1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Cool Fantasy Art

Discussion in 'Fantasy Art' started by Philip Overby, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

Curious about some good fantasy artists out there. I've always loved Frank Frazetta, who did the classic Conan and Death-Dealer art. I'm also a fan of Larry Elmore's old Dragonlance art (the fans of Elmore know what I'm talking about) and Brom's Dark Sun art. I'm also a fan of H.R. Giger, who does awesome sci-fi/horror art (probably best known for designing the aliens from "Alien"). Also Junji Ito who does some pretty amazing horror manga such as "Gyo" and "Izumaki." Creepy, weird stuff.

So if anyone has any recommendations, I'm interested in any direction you could give me. Sometimes I just want cool stuff to look at, which sometimes helps with inspiration. I'm open to anything really. Thanks!

2. Leuco

Leuco Troubadour

I've got some Larry Elmore prints in my home office. I think his covers are what inspired me to start reading those old TSR books.

3. julienlegault

julienlegault Scribe

I found a new favourite blog about 2 months ago. It's called "Women Fighters in Reasonable Armour" and features beautiful works from the fantasy vein, but without chain-mail bikinis. Some of the artists and work is remarkable, and it really helps to inspire me from time to time. It at least keeps my head in a fantasy-themed space.

Pat Harris likes this.
  4. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

My friend Peter Mullen is a first-rate fantasy artist. Lately he's been working on cover art for RPG projects. You can find some of his work here:

[The Cave: Art Gallery]

5. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

A guy I'm a fan of is Eric de Mander. I found him through a Wheel of Time fan art. The piece labeled Five is currently my Desktop background.

6. Shadoe

Shadoe Sage

Larry Elmore is a fantastic artist - and a heck of a nice guy. I had a couple dozen prints of his during my first marriage. Had to pick one up every time we saw him. I like:

Michael Whelan, who is amazing
    Carl Lundgren
    Chris Achilleos
    H. R. Giger
    BorisVallejo and Julie Bell (because how can you think of them as separate people?)
    Luis Royo
    Rowena Morrill
    Keith Parkinson
    William Li

7. Jabrosky

Jabrosky Banned

I have a friend on DeviantArt who is perhaps my favorite artist on there. Her page can be accessed here. She mostly does fantasy characters, especially those with an African cultural background, but sometimes she does wild animals as well.

8. Lawfire

Lawfire Sage

I have always liked, Jeff Easley. Elmore's work is better, but Easley has some very nice stuff.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

When it comes to RPG-related art, Matt Wilson is one of the best out there:

MattWilsonArt.com

10. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

When I first started my project I stumbled upon Kerem Beyit. I asked him how much he charges for character drawings......$6,000. Anyway, his art is amazing. Check out his deviantART site.

11. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Fantasy Street Fighter

[​IMG]
    by GENZOMAN

Be sure to click the artist's DA name so you can check out his other fantasy art. This guy is good!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    Reaver likes this.
  12. Chime85

Chime85 Sage

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the site did not say who it was by

x

13. Taro

Taro Minstrel

kinda cool for mermaids lol :)

14. cris2507

cris2507 Dreamer

15. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

My favorite artist Ironshod on Deviantart
    or Anne Stokes in the real world.
    Ironshod on deviantART

http://www.annestokes.com/

Interesting,
    Just found out she authorizes any tattoo artists to so her work.
    I have been thinking about getting a tattoo but couldn't find something I'd want
    on my body for the rest of my life.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  16. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

You made me like her.

17. Wanara009

Wanara009 Troubadour

[​IMG]

Something I find when I did my routine "Gatotkaca" search on deviantart. Its a Fanart of Gatotkaca as drawn by Is Yuniarto, an Indonesian comic artist

18. Ghost

Ghost Inkling

Doing a search by image on Google reveals one Annie Leibovitz. She did a series called Disney Dream Portraits.

19. MereIllusion

MereIllusion Dreamer

One of my favorite fantasy artists is a Russian deviantart user whose name I don't know, but goes by the username SnowSkadi: SnowSkadi on deviantART
    Their fantasy landscapes are nice writing inspiration. :)

20. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror