1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Endings: subtle v. overt?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Steerpike, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

I'd be brave and say; end with a bang, unless the whole story has been one of subtlness. The reader deserves to know what the end game is.

2. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Good luck: it's always a tightrope. Hard to know until you put it in front of a reader. I'd offer to read, but if it's the Mesoamerican sisters story I think I already have?

Steerpike likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Yes, it's that story, though substantially expanded and with the POV switched to the younger (by minutes) twin, instead of the dominant sister. I think some of the initial problems I had in the story were due to having chosen the wrong POV character. Now that I'm using the other sister, I'm able to focus more on her own internal conflict, and her divided loyalties to herself, her father, and her contemporary city versus the desires of her older twin. Nothing to do but finish the draft and see if it even works :)

4. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Heh, I'm the older of twin sisters...should totally get my sister to refer to me as the dominant twin xD. Twelve whole minutes, baby.

Legendary Sidekick and Steerpike like this.
  5. Holoman

Holoman Troubadour

Personally I hate ambiguous endings. But, if something is obvious I don't like it being spelled out like to a child.