• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can a writer publish a book written in English in a non-English speaking country?

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I'm not sure I understand your question. There are a lot of writers who English is not their primary language.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm also a little confused. Is the question whether you can write a book in English and sell it in your home country?

Many people write in English who didn't speak it as a child. The language hurdles can be overcome. But questions about distribution in non-English speaking countries, and translations, are a little hard to answer.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Judging from the currencies that Amazon reports to us, our English-language urban fantasy has been purchased in several other countries where English is not the primary language. Is that what you're asking about?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
We discussed this in the chat the other day. My memory is a bit hazy, but as far as I understood it at the time the question was: "Am I allowed to write/publish a book in English even if I'm not a native English speaker?"

I could be wrong though.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We discussed this in the chat the other day. My memory is a bit hazy, but as far as I understood it at the time the question was: "Am I allowed to write/publish a book in English even if I'm not a native English speaker?"

I could be wrong though.
Ah! Steerpike can probably speak with more authority on this than I can, but I believe the answer is yes, you are certainly allowed to publish a book in English as a non-native-English speaker. There are many books like that on the market.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
English is not my primary language, is there any publishing rule against publishing a book written in English?

If English is not your primary language that should not prevent you from publishing in your own language. Just make sure you get someone who is either a translator or who teaches English as a second language to proofread the book to make sure that it's been done right. My observation of many people who write English when it's not their first language is they sometimes make certain grammatical errors that crop up time and time again and they sometimes confuse colloquial English with formal (or as the British would say the Queen's) English.

Shreeder4092

There isn't any rules against it to my knowledge, but I would recommend writing your book in your primary language first and then writing it in English.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
As somebody who reads a great deal, I can attest that there are no few English language (digital) books written by people for whom English is at best a second language.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't understand what the perceived problem is. Legality? There's no issue there. Skill with the language? I've read books by native speakers whose skill is questionable. Of course, that may impact how well the book does...