• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Darth Vader to return in next Star Wars film?

Then how do bounty hunters get reputations as "Jedi-killers" exactly?

Bad writing, probably. ;)

But I was talking about a single one-on-one duel, since that's what you proposed ("I suspect that your average Shaolin monk would eat Obi-Wan for breakfast if you gave him a lightsaber."). A bounty hunter could still muster enough firepower to overwhelm a Jedi, with enough planning. A lightsaber can stop blaster bolts, even from heavy (portable) weapons, but ship-mounted weapons would still bleed around the lightsaber and kill the Jedi. Or drop bombs on the Jedi from the air. Or the bounty hunter could set up explosives in a trap and lure the Jedi into it. Or destroy a spaceship the Jedi is on. Or just get enough guys together shooting the Jedi at the same time to overwhelm them (Order 66 demonstrates this when several of the Jedi are simply overwhelmed by being shot at by a dozen clones at once).

Jess A

Archmage
Debate aside, I've never seen the cartoon before - thanks for posting. Some Youtube entertainment.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Lucas took a giant shit on the Star Wars franchise by allowing Episodes I, II & III to see the light of day just so he could make a little money, so why wouldn't the Disney juggernaut do something as perverse?
Reaver, I just gave you 17 reputation points for this comment.

As for VII, until I find out the real subtitle, I'm calling it:

Episode VII: A Renewed Hope

I'll out myself as a skeptic later. The Star Wars geek in me that I'd given up for dead needs time to process this, as this thread is the first I've heard of them finally making sequels, which is a hope I'd long forgotten since I read a novel about Han's and Leia's kids (which I've long forgotten the name of. I mean the novel, but I also forgot their kids' names).

Oh... and speaking of Star Wars, Disney and Number 7:
disney_bought_lucas_film_by_aniforce-d5jn2b2.jpg
by DeviantArtist "Aniforce"

I mean, "and speaking of Vader being resurrected..."

Yeah, that's what I should've said.​

Reaver

Staff
Reaver, I just gave you 17 reputation points for this comment.

Thanks!!!

I mean, "and speaking of Vader being resurrected..."

Yeah, that's what I should've said.

This is what we have to look forward to from Disney: a shining example of them taking a HUGE shit on the Star Wars universe every day, three times a day, with fireworks just before closing.

Renewed hope? Yeah, right. All Star Wars is to them is a cash cow. I weep for the future of Star Wars films.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mindfire

Istar
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with entertaining children. Lighten up. lol

Okay, I'm just trolling now. But really, it's only cheesy. It's not horrible. At least it's humorously self-aware (unlike a certain Holiday Special). It might be annoying, but it's not Batman and Robin.

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
Now I know the REAL reason why the prequels sucked so bad. I stand corrected. I love you, George.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
it's not Batman and Robin.
I still remember a scene in which Arnold is on the phone, and actually looks bored. Maybe that was the day he found out his maid's white blonde kid was his? I also got a kick out of Dr. Freeze and Poison Ivy sharing a prison cell, and Dr. Freeze is talking tough to his cell mate who, according to the movie, just needs to kiss him in his sleep to kill him.

So, yeah, I'll admit there are worse movies. But Star Wars IV-VI are very memorable classics, and I-III just went from "wow, finally" to "I hate this; damn you to hell, Lucas" to... well, I was gonna say obscurity, but it's really more like something people make fun of every now and then while other people defend it half-heartedly. I'm sure many of the people who talk about I-III have only seen those movies once or twice, and most don't own the movies.

No matter how bad or "not that bad" it is, the prequel trilogy isn't even close to its predecessor before it was bastardized with the decade(s)-later editing.

Reaver's telling what will likely turn out to be the truth that we'd all prefer to deny. I'll probably see VII anyway, but on Red Box... depending on what I hear from my brother, who will definitely see it anyway.

Well they don't have to be godlike. But there's this overarching sense that Jedi are supposed to be special. People all over the galaxy fear them. When they walk into a room, people take notice. As it is, that reputation seems largely... unearned. What exactly makes them so indispensable if not their powers? What makes them so intimidating? I can't seem to find an answer.

They are very dangerous, at least the better ones. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (and later Obi-Wan and Anakin) plow through entire battalions of battle droids. It took whole squads of Clone Troopers to kill individual jedi and even then only by taking them by surprise. When Yoda and Obi-Wan knew what they were dealing with, the clones proved exactly as useful as the droids. Or if you want to talk OT, Luke massacred all of Yabba's thugs more or less by himself.

In the real world, that would roughly be equivalent of one guy with a sword taking down a whole SWAT team alone, with next to no injuries to show for it. That's blatant superhero type stuff.

But that aside, they were never even supposed to be fearsome warriors. Quite the contrary, they are a religious order created to safeguard peace and justice, and the whole reason they were respected was because they relied on the Force to give them wisdom and guidance.

That's the whole tragedy of the Clone Wars right there: it was basically the Jedi failing to do their job, and having to take responsibility for that.

I thought you had to have the force just to activate lightsabers?

