• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Disscus a scene

I want to write a guard looking for a person .is eye sight,face Expressions,body moments, breathing,and running foot steps. Someone give this scene details

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...first you need a POV character, or narrator. If the POV is the guard, he wont see his own facial expressions. If its the one being chased, they might...if they looked back.

From the Guards perspective, I would focus on thoughts and exertion. A guard may have stuff, like armor, or equipment, making it harder to run, and they may have an attitude...they always run. He may know where they must go, and move to cut them off. He may also be thinking of how much force to use, and how this may all reflect on him.

Same for one running away. They would be focused on escape, and have thoughts about the guard. They may see the visuals...are they in shape, or not in shape? Do they see the belt full of stuff is slowing them down. Is the guard getting tired, is his face turning red. Is he the only guard?

If you have an omniscient POV, you might look to things like his eyes very focused, and his cheeks puffing.

No he was running with shocking news.

That's why oh I write a shocking and thinking about something he didn't know

How would I describe a this face Expressions

Mad Swede

Auror
I am not good at face Expressions write that's why
Find a mirror and, standing in front of it, look at the reflection of your face. Now pull a few faces and think how you might describe them. Think about how you react when you're frightened or surprised or angry. Then try to think how your face reacts and try to put that expression on your face. Try to find words to describe those expressions. Look at pictures of people who are angry etc and try to describe them in words. Practice. It's the only way you ever learn to write.

Incanus

Auror
Maybe take a step back.

Writing is (usually) a skill that takes time to develop. Keep practicing. If you improve your general narration and description skills, this particular problem will become easier. Managing details is a lot of what writing is all about. If your scene is compelling enough, you may not need very many details about facial expressions.

Good luck!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Im just gonna say, the stuff you are asking for strikes me as stuff anyone with any skill at writing ought to be able to produce. If this is really your hurdle, I think your going to need more than just some suggestions for one scene. I would suggest starting in the way Mr. Swede has suggested.

The news was shocking. He had to tell someone. He ran down the street with his eyes wide and focused only the urgency of his news, and on his sole destination. His face flush, his mouth agape, he ran so hard he must breathe in heavy breaths.

What other expression is needed?

Incanus

Auror
I can't help but wonder why this guard's facial expression is the most important thing in the whole story. I'm skeptical about that.

Is this flash fiction?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I can't help but wonder why this guard's facial expression is the most important thing in the whole story. I'm skeptical about that.

Is this flash fiction?
Which reminds me that I was wanting to comment:

Does the expression really matter all that much? Sometimes the play by play does not matter as much as the outcome. Whether I say, he had his mouth open, or his eyes open, or that they were both closed, the end result is, he moved from one place to another, and had an urgency to it.

What is the reader going to care about?

While its important to paint the picture in your head, and convey the meaning well, sometimes we fret over little things, and let them drain too much from the rest of the effort.

I think you’d do better to just try and write the scene. If you wanted us to look at it you could post it up on critique requests.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I agree with Finchbearer. Write something. Anything. It is very difficult to give feedback on nothing.

I also agree with Mad Swede; look at your own face. Or look at any sort of graphics, whether a painting or a comic book that portrays faces. Write your own description of what you see. This advice is by way of giving you a place to start.