• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Allow me to Introduce myself..

C_OReilly

Scribe
I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the-
Only kidding... (10 points to whoever can tell me which book that's from)

Hello! I'm a young aspiring writer. I've always enjoyed and done well at creative writing and am currently pursuing the Extension 2 English course in my last year of High School, and in doing so am writing a short story as my major work.
I re-took up being an avid reader only about 6 months ago, maybe less. And in this time I have been reading purely fantasy novels. 'A Song of Ice and Fire', 'Lord of The Rings', 'The Wheel of Time', I still have a way to go in finishing all these however but have read a large portion of the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels.
In reading these stories I like to let them influence and inspire my imaginative writing creations. I seem to find reading a better form of research into the art of writing than going through the boredom of reading books where other people tell you how you should be writing, with the exception of texts explaining what judges want to see in exams or whatever.

So yea, at the moment I'm doing a lot of writing and generating ideas for my short story, which so far I am liking quite a bit and am going the extra mile and adding a lot of back story so I can keep writing and make a proper novel out of it maybe. Sometimes I think it may be easier having to do that... Condensing a fantasy story to 8,000 words to me would be no easy task.
Anyhow, I am eager to put up my ideas and seek out feedback and advice from members of this forum as I complete my major work!

Welcome. I have already commented on your dialogue excerpt, but welcome to the clan. Watch out for that girl in the corner, no not that one, the other one. She's not really a she.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Sparkie

Auror
Welcome. It's good that you're reading the genre. It can only help your writing.

Well, not only help. If you try to imitate too much then I suppose it doesn't help, but you get the picture, right?

Sparkie said:
Welcome. It's good that you're reading the genre. It can only help your writing.

Well, not only help. If you try to imitate too much then I suppose it doesn't help, but you get the picture, right?

I can't remember where I read it, but pretty much learning any skill often starts with copying, then imitation, until the person practicing gets good enough to be original. I know I went through it and learned a lot.

Keep at it, we're a good group, even if I do say so myself.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

fleamailman

Closed Account
("...well, I don't know much about writing myself..." started the goblin, quickly adding "...I mean I could never write as well as you humans do, not that that has ever stopped me now, I mean it's not because it's perfect that it's pulling, it's that it's pulling that it's perfect...", in fact, the goblin couldn't quite make up his mind if the moon was just winking or actually just smiling down tonight within its somehow clear yet apparently starless sky, perhaps the dark of night was yet to come and would settle things later, as the goblin turned his attention back to the slot, saying "...so welcome to here then human if I may be so bold as to call you one, where here is yet another forum on forumland and where forumland like that night's sky too, endless even, so you want to be a writer, but my bet is that you are thinking solely in terms of publications, but ask yourself then where is the real growth in readership now, where that is do the number of new readers increase by the hour now, yes, you're looking at it, but making a name for yourself on forumland means a certain adaptation towards your posts doesn't it...", and with that the goblin wondered if one really could beckon readers towards one's pen solely by having a traceable username, a memorable persona and a steady trickle of content, mind you the goblin also wondered too, if humans would actually read this far, and who knows too, perhaps there is something wrong with them if they had)

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
Welcome to Mythic Scribes! I'm willing to bet that you'll find that there are many helpful people here who are willing to help you be successful in all aspects of your writing. I look forward to seeing your contributions to this amazing site!