1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Fantasy Must Read List

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Joe the Gnarled, Jul 11, 2011.

1. kjbartolotta

kjbartolotta Dreamer

Since we're naming off the classics here, I would highly recommend both Hesiod's Theogony and his Works and Days, usually packaged in the same slim volume. You get both epic worldbuilding and a cranky but empathetic look at the tribulations of Bronze Age life among the common folk.

Dark Lord Thomas Pie likes this.
  2. Cu Mara

Cu Mara Dreamer

Yes! I love the “Green Rider” series too, very much worth the mention.

3. Jack in the Green

Jack in the Green Dreamer

Yes! I loved Battlefield Earth. Great adventure. I could read it again.

4. Futhark

Futhark Inkling

KATHERINE KERR
    The Deverry Cycle is a series of Celtic fantasy novels by Katharine Kerr set in the fictional land of Deverry. As of November 2009, fifteen books have been published in the series. Wikipedia

SIMON R. GREEN
    Hawk and Fisher
    The Forest Kingdom
    Nightside books
    Simon R. Green bibliography - Wikipedia

The Burning City and The Burning Tower, by American writers Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
    Set in the same timeline as The Magic Goes Away

The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley. Dark fantasy/horror fiction.
    Brian Lumley - Wikipedia

Rkcapps likes this.
  5. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Sage

Fulhark, that Deverry series is one of my favs :)

Futhark likes this.
  6. Ban

Ban Sir Laserface Article Team

Four years have passed since this massive list Mytho. How big is it by now?

7. He was racist

8. Vicki27

Vicki27 Minstrel

Many of my favourite authors on the list, any of David Gemmell's books are good reading. Has anyone read Garth Nix, his necromancer trilogy is very good. I love the fact that in the original list, I have read most of the 19th and 20th century titles, most of them in the days when libraries were just on your doorstep and you could take out 6 or 8 books and binge read. Hmmmm that makes me feel old :(

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Yep. I enjoy both Gemmell and Nix.

FYI--Garth Nix currently has a story posted on Tor.com.

10. Does it have to be Fantasy, or just spec fic in general? Because: 1984 by George Orwell.

11. neodoering

neodoering Minstrel

I'm currently reading The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, which is a thick compendium (1020 pages) of leather-bound bookmaking. Love his poems and his prose both, so much that I am working on a short Poe-esque story set in Egypt in the late 19th century. It needs works, but so far it is promising.

12. Mad Swede

Mad Swede Minstrel

I've just finished re-reading CS Lewis' "The Horse and His Boy". There is a book which I feel should be on every aspiring fanstasy writers must read list (yes, I know the Narnia books were listed in the first post!). And for why? Well, I've always been hugely impressed by the way in which Lewis creates the realm of Calormen and details it in the first 100 pages or so. The food, the politics, its society. And it really is quite grim and dark - the way Lewis describes the scene where the Tisroc discusses Rabadash' plans to take Archenland with the Grand Vizier, and calmly notes that failure will likely mean Rabadash' death (so removing a threat to the Tisroc's rule) is an amazing bit of cynical realism for a childrens book. People talk about George Martin and Joe Abercrombie being dark and cynical, but in many ways Lewis got there first with this book.