• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Authors Make Fools of Themselves Over LendInk.com

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
...because that's what the law currently states? I mean if you want to argue that it should be legal for landlords to discriminate based on religion, race, or gender, go right ahead... but good luck with that, as I don't think there are any states left in the Union that allow that sort of thing, nor very many people left who think it should be legal to do so.

There's plenty of people who think government should stay out of it. If, for example, a Mexican restaurant wanted to do Mexican-only Friday nights to celebrate their heritage and feel at home, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Of course, that's not remotely the full story of what would happen were the anti-discrimination laws lifted, and I don't mean to advocate anything. But for most issues there are valid reasons to take either side, and there's a lot of people who can express them if you get them to open up.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Federal law prevents businesses from doing this sort of thing. There is nothing Unconstitutional about them doing it. In theory, a private business should be able to restrict its services in any way it sees fit, just like as a private individual you can limit who you have in your home for any reason you see fit. In practice, the laws were meant to remedy a history of institutionalized oppression. Given that purpose, I think one that argue that if we ever reach a point where the threat of that kind of institutional oppression has receded sufficiently, businesses should again be allow to serve whoever they wish for whatever reasons they wish.

Lawfire

Sage
...because that's what the law currently states? I mean if you want to argue that it should be legal for landlords to discriminate based on religion, race, or gender, go right ahead... but good luck with that,

Yeah, private property rights have been trampled on. Also, I am not advocating discrimination.

Why are you twisting what I said? I NEVER "argued that it should be legal for landlords to discriminate." I did recognize that some property rights have been trampled upon, but did not expound on that statement due to the ban on discussing modern politics.

Why are you twisting what I said? I NEVER "argued that it should be legal for landlords to discriminate." I did recognize that some property rights have been trampled upon, but did not expound on that statement due to the ban on discussing modern politics.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were arguing such; it was just that your question about the BBQ strongly implied that you disagreed with the state of anti-discrimination law.

Whatever, this is way off topic and too political, so we should probably can it. :)

Lawfire

Sage
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were arguing such; it was just that your question about the BBQ strongly implied that you disagreed with the state of anti-discrimination law.

Whatever, this is way off topic and too political, so we should probably can it. :)

I am glad it was a misunderstanding, and yes, it has become too political. It's all good.

ALB2012

Maester
I saw some of the posts about this on the KDP amazon forums. People shouting that this was a pirate site. I think there were a few threads which got heated. I didnt look at the site, I have no idea if my book was available or not.
I object to actual pirate sites but a lending site is fine. I am in the Amazon select and US customers can borrow my book ( or anyone elses) for a couple weeks. I believe a purchaser can a lend a book once to someone. (I didn't know this at first.) It doesnt bother me, it is still publicity and someone may later buy my book or my second when it is due out or not. Libraries are fine, no one complains on those. I have no problem if someone wants to borrow my book.

I do think people jumped before they looked however but really those people shouldnt be getting threats- that says a lot really. One group of zealots flaming another.

I would be pissed off if someone pirated my book, or I thought they had but I wouldnt threaten them. I found a link to my book on a strange website the other day and initially was wary but on further investigation it took me to the amazon store. Some investigation is usually advisable.

I hope the website manages to get back up.

ALB2012

Maester
Goes to show that you should know what you are doing, and what you are talking about, if you're going to use social media. These authors are now getting hammered in return, and apparently some have even received threats, which is so far beyond the pale it isn't even funny.

Authors, companies, and individuals generally need to understand how fast things can spiral out of control on social media and act wisely.

Legit Ebook Lending Site Taken Down By An Angry Twitmob of Writers | Techdirt

I hadnt read much, thank for the interesting link