• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character Names -- When and How

Scribble

Archmage
I think this is an influence of television and movies. We are getting very used to thinking in terms of cinematics rather than story-telling. The only time you find out the character's name in television is when someone addresses the character, or you see their name tag... Described video for the visually impaired is probably closer to how written fiction should roll.

Some famously excellent opening lines of novels that name the characters: (feel free to name the novels!)

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.

Elmer Gantry was drunk.

Miss Brooke had that kind of beauty which seems to be thrown into relief by poor dress.

“To be born again,” sang Gibreel Farishta tumbling from the heavens, “first you have to die.”

Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything truly wrong, he was arrested.

Scarlett O’Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.

The Man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.
(Arguably, 'Gunslinger' is the character's name)

Last edited:

Scribble

Archmage
Good point about short names characters. Long names become tedious to read. Fantasy is well known for the trope of long and difficult-to-pronounce names.

I once dated a Uruguayan girl who had 11 names. I can remember them all though it was 25 years ago. That is an exception. I had an inspiration to remember them all, but in a book, I am significantly less motivated.

Choosing the right name is very important. It has to resonate with the "character" of the character, it must fit the world, and the culture.

Mighty-name-destiny is another transparent trope. Farmers do not give their children "mighty" names. They might name their son or daughter Lem or Mira, and rarely name them Shondazar or Kurrgana, even if they have their old weapons buried in the barn. Old warriors become farmers so that their children don't become butchers of monsters, but rather butchers of poultry.

I wanted to say something about honorifics, another name element common to fantasy stories.

He was Shondazar, Star of the Seven Heavens, Knight-Seneschal of the High Lord of the Wuffuzi, Shield-Bearer of the Goddess Inshalla, Lord of Khon-fuzu, Abbot of Kiriel-Fazi land of the Light Undying, and Duke of Buroona, land of the Shining Leaves of Arnn.

(This example is purposefully camp for entertainment value)

What was his name? Too much! Letting them stand by themselves in a solemn fashion to prop up a character can be appropriate to a given story, but you don't want to burden the reader with a feeling like you want them to remember them all.

You can use honorifics for character building purposes.

He was Shondazar jin Kurrgan ab Saedican, Star of the Seven Heavens, Knight-Seneschal of the High Lord of the Wuffuzi, Shield-Bearer of the Goddess Inshalla, Lord of Khon-fuzu, Abbot of Kiriel-Fazi land of the Light Undying, and Duke of Buroona, land of the Shining Leaves of Arnn. For all these high and celebrated honorifics, not one stirred him with pride. Once, his pride had swelled under these, his name spread as the great wings of the fabled roc of Zhavaroon, whose tail feathers now adorned his palace at Zhed. Now, they hung heavy upon his shoulders, a leaden mantle of duty. Once, he had been known simply as Shondazar the Wanderer. That was a time of freedom. That was a time when he had believed in the empire, but that was a long time ago.

It's off the cuff, but I think it conveys a way to use a ridiculously long name and set of honorifics for a purpose other than solemnity. Honorifics are given to celebrate but mostly to bind service and responsibility.

They can be quite fun, I quite like it when the character comes to resent them. Here, I use an honorific to do a bit of world-building, and to establish that this character Korian is a dangerous dude.

The soldiers jostled against the shouting mass of people jammed into the port, striving to make a path for Korian. There was little need. One look upon his grim face and they shrank back from him, though they called his name.
"Korian!" they shouted. "Korian, the Butcher of Khadeem!"
He hated the title. Each time they called it to him, Korian saw the sorrowful faces of the dead, staring up at him in regret. A man should not hate his name, he thought. His scowl grew taught across his face. The peasants, merchants, and soldiers all gave him distance, a distance almost tangible, a weave of love, honor, and fear.

Last edited:

Scribble

Archmage
I knew those evil creatures should have a purpose in this world.

Is Roland isn't? From the Dark Tower by Stephen King. (Unless I misunderstood your emphasis on is.)

Yes, Roland! I could not remember. It was a question :)

If you say "Gunslinger" though, you know who the character is. That was a great story. One of the few King books I actually enjoyed immensely, not that I have tried them all.