• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite beer

If you like your liquid bunt cake, get an Old Fog Horn... Mmmm, delicious raisin beer (it exists, and I hate it).

Really, the best beers are the seasonal ones. This time of year I will drink myself ill with stuff like Winter Solstice from Anderson Valley, Anchor Holiday Ale (Christmas), and some obscure spicy, orangy goodness from smaller brewers... Winter is coming, and it brings the delicious!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Guinness

2 reasons:

* I prefer dark beer over light, though I rarely drink either.

* A story I heard from a colleague about a boy who wore a "Guinness" shirt to school. He was asked to change his shirt because it was inappropriate. His mom was upset that she had to bring her son a new shirt because the school felt it's message was detrimental to education. "How is this shirt not related to education?" Mom demanded to know. "It says 'genius!'"

(I actually had a Guinness last night. That's probably my third beer all year and first after-work beer in my entire life, just to give an idea how unlikely it is for me to have "had a beer last night.")

STEALTH EDIT - I tried grog once. That was good! Maybe that deserved the #1 spot, but I only had one in my life.

Guinness

2 reasons:

* I prefer dark beer over light, though I rarely drink either.

* A story I heard from a colleague about a boy who wore a "Guinness" shirt to school. He was asked to change his shirt because it was inappropriate. His mom was upset that she had to bring her son a new shirt because the school felt it's message was detrimental to education. "How is this shirt not related to education?" Mom demanded to know. "It says 'genius!'"

(I actually had a Guinness last night. That's probably my third beer all year and first after-work beer in my entire life, just to give an idea how unlikely it is for me to have "had a beer last night.")

STEALTH EDIT - I tried grog once. That was good! Maybe that deserved the #1 spot, but I only had one in my life.

I have your #3...

It (along with other British ales and stouts) are filtered with Cod Bladder. It gives the drink its signature clearness.

So yes, you can TECHNICALLY call it piss water... And that's the best kind of right there is.

Jess A

Archmage
Hmm. I love to try new beers. These days I drink light beer (James Boags**) because I don't drink much at all; my years of overindulgence are long over. But I'll often try out new stuff if I feel partial to a full-strength. I like stronger beers, ales, stouts etc. I like Guinness but also things like Newcastle Brown ale. When I go overseas I try the local stuff. I'm not a big fan of sweet beers. Australia comes out with some nice stuff.

It nearly being Christmas, I think it's time to head down and see what new things I can try! I usually get some International beers for Christmas as well, which is great.

**Used to be Tasmanian Cascade but for some reason I can't drink the stuff anymore!

Anthony

Acolyte
I really liked a beer i had in Korea called Cass. Didn't taste too impressive but i could drink barrels of the stuff without getting hungover. In Australia i would prefer Asahi but thats always the higher cost of most beers.

Me and Sheila had a good conversation about this quite a while ago, good to see there's a new beer thread.

I'm one of those people who don't get on with spirits, so I enjoy a lot of beers and ales. I don't really have a favourite, just whatever my current mood is telling me to go for. I do have a group of beers and ales that make up part of my regular drinking choices, including Old Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin (I enjoy it because it feels fitting for a fantasy writer ;)), Bishop's Finger, Banana Bread Beer is a really interesting one, Honeydew cider, etc.

Drinking in pubs is getting very expensive here in the UK though.

Jess A

Archmage
Drinking in pubs is getting very expensive here in the UK though.

Prices are ridiculous in Australia, too. Absolutely ridiculous - I rarely drink when I go out, I stick to the free water or buy a pint of beer and hover over that for a few hours. I went to the US last year and the year before and it was so cheap to go out and buy drinks there. So cheap.

Sparkie

Auror
Prices are ridiculous in Australia, too. Absolutely ridiculous - I rarely drink when I go out, I stick to the free water or buy a pint of beer and hover over that for a few hours. I went to the US last year and the year before and it was so cheap to go out and buy drinks there. So cheap.

We Americans do the cheap beer thing better than any country in the world. Reaver's post about the PBR and pork rinds? Absolutely true.

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
My favorite beer is Shipyard's XXXX, a silky smooth belgian quad from a brewery in Maine. I'm not sure of its availability outside of New England. I also highly recommend Avery's The Reverend, Rogue Dead Guy, and Southern Tier Old Man. I've never had a bad beer from any of the breweries in the preceding sentence. If you enjoy beer and stop in Cambridge, Massachusetts without a trip to the Cambridge Brewing Company...shame on you. The craft scene in that area of the country has really blown up the last few years.

If I'm drinking cheap stuff, it's Narragansett or the High Life for me. I was once a regular at a place that thought it was funny to serve me High Life in a champagne flute.