• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Characters limit for new posts

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Oops, accidentally used words instead of characters, but I still think the point remains. At least, I wouldn't make the character limit larger.

I do think story trading is a good idea. Perhaps users could have a showcase within their profile, where they upload their work in whole. Then use the showcase forums for specific critique.

I know some people look for certain things they might be working on in their writing, but if people are picky about the critique they get, then that limits the people who will even bother.

Well, I was thinking that the writer posts scenes that really showcase what aspect of writing they want work on. That doesn't mean that responses that cover other areas still won't be helpful. There wouldn't have to be any strict rules about exactly what sort of critique is given, just a line in the original post about what the user is trying to address.

Leuco

Troubadour
Personally, I'd like to keep the showcase just the way it is. Here's why:

1) I don't think breaking the showcase into subgroups is necessary.

I like the variety of stories. I like that I can read without feeling like I should look for errors. It's supposed to be a showcase, not an editing room. I genuinely want to read what other writers are writing about. If, while I'm reading it, I come across something I'd like to suggest, then I'll bring it up to help. Other than that, I just want to read something that's hopefully interesting.

Also, because there are so many more users now, I think there is a greater chance for folks to get a good variety of response for their work. And if they want help with something specific like plot, they could easily just ask for it.

2) I don't want to see a grammar and punctuation subgroup.

If someone really wants grammar help, then that person should stay out of the showcase. If you're going to show off work in the showcase, bring something that's been checked. If a writer needs help with grammar, they could easily arrange for someone to edit their work through private messages and email. I've seen other fantasy writing sites that have folks who do just grammar checks and it HURTS so much just looking at the posts. I stopped reading their showcase threads because this one guy was constantly quoting grammar mistakes. I think most writers here have the dignity to check basic punctuation before they post their work. In fact, I think that's one of the guidelines here, isn't it? Personally, if I review in the showcase, I hardly bother with grammar. That's something a proofreader, or even a computer can do. We're writers. We can do better than that.

3) There are guidelines for posting in the showcase.

We don't need to necessarily regulate, but we can make it clear in the guidelines (if it isn't already) which behaviors are frowned upon. I think most folks have been good about following them. I do agree that a limit would help, but I think most people learn that too much text means too much work for a helpful reviewer. Eventually, the writer will catch on as to why they only received one or two responses, if any at all.

I think most folks here think the showcase works just fine. After all, it is one of the most active forums. There is a reason why our numbers keep growing. People really like it here. I say let's not change too much. :)

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I think most folks here think the showcase works just fine. After all, it is one of the most active forums. There is a reason why our numbers keep growing. People really like it here. I say let's not change too much.

As I mentioned before, most of that activity is from the original posters of each thread, which isn't my idea of 'active'. Yes there are guidelines, just as there are guidelines to writing in general, like leaving an indent or a space between paragraphs, but people often don't do that.

However, I agree that splitting it up isn't the answer. I don't see the point when a user can just ask for what they want.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I've changed my stance on requesting critique on a specific area. Responses would be fairly restricted, and it'd be much more useful for the writer to get any or all types of feedback. I still think that there is some focus needed to encourage a higher level of participation, but I think that could be resolved by post length.

Actually, I think it depends on what we perceive the function of the showcase as. I always considered it a place for in depth critique, but perhaps others just want to show people their work (with the option for comments). It could warrant separate forums, though both of them would take drop in activity (and one lively forum is better than several almost-dead ones). Tricky one.

If people aren't nice enough to format it so it is easy to read online...I don't. Time is valuable to us all, and if you can't add an extra return between paragraphs so it is easy to read, then why would someone do so?

I still say if you are looking for someone to read your writing, you should do that for others first.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
@LordDarkstorm: I agree, but that would be hard to enforce, and may encourage weak criticism.

On the subject of formatting, not only am I put off from giving feedback on a piece that isn't formatted (or proof-read), but when I notice that the showcase has a high number of these threads, it puts me off from giving critique altogether - to anything - because it's not worth it.

By the way, I hope I'm not offending anyone. I don't mean that the work is bad, but I think people can easily forget that other people need to be motivated to critique someone else's writing.

I am of the wall-to-wall-text-scares-me crowd.

On the other hand, a lot of folks here are of the novel-writing crowd, and how can one make an honest critique of a chapter if they can't read it? Four or five paragraphs isn't really enough.

Another point: If one posts a scene from, say, a crime novel, everyone here can fill in a lot of the blanks and be able to understand that one scene. But this place is about fantasy writing. How can one get an honest critique of a fantasy piece if one doesn't have enough background to put it in context?

But I think this is a message board, not a publishing house. If someone wants a critique on their entire novel, there are places where they can post that. (Is there any option to have a file submission system somewhere in the greater mythicscribes.com world?) Excerpts here seem pretty much just fine to me.

I think people should state what kind of review they want when they're submitting a piece for review.

I have to agree with you here... One can not get a full picture without the background information.

As for punctuation no one posts final drafts of anything on public boards so I don't really see it as too much of an issue.
That could just be because my punctuation is in a word horrid... ;) I do try honestly I do. But Grammar check only does so much :( Sorry, at least I warn people before they start reading! :)

Over all I love this place, I get to kick around ideas with others and sometimes post something that I am having issues with or would like to get a little direction on. All without the ultra militant "This story goes in this section or else!" BS that so many other places are found of.

:eek:

Perhaps we should develop a code system title, followed by the codes
G: Grammar CD: Character dev etc...
So long as the codes are posted as a sticky that might help.
I think that could help those who are feeling a little frustrated find what fits their mood/style/interest.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
As for punctuation no one posts final drafts of anything on public boards so I don't really see it as too much of an issue.

That's not really the point, I don't think. I'm not saying I expect people to post a fully edited final-draft, it would just be polite to check for simple spelling and grammar errors before asking other people to read it. I really want to participate in the showcase more, I really do, but walls-of-text, obvious errors, and lack of 'neat' formatting puts me off.

Amanita

Maester
I've always seen the Showcase as a place to show bits of our work and allow the others to understand what we were talking about in our posts. ;) I never saw it as a place to get thorough editing, especially not on language matters. This wouldn't make much sense in my own case anyway because the actual story is being written in German and what I post here can only be translations of parts of it.
Realising how you want to see the Showcase used, I've decided that posting something like that doesn't make much sense and I won't do so anymore. (There's only one bit from me around anyway.) I also apologise for posting anything not up to your expected standards.
In general, I'm also interested in story excerpts long enough to learn something about the other person's story, therefore the "wall of text" is no problem for me at all. This might be because I'm used to reading fanfiction on the screen which often consisted of multi-chaptered stories.
I do have trouble with the fact that some people post excerpts obviously taken right from the middle of their story, throw around lot's of unfamiliar names and concepts, and I as the reader don't understand anything at all.