) - YouTube

This young woman comes to the rescue of the definition however, and fixes what Alanis didn't get from her high school English class.

It's Finally Ironic - YouTube

"The only ironic thing about that song is it's called 'Ironic' and it's written by a woman who doesn't know what irony is. That's quite ironic."

Ed Byrne, Comedian

Alanis Morrissette untaught in 4:06 whatever might have been taught, had it been taught.

Alanis Morissette - Ironic w/lyrics (HQ sound) - YouTube

This young woman comes to the rescue of the definition however, and fixes what Alanis didn't get from her high school English class.

It's Finally Ironic - YouTube
I found the music amusing, although the video got on my nerves rather quickly. I saw a comedian years ago on Comedy Central that had a whole long hilarious rant about Alanis. I can't remember the details though -_-

Thank you Google: www.comedycentral.com/jokes/4441tg/stand-up-sabrina-matthews--sabrina-matthews--schooling-alanis-morissette

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I made that point about the song when it was out, and the person I made it to became angry (she liked the song and felt like I was mocking it).

I wasn't a big fan of Alanis. I didn't buy the personality she was selling. It seemed manufactured (though I know nothing about her personally, so I could be wrong).

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Just as a check, I pulled this from a dictionary.

Enormity-
Noun:
1: the quality of being outrageous
2: vastness of size or extent; "in careful usage the noun enormity is not used to express the idea of great size"; "universities recognized the enormity of their task"
3: the quality of extreme wickedness
4: an act of extreme wickedness

Scribble

Archmage
I made that point about the song when it was out, and the person I made it to became angry (she liked the song and felt like I was mocking it).

I wasn't a big fan of Alanis. I didn't buy the personality she was selling. It seemed manufactured (though I know nothing about her personally, so I could be wrong).

I have found that people don't like it when you point out flaws in the things they love. Still not sure what to do about that :)

Canada is big, but the world is small enough that I actually had her cousin as my boss in my first programming job. Is that ironic? LOL

Just as a check, I pulled this from a dictionary.

Enormity-
Noun:
1: the quality of being outrageous
2: vastness of size or extent; "in careful usage the noun enormity is not used to express the idea of great size"; "universities recognized the enormity of their task"
3: the quality of extreme wickedness
4: an act of extreme wickedness

Yeah, a lot of the words have had their definitions shift so that they mean what people think they mean

Ophiucha

Auror
For some reason, I often use terrific and fantastic in their more literal sense. Inspiring terror. Bizarre and fanciful. People look at me strangely for both, so I think it is safe to say that their old meanings are nearing redundancy. Also, I'm not sure I've ever heard someone use redundant when they meant repetitive, sorry Mr. Vendetti.

Shanatos

Dreamer
Nauseous and redundant are the two major ones that I don't think anyone uses in the old meanings anymore.

Jess A

Archmage
Nauseous and redundant are the two major ones that I don't think anyone uses in the old meanings anymore.

I use redundant correctly.

------

What is with 'conversate'? I've never heard that term. Ever.

Nauseous, however - I've always thought it meant to feel sick. :\