• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does this background make sense or is it implausible?

Hi! My name is Nathan and this'll be my first post here so i'l keep it short.

The novel I'm writing is set in a post apocalyptic scenario, so humans are scarce. It's also set 1,500 years into the future, so keep that in mind if you give feedback. So here goes:

In the year 2057 every Super-Volcano in the world erupts simultaneously (which is caused by the demons in my story, but i'll get into that in a different thread ) which triggers earthquakes and sulfur rain from the ash worldwide. The sky fills with ash which blocks out a lot of the sun's light triggering a miniature ice age in colder climates and lowers the temperature drastically worldwide. Within a month the last of the ash settles and within 50 years the temperature returns to near-normal. Practically all of humanity and many species of animal were wiped out, and the only surviving humans are living in small communities of 100-1000 depending on location. Electricity is gone in this world as the ash and cold temperatures destroyed all of the power-plants and cables, etc. so things such as cars and the likes are used as scraps to build houses and the metal melted down for tools. As the years pass humanity evolves (or you could call it DE-volves) and we revert to living like people in the medieval era, as humans are nowhere near the capacity to bring back things such as electricity, and with no way to keep notes other than writing, the ideas and formula needed to do such a feat are changed and eventually lost

Religion by 1000 years into the future has also changed and the new religion is much different that it is now (much more like Greek, but without all the mythical creatures) but i'll ask all my questions about that in a different thread. :p

And that's basically it. If there are massive holes in my theory or it seems like i've missed something important out, PLEASE tell me because i want my story to make sense. Also, do you like this theory? Does it make sense you? Could you offer me any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks in advance for any help.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Mostly phausible.

First...there are a lot of people out there who know enough to keep some forms of technology going. Taking the fan and alternator assemblies from old cars, attach long blades to the fan, and sticking it atop a tall post in a windy area to provide some electrity for example. Or 'micro-hydro electric' projects. Either is within the capabilities of a competent mechanic type, and the raw materials for this will be around for a long, long time after the catastrophe you describe.

Second...you have education. To devolve to a middle ages stage of existence, you have to actively suppress education. Once ordinary people start getting educated, the whole system falls apart.

That said, yes a great deal would be lost. However, there would be a lot of surprising high tech hold overs as well.

In addition to what ThinkerX said, if you want it to revert to the medieval era, make it longer since the eruptions, giving your humans more time to lose their knowledge of technology. Time couldn't be the only factor though, so you might want to throw another wrench in the destruction.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but ash clouds from "Super-Volcano" eruptions would take more than a month if it happened all over the world. You might want to look into that. Try reading about the formation of earth, because it was something similar to that, massive explosions making ash clouds, which eventually blocked the sun causing the volcanoes to cool down allowing life to begin on earth. Again, look more into that, I may be completely wrong.

Last thing, ash wouldn't cause any damage to generators and power plants, would it? Maybe if things were solar powered, yes, but ash just buries everything.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Last thing, ash wouldn't cause any damage to generators and power plants, would it? Maybe if things were solar powered, yes, but ash just buries everything.

If the ash buries everything, wouldn't that mean it would clog up the mechanisms and things of generators and such? That would probably cause quite a lot of trouble.

Jess A

Archmage
You could consider having crazy religious groups ban all technology, kill scientists etc. Just as another angle.

Canz

Dreamer
You could consider having crazy religious groups ban all technology, kill scientists etc. Just as another angle.

This is a nice solution to the "surviving technology problem". So what was it that triggered the Volcanos in the first place? Global Warming? And what caused global warming? A group of crazy religious radicals angry about everything that happened might be the perfect solution.
Even finding some buried functioning technology might be really, really dangerous if they find out. Technology would be a really rare black market sort of item.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
So what was it that triggered the Volcanos in the first place? Global Warming? And what caused global warming? A group of crazy religious radicals angry about everything that happened might be the perfect solution.

No, Nathan said that demons set off the volcanos.

My question is, why just Super-Volcanos? And why all of them? How many are there, anyway? There is just one or two that I am aware of, Yellowstone and one in Russia (I think, mebbe). Yellowstone by itself should be enough to blast us back to the stone age fairly efficiently. Why not blow all the volcanos around the world, period? What were the demons trying to do, and if it was to eliminate life on this planet then why did they fail?

You'll learn, I'm the evil "why?" monster. ;)

There have been mass extinctions in Earth's past caused by a single Super-Volcano eruption. It has been theorized by some that the loss of mega fauna in North and South America was potentially caused by one - either that, or a meteor impact. Check that out. I would also check out massive volcano eruptions to make sure you have your time frames accurate. Off the top of my head, I honestly cannot say if yours is or is not, but research always tells in the end. Nerds reign victorious!

Last edited:
There's ~6 known supervolcanoes depending on how you define a supervolcano.

I've always heard it would take ~1-2 years for the ash to settle, and if you launch all six supervolcanoes, with chain reactions occurring throughout the Earth probably, we're talking enough ash to almost wholly block out the sun, immediately dropping the temperature of the earth (at least the parts not on fire) down to coldest temperatures ever range.

North America is basically gone with 3 supervolcanoes, including the second largest. Human kind was knocked down to ~10K (supposedly) way back when by the Toba supervolcano (the largest), but that was before technology. Anyone that survives would probably turn on each other in a mad scramble for resources.

You also pretty much have to assume that there's a supervolcano somewhere in the ocean which we haven't found yet.

I'd be most concerned by the composition of the atmosphere. You're going to be dealing with global anoxic events.

Thanks for all the advice so far... I'm not amazing at geography so you've helped me fill in a lot of gaps :D And like Ireth said, as ash settled it would get into gaps and wiring and deal quite a large amount of damage. Also, with 6 (minimum) eruptions it would make quite the substantial amount of damage. Also, i'll raise the duration post-eruption to 10 thousand before i start my story. This makes my theory of Chinese whispers making ideas about technology being lost more plausible. Also, the humans in this scenario are never able to unite with countries unless they're connected by land, so the UK, where my story is set, will be cut off from the rest of the world. Also, I am just about to post a thread about my demons, so if you look on my profile you should be able to find it if you have any questions about them and what their goals are.