• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book to screenplay?

ndmellen

Minstrel
I recently had an editor/ actor/ proofreader/ writer (and yadah, yadah, what ever else he calls himself) go over my manuscript. I expected harsh and disdainful criticism (simply because he takes himself VERY seriously), but to my surprise the first thing out of his mouth was "Wow; this was pretty badass. You need to adapt it to a screenplay."...and then he offered first rights.

While I probably wouldn't let him do anything with "my baby", it got me wondering...

How the hell do I write a screen play?

Although I've seen every episode of Entourage, I don't have a single clue of how to attempt such a thing (even if I really wanted too, which I don't know yet.)

Ideas?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Depends on what you mean by "How to". First, not an expert, but standard Hollywood screen-plays have a certain story structure and a certain certain length. Second, there is a specific format for the text. For the story structure, I'd suggest reading a screen writing book called Save the Cat. As for the text structure, you can google it up. There are lots of resources to be found.

Addison

Auror
For converting a book/novel into a screenplay can be painful because you need to re-type it to make the movie a respectable length. Writing a screen play is a lot like writing a stage play, only in a screen play you're adding camera shots and angles. Close up, portrait, cowboy shot, pan in/out etc.

So to pic a story at random.......Adventurers Wanted (if you haven't read it, by M.L Forman, I highly recommend it) in one scene he does his first spell (he lights the camp fire) with the dwarf companion at his side. I don't have th ebook with me right now but this is what, or how, I would write the scene as a screenplay:

{Close up of Alex, he stares into bottom right corner intently. Switch to cold fire as a high growing note builds in background, a few leaves sift around the kindling.}
Alex: Inferno.
{Mid-shot of fire as the kindling inflames and sends a ball of fire toward camera. Switch to camera behind Alex and Dwarf as they fall off the log as fire races to the sky. Looking down at them, faces soot covered and Dwarf's beard smoldering.}
Dwarf: {Laughing heartily, he pats Alex's arm} Told y' you could do it.
Alex: {Nods, still stunned as he picks himself up.}
{Pan out to see them climb back onto the log and warm up next to the fire.}
Dwarf: Just need to control how much power you put into the spells.

With a screen play you're giving stage direction, stage left to stage center right etc. But the details and what you rwrite between the dialogue can be just as descriptive and full of voice as a novel narrative. You just need to make sure you add camera directions and stuff.

Actually, screenplays aren't necessarily full of camera shots.

This is often tied to the difference between a spec script (written by someone outside the studio) or an early draft, and a shooting script (that starts to capture these details). But basically, camera details are the director's job, and unless you've already got a director and worked them out with him (or you're directing it yourself, which you can't assume unless you've already got the money), it's presumptuous to pick these now.

I think of it as analogous to the story that John Wayne threw out any script that wrote out for him "I'm goin' to--" because that dialog was also a writer trying to do someone else's job.

This is not to say that you don't need to use full screenplay format, or that once and a while you may not have to suggest a shot to make clear that there are visual ways to make the story strong and clear. But when you learn that format, be sure you know just how detailed you're supposed to get at which stage.