Not at all; that's exactly the kind of mystical mumbo jumbo EU gets way too much of. Lightsabers are just machines that produce intense energy beams. They're not magical.

Nope. Han uses Luke's in ESB to cut open the tauntaun. (It's been thoroughly established that Han is not Force-sensitive.)

Exactly. I frankly don't get where that idea even came from.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with entertaining children. Lighten up. lol

I've been saying that for over a decade now.

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
They are very dangerous, at least the better ones. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (and later Obi-Wan and Anakin) plow through entire battalions of battle droids.

But battle droids suck. They're a bigger military joke than the original stormtroopers. The one gripe I'll forever have with the prequels is that the Battle Droids are never threatening. They don't look like robotic soldiers. They look like cheap plastic toys a 5 year old could knock over. The only way they can be remotely dangerous is in gigantic swarms. The clone troopers are better, but they really only shine in the Clone Wars (2D) series. Those ARC Troopers could give the Spartan-IIIs from Halo a run for their money.

Part of the problem is that many of the Jedi vs thugs/droids/troopers fights don't make the Jedi look awesome, they just make the minions they're fighting look stupid and ineffective. The stormtroopers are now infamous for their marksmanship, or lack thereof.

Phietadix

Auror
So, yeah, I'll admit there are worse movies. But Star Wars IV-VI are very memorable classics, and I-III just went from "wow, finally" to "I hate this; damn you to hell, Lucas" to... well, I was gonna say obscurity, but it's really more like something people make fun of every now and then while other people defend it half-heartedly. I'm sure many of the people who talk about I-III have only seen those movies once or twice, and most don't own the movies.\

I own all six movies, have probably seen each a few dozen times and still like 1-3 and Episode 2 is my favorite of the 6

And mindfire the battle droids might look weak but to unarmed civialns (like those on Naboo) those will be very dangerous, they are also very easy to mass-produce

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
I own all six movies, have probably seen each a few dozen times and still like 1-3 and Episode 2 is my favorite of the 6

And mindfire the battle droids might look weak but to unarmed civialns (like those on Naboo) those will be very dangerous, they are also very easy to mass-produce

I'll have to part ways with you there, especially with regard to Episode 2. It's my least favorite of the films.

But Star Wars IV-VI are very memorable classics, and I-III just went from "wow, finally" to "I hate this; damn you to hell, Lucas" to... well, I was gonna say obscurity, but it's really more like something people make fun of every now and then while other people defend it half-heartedly.

To me, Star Wars is IV-VI, and everything after that is fanfiction. Sometimes good fanfic (the Zahn trilogy, Genndy Tartovsky slumming to make a good Clone Wars series), but it's always been just an attempt to recapture something that came and went.

(And, activating lightsabers doesn't need the Force, using a lightsaber well enough to block blaster fire needs the Force-- although ducking twenty bolts, of course...)

Reaver

Staff
The Star Wars prequels were made almost exclusively for a generation raised on video games with more than 64-Bit graphics and CGI. No matter how much people in their 20's want to argue, there's absolutely nothing paradigm-shifting about those movies. Episodes IV through VI, however, continued to push the envelope on how films were written, filmed and produced. It spawned an entire generation of filmmakers, computer programmers, artists and actors who wanted to make movies like those.

Now that Disney owns the rights to everything Star Wars, it's very hard to be optimistic that they'll respect the legacy that Episodes IV,V and VI created in our world culture. If there ever is an Episode VII, I'll probably go see it with the same hope that I had when I went to go see Episode I.

And as I sit there in that hushed, darkened theater, just as that iconic opening scene begins, I'll be praying fervently that they don't royally f*ck things up this time.

Mindfire

Istar
On how they were written? Are we talking about the same Original Star Wars films? You know, cheesy one liners, blatant exposition, stilted dialogue? If I recall correctly, most of their revolutionary innovations were in the field of special effects (something ILM is still renowned for).

Not at all; that's exactly the kind of mystical mumbo jumbo EU gets way too much of. Lightsabers are just machines that produce intense energy beams. They're not magical.

That misunderstanding came from playing Star Wars RPG a couple of times years ago and thinking that force was needed to activate them in that.

Anyway, the original Star Wars movies are FUN, but not well-written. I enjoyed the prequel movies, but the relationships were really, really badly written and the rest was written with at least as much competence as the old ones. I enjoyed them for what they were and hope to continue enjoying the follow-ups.

I heard rumor that one of the good things that might come from the acquisition is the re-release of the original originals without the doctoring Lucas did for the anniversary edition a while back (Han Solo can go back to shooting first finally!). Although, I enjoyed the doctoring too with the exception of making him shoot first. Does making him shoot first count as Lucas changing the films to fan fiction?

Zireael

Troubadour
Stormtroopers were a joke. Resurrecting Darth Vader would make no sense. I hope R2D2 and C3PO stay in the sequels.

I think it's a pity the new films are not going to use the EU at all. They'll probably create a broken continuity.

It's true that Ep I-III were created for the generation raised with the flashy visual effects, but they parallel the IV-VI quite nicely.