1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Be Honest: Why are you Really Not Published Yet?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Philip Overby, May 8, 2012.

1. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

Thanks for bringing back this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  2. JonSnow

JonSnow Troubadour

1. Its been 15 years and after dozens of re-writes, wholesale changes, and start-overs, its still not finished. Until it's finished, none of the other reasons matter.

Rkcapps likes this.
  3. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Sage

I hear you, Jon Snow!

4. kinslayeur

kinslayeur Scribe

I finished the first book and feel very fortunate as this is my first attempt at writing fantasy. I've written military fiction prior and a friend suggested I submit it to a very specific publisher. Doing some research I did and I am now looking at a contract. I have yet to sign it until my attorney is able to look it over, but if all goes well, I will have a publisher for my fantasy series. Thankful and know the struggle is real. My military fiction series I never found a publisher for. I spent 2 years looking and sent out over 70 queries and received 67 rejections, 3 no responses. But, I never gave up. I ended up self-publishing the first two in my series.

Chin up and keep working on it. You can do it!

Russ likes this.
  5. Antaus

Antaus Minstrel

Why am I not published? Probably because I've never taken any professional writing classes.

6. Ronald T.

Ronald T. Troubadour

Hollo. A. E. Lowan. When you say we, who is the other person (or persons involved? Just wondering.

7. Ronald T.

Ronald T. Troubadour

As I said, giving up wasn't an option. So I did my home work: I studied, I listened to beta readers, I edited again and again, and I refined the work to my utmost capacity. And although I gave up on traditional publishing along time ago, I now have two e-books published on Amazon, and number three is in the final editing stages. I did my best with the knowledge and ability I had at the time, and I think I did a fairly good job. But that's for others to decide. I only hope my writing skill continues to improve with hard work and experience. If my determination to increase my skill level has any effect on my talent, it will grow with each book I write. Experience helps, but an endless, focused desire to improve is an absolute necessity in gaining the skill required to make each book even more powerful and exciting. So I'll continue to learn as I write, and hope my efforts show in the final works.

If you are interested, my epic-fantasy series is called "The Blood-Rune Saga".

Book one is, THE UNNAMED RUNE.
    The Unnamed Rune: Fate stained him with the mark of doom...Destiny endowed him with the power to prevail (The Blood-Rune Saga Book 1) - Kindle edition by Ronald Taylor Smith. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.)

Book two is, A DIRE ONUS.
    A Dire Onus: Fate stained him with the mark of doom...Destiny endowed him with the power to prevail (The Blood-Rune Saga Book 2) - Kindle edition by Ronald Taylor Smith. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Also, you can search here, at the UK link.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dpB06XZBCMKV/?tag=brite-21

And coming soon, book three will be called, A SECRECY OF ASSASSINS.

As always, all my best to you and yours.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Malik likes this.
  8. Aurora

Aurora Sage

Getting published is a big deal to me, one of my biggest dreams. Right now I'm still working on improving my prose and such. Hopefully these forums will help in that as I'd like to get better. One day, i'll go for it.

9. ArbridanianQueen

ArbridanianQueen New Member

I'm not published yet because I'm still in edits. Thanks to a hard drive crash (and subsequent broken heart over having lost everything), I only started trying to write my world over again about five years ago. Add in trying to write other stories, college life, job hunts, a bout of depression (including meds that made my creativity go in the toilet) and various family health crap, it's taken me that long to get to the 3rd draft. Thankfully I think it's almost ready for beta readers, and I'm hoping to query by the end of the year.

10. Zephon

Zephon Scribe

I still can't get my ideas on paper. This is laziness and lack of practice. I think many people like the idea of being a writer, but they hate being a writer.

When I was younger, I thought I loved writing. Looking back though, I don't think I actually did, I just liked having a story that I created- the actual writing part was not that fun. I'm just trying to learn and garner the discipline to write.