1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Fantasy artists found online

Discussion in 'Fantasy Art' started by Jess A, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jess A

Jess A Archmage

Hi all,

I stumbled across this link today: Laura Diehl Illustration - Freelance Fantasy Illustrator | Children's Fantasy Illustrator | Science Fiction Illustrator

I love her artwork! I would definitely consider commissioning her for a book cover (which she does). If I had a novel finished...

Book covers (hover over each picture and the book itself with the cover shows up):

Laura Diehl Illustration - Freelance Fantasy Illustrator | Children's Fantasy Illustrator | Science Fiction Illustrator

Anyone else found any nice stuff like this? I tend to float around Deviant Art a lot, admiring artwork. Colour and detail attracts me - as does anything with stars and galaxies. I love looking at the cover artwork on books I buy.

Jamber and Steerpike like this.
  2. Aravelle

Aravelle Sage

I know plenty of artists that are on dA that do gorgeous cover work. Funny enough, I usually find those not by hunting on the site but through tumblr.

3. Jess A

Jess A Archmage

Care to share some of those artists' links with me?

4. Jamber

Jamber Sage

Hi Jess A,
    she's seriously good at what she does. I'd definitely approach her if I was writing a children's book.
    A friend of mine does some fantasy-oriented animal art. It's not the kind of stuff that would suit my writing, but I'll put it out there anyway:
    The Art of Wingdom is on exhibition at Randalls on the Beach - Arts & Entertainment - Lifestyle - Express Advocate Wyong Edition
    and
    zoefletcher.com - Home (you have to browse to find the best stuff, but some of her pictures are amazing).
    My kind of fantasy art is a little darker and more fluid, but I wouldn't mind being able to do tigers the way Zoe Fletcher can.
    cheers
    Jennie

Jess A likes this.
  5. Mindfire

Mindfire Istar

Filk, Jamber and Jess A like this.
  6. Jess A

Jess A Archmage

Jamber:

Wow! Those are incredible! I adore animal and nature art, so these are fantastic. Another artist I adore is Goldenwolf, though I prefer my werewolves a little scarier (depending on the context). Good to see Zoe Fletcher is a local artist, too (local as far as country goes - NSW isn't exactly local to me :p ).

Goldenwolf: Goldenwolfen.com - The artwork of Christy Grandjean

If you ever want to share your art, I would love to see it. I saw your horse portrait - that was impressive! I do some art, too, but I don't draw or paint much anymore. I sketch rough ideas out. I should really get back into it.

These are slightly darker: HieronyusBerruecos on deviantART

Mindfire:

I spent ages trying to make a map when I went overseas last year. The weather was utterly disagreeable so I worked on my novel. I looked at a lot of maps on this site and was impressed with some of the art. Thanks for the link - I wish I'd had it last year :p I think I did a good job with the map and geography, but I haven't yet done the fillings or the art - just the basic outline using a free program. I printed it off and used a pencil to annotate everything - I'm used to doing maps completely by hand. I think on this site a lot of them are done with photoshop and such. It'd be great to experiment with these styles.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. Jamber

Jamber Sage

I checked out all those links -- some really lovely spirited work in there. I'm a sucker for the wolf ones, Jess A. The maps are terrific too, Mindfire. I have to say though, Nihal's work on this site is fabulous.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Jess A -- totally off the fantasy subject, if you want to see some 'art', here's a chicken painting I did a while back, when I was trying to learn to paint something that wasn't horses:

[​IMG]

I didn't know of anyone else painting chicken portraits so it seemed a fun idea at the time. I sold a few and then petered out... My knowledge of technique was limited and I didn't know how to expand on it because I was too busy to go to classes. But I got my favourite rooster on canvas so all was not lost!

cheers
    Jennie

Jess A likes this.
  8. Jess A

Jess A Archmage

Butterfly - always fun to look at!

Jennie: Goodness - you are very talented! The detail is stunning! I don't have the patience to do art like that. There is something almost human about the chicken's expression, as though he is thinking about something.

I like Nihal's stuff as well. She is quite the artist too.

Nihal and Jamber like this.
  9. sara-helwe

sara-helwe New Member

Wow she's amazing *_*

10. Addison

Addison Auror

Laura's art is beautiful. Thank you so much for the link, I bookmarked her site. :)

11. Stevenmlong

Stevenmlong Dreamer

Here are a couple I like:

Kiri Moth

I love Kurt Huggins and Zelda Devon at Teeteringbulb!

I'm always half-hunting for artists that I really like.

Addison likes this.
  12. Addison

Addison Auror

Incredible art. Thanks for the link Steve.

13. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Auror

I got linked to Alexander Casteels off of TV Tropes. He's a bit grim for my taste, but I can't deny his skill--if you write dark fantasy, there are plotbunnies galore to be snatched up here.