• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dreams

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Androxine Vortex said:
Nope. Inception is a fantastic movie. Argument won.
;)

I hated inception.

Everything was explained by "It must be deeper in the dream."

After the 3rd time hearing that, it felt stale. The 4th time I tuned out.

Sometime I dream of people I know, that never ends well... Something bad always happens to them. And yes I do know how crazy that sounds.

Sometimes I think that since we don't fully understand the brain we will never understand dreams. We can try but I don't think we will ever really know the whys and hows of them, nor be able to tap into the full potential of them.
Just my two cents.

Before I went to bed last night I watch a bunch of Big bang Theory episodes and my dream was that I was with the entire BBT cast and we were all playing mini golf. That's all that happened, nothing much. Now I am going to watch a bunch of videos about famous rich people that live in mansions and see what happens! Hopefully I wont just be playing golf with them lol

LOL, Good luck! But really stop and thing about it a sec. Would you rather be playing golf with the jet set or carrying their clubs?

Last edited:

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Ever heard the song by Heart, "These Dreams"? (If not, see below).

That is how I feel about my dreams: I live entire life times in them over the span of several months. It's always the same me, but I meet different people and make different life choices. Sometimes those lives are so much better than my life now that I can't wait to go back to sleep and continue my dream life. I know I'm a little crazy. But, it's also given me a lot of inspiration in my writing. I can look at a character's choice and see the options left to them after they decide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taro

Minstrel
my dreams are really weird, some are nice and cool and some a just outright scary. i do love the fantasy ones i get occasionally, i love how i live different lives, meet different people and do things differently.

Every so often I have a dream so vivid, so deep, that I want to write a book about the experience. Haven't written any of them yet, but the impressions never go away. They're not the classic sorts of dreams, either, like running through a forest. They're usually about tests or competitions of some kind with very specific rules.

I believe, as Jung did, that dreams express the things going on in our subconscious. They can even tap into archetypes, which are basic elements of the human condition. As writers, we want readers to identify with our characters, so these dreams are like cheat sheets.

Jess A

Archmage
Note to self: Don't post while sleepy... it ends up looking like a bunch of Monkeys jumped on the keys! :eek: Sorry!

-Chuckle- I'm sitting at Hong Kong airport trying to stay awake after hours and hours and hours of delays. It's probably a mistake to be on here. But I am a little bored after 18 hours' delay.

----

The other night, I dreamt I was flying over an ocean so fast the water was tearing against my skin. It was very colourful, too. Not sure where that came from.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Every so often I have a dream so vivid, so deep, that I want to write a book about the experience. Haven't written any of them yet, but the impressions never go away. They're not the classic sorts of dreams, either, like running through a forest. They're usually about tests or competitions of some kind with very specific rules.

I believe, as Jung did, that dreams express the things going on in our subconscious. They can even tap into archetypes, which are basic elements of the human condition. As writers, we want readers to identify with our characters, so these dreams are like cheat sheets.

I agree with this, thanks for saying it. I actually started my first novel based off of a dream I had about two strangers in an elevator that fell to the bottom of the shaft. The dream was so vivid and I woke up to write it all down. Sadly, that story was almost complete and stupid me didn't back it up and my computer'd hard drive fried. I sobbed inconsolably and learned my lesson. :)

I get a lot of my story ideas from the few dreams I do have that make any sort of sense.
However, awhile back I made the decision to hang a Dream Catcher above my sleeping area because I was having some trippy dreams that were starting to bother me.

Not that I had a strong belief in the item before that started mind you. It was more out of sheer desperation to cese the endless flow of nighttime carnage. For some reason it worked and I have not dreamed at all since it went up, unless of course I happen to fall out in my chair or something then I tend to have my normal silly dreams about dancing flowers and talking trees... All I need is a chocolate river and my dreams could rewrite Willy Wonka!

As a side note, my father who is a card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation swore by Dream Catchers' when I was a child.
All us kids had one that he made for us, that hung over our beds from birth until we either lost them, they fell apart, or as was my case packed it away in a box along with the other items of childhood I had outgrown.

I can't help but sometimes wonder if I were to take it down again would the strange dreams return? It would be cool to test it but the mind would not cooperate, not many people dream in predictable patterns. Sadly the only way to really test it would be to slip into a coma or sleep for a month and have total recall of every dream you had while under. Having someone remove the D.C. without the sleeper having been warned in any way before hand a day or two after the prolonged slumber began. Now that I think of it sleeping beauty would really come in handy right about now eh.

There is so much we just do not understand about preception, and the human mind as a whole that I can't rule out that some people have dreams that tell of up comming events, or even dreams that help one gain insight into vexing issues they were not able to figure out before.

Maybe someday...

My experiance with the D.C. as an adult was convincing enough that I will be passing along the tradition my father started to my own children, along with the know how to make their own, just like daddy taught us. If nothing else, perhaps when they get older they will someday tell the silly story just as I now have done.

Last edited:
I had a weird dream last night that my father and I went to this place that was kind of like Seaworld. It was nighttime and we were in a large pool where they let you swim with turtles but they also had a tranquilized killer whale and they let us swim around inside of it's body. It was very...disturbing.

:eek2: Has someone been reading Moby Dick and watching Free Willy????

lol no but I have noticed that if I watch something before I go to bed then I usually dream about it. Like when I had a dream where I was playing mini golf with the Big Bang Theory cast I had just got done watching a BBT marathon and then literally went to sleep five minutes later. It doesn't work if I read though but this has happened to me on several occasions.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Here's a dream I had in high school (when it was a little more pertinent). I was driving around in Johnson Park with my best friend Craig. He was driving, I was riding in his mom's 94 Taurus wagon.. yeah it was purple. Anyways, I had this cardboard box in my lap and I was like trying to keep it closed as Craig raced through the winding curves of the park.

In the box was a black cat, and no matter how I tried to keep it in, it was like a cartoon cat and its tail or a claw, or its head would be sicking out some opening of the box.

That was the whole dream. I knew if I let the cat out of the box something bad was going to happen, but I never found out what.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Oh man, here's another from high school... You can't make this kind of weirdness up!

I was sitting at the cafeteria table with my friends, who in my dream included Tony the Tiger and several of my nerdy friends dressed in soccer jerseys. And we were getting ready for a game, and Woody Woodpecker flew by, weraing a giant cooked turkey, as in, he was in it, and only his head was sticking out.

Yeah... don't hate me because I'm deranged.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Another thing about dreams... sometimes they disrupt my life. Like, the Xmas story you had when you were 10... I have those once in a while. I don't remember them most of the time, or just catch the tail end of them, but I've berated my husband for being mean to me and then I realize it was just a dream... feels too real though.

AND... I rarely have sex dreams, but there is absolutely one time I always have them... when I start a new job (or similar thing, like when I joined the band, etc.) There's nothing worse than starting a new job and having an intimate dream about a few people at the office (male or female, all manner of PG-13 to X ratedness). It's awful, and I dread having to try to look at people the next day, because I can feel my face go all red when they say something to me, and even if I don't remember the dream, it's like my brain does and starts sending me images of it.